U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,148,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Wouldn't work in any other city.
Cash Cab
You mean besides Toronto, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:37 PM

32,347 posts, read 55,157,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't work for Chicago. Maybe DC and LA would fit in the equation.
As someone whose lived in(And loves) LA, trust me when I say that people of the kind of intellectual caliber needed to answer questions of Cash Cab usually don't take cabs in Los Angeles.

Its seen as emergency transport for poor people or for travelers. Not for a quick trip to the other side of town for a show or a meal.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,076,905 times
It would probably work in other US cities , but it would be much more difficult to find contestants for. They would also have to look into the what the pay is for the questions, because in other cities people usually travel longer distances in Taxis. It just makes the most sense to have it in NYC.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:58 AM

185 posts, read 581,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
Another reason it would only work in NYC is that people take cabs short distances (say 40 blocks). If you had it in another city you might have someone asking to go miles.
This is because cash cab only ventures in Manhattan (in the lower half) it never ventures far uptown or to any of the other 4 boroughs, if so you could have a cab going for miles.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 AM

177 posts, read 428,805 times
This is a good show. If it were in any city other than NYC, it would have to be another city with a lot of cabs, and fairly high density over a sizeable central area. So I think it would easily work in Chicago, and probably DC and SF as well.

Downtown chicago (River North/Loop) is a lot smaller than NYC's (midtown/downtown), but people also still take tons of cabs on the northside (Gold Coast - Rogers Park), west loop and south loop as well between all these areas. The distances are usually pretty short, and cabs are in heavy supply in these areas, so its very easy to get another one if you get your third strike. In any central area of chicago cabbies will beep at you if you are just standing on the side of the street, to see if they can pick you up. Cabs are everywhere here and people usually use them for short distance travel anyway.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 AM

689 posts, read 1,210,226 times
I know someone who has been on the show before. The cab ride part is setup and staged. They get the people off the street and then tell them to get into the cab and where their "destination" is.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:33 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,903,922 times
I would say it could work in Chicago and San Francisco as they are very taxi-oriented cities as well. San Francisco especially because most people would rather take a cab than walk up those gigantic steep hills by themselves hehehe.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,736 times
Default You Tube: Cleveland Cash Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'm beginning to think that Cash Cab is America's secret favorite game show. I think part of the appeal of the show is that it couldn't happen in many other places.
search you tube: Cleveland Cash Cab

Old 07-11-2009, 11:06 AM

1,512 posts, read 7,267,763 times
What about Philadelphia?

Old 07-11-2009, 04:43 PM

402 posts, read 760,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyes86 View Post
This is because cash cab only ventures in Manhattan (in the lower half) it never ventures far uptown or to any of the other 4 boroughs, if so you could have a cab going for miles.
I know that they don't take people out into Queens or something, and that they have to go short distances, but enough people are going short distances that it is realistic. Also, if that person is right, I didn't know they set it up and told people where to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or