Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,973,334 times

Advertisements

Bostonian08-Deacon J-

Do you think if a tall white boy wearing wranglers,boots,a big belt buckle,button up shirt,and a cowboy hat with a twang pulled up in downtown Chicago or NYC in his Ford F-350 with dried mud all over the bottom of it smelling like hay and manure that people wouldnt trip out if they saw him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 01:58 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,719,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Bostonian08-Deacon J-

Do you think if a tall white boy wearing wranglers,boots,a big belt buckle,button up shirt,and a cowboy hat with a twang pulled up in downtown Chicago or NYC in his Ford F-350 with dried mud all over the bottom of it smelling like hay and manure that people wouldnt trip out if they saw him.

Yes...but as a hygiene and odor issue. Why is he so nasty? I'm thinking that most country people would shower and clean up before going out in the city just like anyone else.

I'm sorry but I really don't think that MOST big-city residents are that ignorant.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yes...but as a hygiene and odor issue. Why is he so nasty? I'm thinking that most country people would shower and clean up before going out in the city just like anyone else.

I'm sorry but I really don't think that MOST big-city residents are that ignorant.

I dont know Im just going off of what most of the cowboys looked like in my hometown, they cleaned up when they went out to eat but everything was the still the same, and you can smell the manure on the trucks.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:35 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,422,866 times
Quote:
Bostonian08-Deacon J-

I once saw a standing guy in Times square wearing a cowboy hat cowboy boots underwear and nothing else playing his guitar and singing loudly. I thought - wow, what a gay ranchero - but what do you expect? It's New York - just a different kinda of weirdness. I was just amused.

I've seen lots of very deep South looking people in NYC. My feeling is all are equally welcome and unwelcome. Amidst gypsies, burkas, mextico indians in full dress, afrikaneers, cossacks, gangstas, goths, crossdressers, men with boobs, Hassidics, monks, hippies, beatniks, klansman, nazis, homeless, zombies, mafiosos, the nation of islam and spiderman - what's so shocking about a hillbilly?

(taken last week in nyc.)

I don't think anyone in the USA knows how badly humans can stink until you go to Europe.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:47 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,719,630 times
I was thinking about the cowboy hat thing...there are country and western clubs/bars in NYC and pretty much in every large U.S. city, and from my experience people often wear cowboy hats and boots in those establishments...and you can even spot some on the big-city streets...

Cowboy hats in Chicago

cowboy on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (cowboy | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - broken link) men's white fleece lined denim jacket on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (men's white fleece lined denim jacket | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - broken link)

Cowboy hat on the streets of Philadelphia

headscarves and hats on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (headscarves and hats | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - broken link)

Cowboy - National Mall

One Lonely Cowboy on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (One Lonely Cowboy | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - broken link)

Moderator cut: image removed

Professional Bull Riding at Madison Square Garden

Urban Cowgirls on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (Urban Cowgirls | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - broken link)

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 03:51 AM..

Old 06-30-2009, 07:16 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,995,087 times
[quote=Bostonian08;9532750]I once saw a standing guy in Times square wearing a cowboy hat cowboy boots underwear and nothing else playing his guitar and singing loudly. I thought - wow, what a gay ranchero - but what do you expect? It's New York - just a different kinda of weirdness. I was just amused.QUOTE]

That was probably the Naked cowboy who is from Ohio.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:49 PM

Yeah, see - look at Deacons pix and you can see you can literally stand nearly buck naked in Times Sq and no one's gonna freak out. Rural Americans visit NY everyday just like people from every corner of the world do. It is so diverse in NYC, everybody feels comfortable because the only thing everyone really has in common in NYC is that they are all different. And that's great.

Missy, thanks you're right.

Yahoo! Image Search Results for naked cowboy nyc

Old 06-30-2009, 09:03 PM

6,749 posts, read 21,995,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Missy, thanks you're right.
You're welcome

Old 07-01-2009, 01:43 AM

those pics arnt really cowboys, those hats are worn like a novelty item.

Im talking about more like this

Old 07-01-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
those pics arnt really cowboys, those hats are worn like a novelty item.

Im talking about more like this
Dude, it seems like you're trying very hard to get us to bash by constricting your definitions. I have no doubt that if you ask the people wearing those cowboy hats if they are real they would assure you they are. If you like, I guess it could be said that if you drove all the way from NM to NYC without washing your car or clothes, someone might wonder why you didn't, but I doubt anyone would run across Broadway to challenge you.

I met a cash poor family from TN last week on their once in a lifetime visit to NYC and I thought that was just too sweet how mom and dad saved up all their money to show the kids the big city. I have more respect for these type of people than over-privileged royal jet setters any day, but I have good manners for the king as well. Big cities like NY and CHI were founded on the labor of the huddled masses - our grandparents and great-grandparents. We have a saying - "where six can eat, seven can eat." There's room at the table for everybody and although if you look quite unusual someone without tact might get ill-mannered, but generally most people anywhere - big city or small - respect other people regardless of their background.

I'm sure Farmer Jones works hard for his money and I respect him for that. If I meet him in Times Sq, I'll wish him a wonderful stay and point him to my favorite deli where he can eat like a king for five bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.