Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:27 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,888,818 times

Advertisements

I think the Pacific Northwest + the sunbelt states that are still relatively undeveloped (Alabama, Mississippi, northern Louisiana, etc.).

I don't really see the midwest or northeast booming. They're just not the most business-friendly areas, and a city needs jobs (or at least a favorable climate) to be able to boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 11:38 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I think the Pacific Northwest + the sunbelt states that are still relatively undeveloped (Alabama, Mississippi, northern Louisiana, etc.).

The rural southeast will never boom as long as educational attainment levels of the population remain abysmally low. Do you really think new employers or companies are going to be rushing into these rural areas?

Also, much of the manufacturing and mill jobs in the rural southeast have really started to disappear over the last few decades. I would say globalization and cheap overseas labor is the reason why.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:26 AM

37,737 posts, read 40,783,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The South's water issues were due to an excessive and unusual drought. It's over now, and reservoir levels as well as rainfall are back to normal. The South is not located in the middle of a desert...
It rains a lot where I live in Tennessee. For example, the average annual rainfall in Seattle, WA is 35.9 inches and in my Tennessee town it's 55 inches. Seattle does have more precipitation days, though, 155 vs 128.

Florida would have more water if everyone drained their pools or you know, jumped into them with a bar of soap.

I'm surprised we, as a country, haven't come up with better ways of water capture.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:07 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,888,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The rural southeast will never boom as long as educational attainment levels of the population remain abysmally low. Do you really think new employers or companies are going to be rushing into these rural areas?
I know that it's already happening in parts of Alabama....companies are liking the cheap property and low taxes, so they relocate down there and bring a bunch of their own people.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:27 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,452,459 times
Quote:

Also, much of the manufacturing and mill jobs in the rural southeast have really started to disappear over the last few decades. I would say globalization and cheap overseas labor is the reason why.
This is a pretty good point, but there are non-US companies that locate in the US.

From the standard of a manufacturer from France or Germany or even Japan a worker in Louisiana or Arkansas might be quite productive with comparatively little demands. I think the infrastructure is also generally going to be better even in those two states than in places with "cheaper labor" like Venezuela or the Philippines.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:02 AM

8,521 posts, read 10,036,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The South's water issues were due to an excessive and unusual drought. It's over now, and reservoir levels as well as rainfall are back to normal. The South is not located in the middle of a desert...
Yes, perhaps...but what's your point about the desert?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:05 AM

8,521 posts, read 10,036,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Upper Midwest won't - but the Eastern Rust Belt will see itself reinvented and prosper for the first time in decades. Buffalo and Pittsburgh are in for better times. As for Cleveland and everything to the west, definitely not.

Also:

VT, NH and ME - high quality of life, natural beauty, availability of resources.

The Pacific Northwest will resume booming as it did before the recession.

The Sunbelt will be the new Rustbelt, and I'll include Southern California in this as well as NV and AZ. NM's remained more rural despite some development and relatively low unemployment thanks to Gov. Richardson so it'll be spared the worst of the worst.
Based on your reputation, I'll hold my breath...thx. BTW, now is a GREAT time to buy in AZ and NV, don't you know??

Old 06-21-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I know that it's already happening in parts of Alabama....companies are liking the cheap property and low taxes, so they relocate down there and bring a bunch of their own people.
Well, how long will those jobs last? We have seen cycles where businesses decide to invest in these rural areas, but get shipped elsewhere when they can find lower labor costs. Take a look at the state of Alabama for example. Most rural counties have seen a decrease in non-farm employment since 2000. The state has also had less non-farm job growth compared to the national average. The same goes for Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Lousiana, etc.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This is a pretty good point, but there are non-US companies that locate in the US.

From the standard of a manufacturer from France or Germany or even Japan a worker in Louisiana or Arkansas might be quite productive with comparatively little demands. I think the infrastructure is also generally going to be better even in those two states than in places with "cheaper labor" like Venezuela or the Philippines.
Non-unionized jobs at foreign brand auto plants have been a bigger player in portions of the southeast. However, we have seen how bad the auto industry in general has been hurt in this recession. The point being, these rural areas are more vulnerable to economic meltdowns because they tend to be less economically diverse without including agricultural staples.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:12 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,433,859 times
Quote:

Places like Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, and Texas were just as rural at one point and that didn't stop companies from moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.