U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:03 PM

499 posts, read 1,600,222 times

Advertisements

There is a big difference between Northern and Southern cities. You'd probably do fine in Southern cities such as Dallas, Houston, Little Rock, Knoxville, Louisville, etc.

But you'd probably be laughed out of Boston, Miami, San Francisco, Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis and Seattle.

NY is so busy, nobody would notice you until you opened your mouth -- then they'd just run from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 12:49 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,453,515 times
I just find it a little weird to be a country boy living in a city driving in rush hour traffic,having a skyline in your downtown and just living with hundreds and thousands of people. It just dont seem right.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:07 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,436,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
There is a big difference between Northern and Southern cities. You'd probably do fine in Southern cities such as Dallas, Houston, Little Rock, Knoxville, Louisville, etc.

But you'd probably be laughed out of Boston, Miami, San Francisco, Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis and Seattle.

NY is so busy, nobody would notice you until you opened your mouth -- then they'd just run from you.

I disagree with you. If a country person goes to NYC they would be laughed out as well, or be looked at weird just like in Boston, Miami, and San Franciso.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:12 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times
Quote:

Boston, Miami, San Francisco, Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Seattle, NYC, etc. all have plenty of country folk transplants...no one is laughing at anyone. Anyone who would say something so ridiculous doesn't have a clue about living in the big city. Big cities are open to everyone/every type/every nationality/every accent/every color/etc. No one is "laughed out" because that's what big cities are all about - diversity.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:05 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
My best friend lives in Manhattan and tells me she's a redneck at heart. She's been trying to find these rodeo bars where they play country music. She watches Nascar and even travels along the east coast to go see it. She told me she's trying to move to NC in a few years so she can feel like she's "home"

Old 06-21-2009, 06:06 PM

925 posts, read 2,290,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Boston, Miami, San Francisco, Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Seattle, NYC, etc. all have plenty of country folk transplants...no one is laughing at anyone. Anyone who would say something so ridiculous doesn't have a clue about living in the big city. Big cities are open to everyone/every type/every nationality/every accent/every color/etc. No one is "laughed out" because that's what big cities are all about - diversity.
Big cities are about "diversity". Is that in the official city charter?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:

To separate Miami and Atlanta (did you forget that these two are Southern cities as well) from Houston and Dallas tells me that you know very little about the Texas cities. Yes there are TONS of country people living in Miami and they are NEVER laughed at. There are tons of country people living in Chicago and DC as well and they are never laughed at. I have to agree with DeaconJ on this one.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:43 PM

98 posts, read 257,404 times
Crocadile Dundee baby!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
OP, do some research on a place called Norco, CA.

Imagine a real cow/horse town in the middle of suburban Southern California.

With Norco, there is no need to imagine. It has horse trails instead of sidewalks, real cowboys with silver spurred boots, and that ever-so-pleasant smell of horse crap and cows.

Unfortunately, the have recently allowed new development (they hadn't really before) which has brought in some regular old suburbanites, but the old charm still exists in the older parts of town.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:11 AM

499 posts, read 1,600,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To separate Miami and Atlanta (did you forget that these two are Southern cities as well) from Houston and Dallas tells me that you know very little about the Texas cities. Yes there are TONS of country people living in Miami and they are NEVER laughed at. There are tons of country people living in Chicago and DC as well and they are never laughed at. I have to agree with DeaconJ on this one.
I'm from Miami, so I don't even see how your opinion counts on this one! Trust me, there are not "tons" of country people there (they generally hate Miami anyway because they thinks its full of Mexicans who peeki panni) and are definately laughed at, especially if they wear a cowboy hat in any club or in public for that matter.

While Miami and Atlanta are geographically located in the "South," they are now considered cosmopolitain oasis and world class cities, that don't relate to the hillbilly or cowboy culture.

Besides, why would you want to move to a city where everyone hates country music and listens to dance, urban and latin music?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.