Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Homicide/crime rates can be misleading for a city. Being in Baltimore, I am very familiar with them. Yet, I really don't feel affected by them because I am not out dealing drugs in the middle of the night. I know NYC and Chicago have lesser rates but there are neighborhoods in both of those cities that I feel are way more dangerous than Baltimore. Yet, the entire city gets the reputation as either safer of more dangerous.
I am disgusted by Baltimore's rate and wish there would be less crime but I don't really feel unsafe in the city. Maybe it would be more accurate to do crime/homicide rates by zip code or some other way?
I agree.......Many of the homicides in this country have to do with the type of lifestyle one leads, not necessarily where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 11:09 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
In 2008 Detroit had 33.8 murders per 100,000 people. New Orleans had 63.7 per 100,000 , higher than any other city in the country.
I knew New Orleans was higher. I just didn't crunch the numbers.. but the the 'Murder Capital' was based on cities with 500,000 or more people.

I just don't trust the FBI website. Obviously, some cities are under reporting their statistics. Cleveland's homicides were about 40 off. That's alarming. The fact that the FBI doesn't even notice how off these stats are makes them a pretty unreliable source.

And I agree that most homicides are a result to drugs, gangs, etc.. But there are an alarming number of homicides in Cleveland that are robbery related - teens just shooting who they robbed for no apparent reason.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:32 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I knew New Orleans was higher. I just didn't crunch the numbers.. but the the 'Murder Capital' was based on cities with 500,000 or more people.

I just don't trust the FBI website. Obviously, some cities are under reporting their statistics. Cleveland's homicides were about 40 off. That's alarming. The fact that the FBI doesn't even notice how off these stats are makes them a pretty unreliable source.

And I agree that most homicides are a result to drugs, gangs, etc.. But there are an alarming number of homicides in Cleveland that are robbery related - teens just shooting who they robbed for no apparent reason.
Do you think New Orleans honestly reports all of their murders. No way. The FBI officially named New Orleans the Murder Capital this year and last year. I hate to say it. Because it makes the city look so bad when it's only a certain % of the pop. that actually killing each other and it's not like random tourists get popped on the street.

If New Orleans had as many people as detroit and it kept the same murder rate it would still be worse than Detroit and the capital because the # of murders would be higher.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:31 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,737 times
Are the top five highest murder rates for big cities: New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis and Newark?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,967 times
Chicago Is The Murder Capital This City Was Built On Corruption And Has Always Been Home To Gangster's. In The Early 1900's There Was Capone And The Mob. Once The Italian's Were Either Killed Or Arrested And Organized Crime Was Diminished The Street Gangs As We Know Them Today Came. With GD's, VL's, LK's, Stone's, And Many More Gangs That Are All Over The Country. Chicago Is Nicknamed "Gang Town". I Read That 8 Of The 10 US Poorest Neighborhoods Are In Chicago. There Project's Are The Most Dangerous In The US (Although, They Have Been Tore Down And Have Gotten A Little Better). Chicago Has The Most Murder's. Not All That 100,000/Person Stuff. Shear Murders.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,967 times
I Also Dont Want To Hear That Chicago Is Much Bigger Then Other Cities Because New York And Los Angeles Are Much Bigger Then Chicago Yet Chicago Has More Murders. ThanX

Old 10-01-2009, 12:46 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLilEastSide View Post
Chicago Is The Murder Capital This City Was Built On Corruption And Has Always Been Home To Gangster's. In The Early 1900's There Was Capone And The Mob. Once The Italian's Were Either Killed Or Arrested And Organized Crime Was Diminished The Street Gangs As We Know Them Today Came. With GD's, VL's, LK's, Stone's, And Many More Gangs That Are All Over The Country. Chicago Is Nicknamed "Gang Town". I Read That 8 Of The 10 US Poorest Neighborhoods Are In Chicago. There Project's Are The Most Dangerous In The US (Although, They Have Been Tore Down And Have Gotten A Little Better). Chicago Has The Most Murder's. Not All That 100,000/Person Stuff. Shear Murders.
You must be so proud.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Poor New Orleans. Its more worse than Detroit
more worser - not more worse.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:41 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,622 times
IMO most big cities have their parts that are grimy- NYC, LA, Miami, Atlanta, Philly, DC among others, but you can still navigate them well and safe enough if your street smart.

Then you have that other class of cities regardless of size where it really doesn't matter if your street smart or not, basically you should watch your back while there and be more than aware while in them such as- New Orleans, Detroit, most of Chicago, Baltimore, Camden, and Gary among others.....

But honestly some of the roughest places I personally have been in were not big cities have been some of those small to mid sized cities like Macon Georgia, Birmingham Alabama, Riveria Beach, West Palm and Lake Worth Florida. I always thought Palm Beach County in Florida was the rich folks playground, while Im sure there are some really nice areas, the ones I went to were down right third world-ish and almost scary

*EDIT*

Oh yeah Baton Rouge, LA is pretty crazy too along with Port Arthur Texas

Old 10-01-2009, 06:02 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Are the top five highest murder rates for big cities: New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis and Newark?
Newark is a big city?
It has 280,000 people.........................

Either way, I bet NWK is not in the top 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.