U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:20 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,973,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I met a cash poor family from TN last week on their once in a lifetime visit to NYC and I thought that was just too sweet how mom and dad saved up all their money to show the kids the big city. I have more respect for these type of people than over-privileged royal jet setters any day, but I have good manners for the king as well. Big cities like NY and CHI were founded on the labor of the huddled masses - our grandparents and great-grandparents. We have a saying - "where six can eat, seven can eat." There's room at the table for everybody and although if you look quite unusual someone without tact might get ill-mannered, but generally most people anywhere - big city or small - respect other people regardless of their background.

I'm sure Farmer Jones works hard for his money and I respect him for that. If I meet him in Times Sq, I'll wish him a wonderful stay and point him to my favorite deli where he can eat like a king for five bucks.
wonderful post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 08:03 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,296,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
those pics arnt really cowboys, those hats are worn like a novelty item.

Im talking about more like this

So you can tell from those photos I posted that those people aren't "country"? I think not...you seem very hung up on stereotyping people, but anyone is allowed to be and welcome to be anywhere - no matter what their upbringing or what their accent or where they are from. Real people - adults - are not going to "laugh them out" of the city. Period. That's absurd...this isn't 3rd Grade.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:35 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,473,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
So you can tell from those photos I posted that those people aren't "country"? I think not...you seem very hung up on stereotyping people, but anyone is allowed to be and welcome to be anywhere - no matter what their upbringing or what their accent or where they are from. Real people - adults - are not going to "laugh them out" of the city. Period. That's absurd...this isn't 3rd Grade.

Im not saying people are going to laugh them out of the city or run em out, Im just saying Im sure there would be some people who would trip out seeing a cowboy pulling up in NYC in a muddy farm truck. Im sure not EVERYONE is so accepting and use to unusual stuff.

any anyways I grew up in a farm town right next to West Texas so I've been around cowboys my whole life.Those people in the pics looks like they are wearing them as novelty items. Its like when I go to a country concert here and the girls are wearing straw cowboy hats dressing the part even though they live in the suburbs and dont dress like that everyday.

the rodeo pic looks realistic though and the pic of the lone cowboy, Im not trying to ruffle any feathers here its just that some people disagree with others so we shouldnt take it to heart, thats just life

Old 12-21-2015, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When we go to church in Charlotte we pass by a beautiful garden. I imagine the person who tends the garden has a red neck. That is where the term comes from. I doubt most red necks have ever had a beer. I know the area I was raised in had lots of red necked people, but most were church goers and would never think of drinking beer. That red neck term has lost its true meaning. Red necks are hardworking people and should be respected. We call those beer guzzling loafers "good for nothings" or "ne'er do well."
There's a lot of deviations of where the word came from and yes yours is one of them. The one I'm most familiar with is the West Virginia miners strikes of the 1920s. Facing a mercenary militia hired by millionaire coal barons, the miners took pains to become organized, adopting a uniform that featured a red bandanna worn around the neck. The miners nicknamed themselves “rednecks” as a point of solidarity.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 523 times
I believe you can. But it also depends on your background and your families background. I grew up out in the country here in Kentucky, but I've also lived a lot of my life in the city limits of Georgetown, ky. Not a very big town but growing rapidly everyday. It use to be a small country town and you can tell by the charm of down town. But we also have the Toyota plant here and it has boosted our economy over the past 30 years. More restaurants and fancy stuff coming in everyday. But my family is all country type people. Not necessarily farmers or nothing like that but just down home folks. So in short it's all in your up bringing.. Being country ain't just clothes and music.. Its the lifestyle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.