U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:03 PM

4,469 posts, read 8,504,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are plenty of straight people in Greenwich village. Even your link lists straight people there. Hell, I know plenty of straight people who live in Greenwich village. Having a few gay landmarks and a part in US gay history does not make the entire neighborhood gay or even mostly gay.
You never admit when you are wrong huh? LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 02:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,377,182 times
I don't think Greenwich village is the "best" neighborhood in NYC. Half of my family is from there, and even they'll probably say it isn't the "best". It's probably Soho or Tribeca.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:33 PM

22,694 posts, read 24,168,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
You never admit when you are wrong huh? LOL.
I understand why you would think that because there are gay people there and there are gay landmarks, but that doesn't make it mostly gay. If you were going for diversity of sexual orientation, then Greenwich village would probably "score" pretty high.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:34 PM

23,126 posts, read 35,487,980 times
Ask ten different people this question in Atlanta (or any other city) and you'll get ten different answers. I think conventional wisdom here would give you Buckhead as an answer. My answer? Ansley Park.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:33 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,120,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrsonSwells89 View Post
The village NYC
Not by a longshot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Fort Greene, Brooklyn. Maybe.
Not a fan, but intersted on why it was your pick. I like brooklyn, and my favorite brooklyn nabes are actually, Bed Stuy and Cobble Hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
That is not the best neighborhood lol. It is not well-diversed lol. There are mainly Gay People there. I would say Downtown Manhattan. There are different people Straight, Bi, Gay, etc...
I think that may have been true at one time, but today the nabe is mostly full of rich people that live their because of the nabes name recognition. I would say that description is more suited to Chelsea (which I like better than the village).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't think Greenwich village is the "best" neighborhood in NYC. Half of my family is from there, and even they'll probably say it isn't the "best". It's probably Soho or Tribeca.
Too all you Nyers I'm saying that my favorite nabe is Harlem. I love the feel and culture of it. I love that although gentrification has occured there is still a feel of NYC that is sadly gone from most of manhattan. I'm sure you guys will knock me, but I will say that uptown is the only part of manhattan where you don't feel that pseudo NYC feel. There is no trendy hipster vibe, and nabes are still in existence and as in old NYC blocks matter and change in the blink of an eye.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:41 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,377,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Not by a longshot.

Not a fan, but intersted on why it was your pick. I like brooklyn, and my favorite brooklyn nabes are actually, Bed Stuy and Cobble Hill.

I think that may have been true at one time, but today the nabe is mostly full of rich people that live their because of the nabes name recognition. I would say that description is more suited to Chelsea (which I like better than the village).

Too all you Nyers I'm saying that my favorite nabe is Harlem. I love the feel and culture of it. I love that although gentrification has occured there is still a feel of NYC that is sadly gone from most of manhattan. I'm sure you guys will knock me, but I will say that uptown is the only part of manhattan where you don't feel that pseudo NYC feel. There is no trendy hipster vibe, and nabes are still in existence and as in old NYC blocks matter and change in the blink of an eye.
I don't think Harlem is in the category of nicer neighborhoods in the city, but you're right about the gentrification and non-hipster vibe of it all. It's one of the very few places in the city that has that "old NY" feel to it

Old 06-22-2009, 12:41 PM

893 posts, read 2,534,598 times
Upper East Side IMO is the best neighborhood in the city. It seems to be the place where the New Yorks best want to live.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't think Harlem is in the category of nicer neighborhoods in the city, but you're right about the gentrification and non-hipster vibe of it all. It's one of the very few places in the city that has that "old NY" feel to it
NYC wasn't suppose to be the Disneyland that Lower Manhattan is. I agree that it's not the nicest, but IMO one of the best. Intimidating to outsiders, but in reality its full of genuine people and families making it work. Once you understand it, you wonder and laugh at how every one else is so wrong about it. Kind of like what NYC has always been.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Upper East Side IMO is the best neighborhood in the city. It seems to be the place where the New Yorks best want to live.
The Upper Eastside is OK, my favorite part of the UES is Carnegie Hill, but overall I prefer the west side, because it has more of a neighborhood feel to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or