U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 7,873,797 times

Advertisements

I presently live in what has been the hot "go to" state for several years now, in what has been the fastest growing region in the U.S., the South East.

In your opinion, what state, or region of the United States, is presently underrated right now, but may be the next one to "boom", and why?

I have several predictions about this, and want to see if my way of thinking lines up with any else's. Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find a post or thread like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 02:27 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,404,059 times
Hmmmm, Interesting thread. I love Western NC btw. I just wrote something in their forum.

Anyways I live in the upper Midwest and I think if the SW keeps seeing water shortages the Midwest may be a new haven. That or the Northwest US.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:28 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,118,248 times
Other than the Las Vegas area, the Southwest is fine with water. Just because the Southwest is dry does not mean that there are water shortages.

Last time I checked, it was areas of the South with the biggest water issues.

With that said, I don't think there will be any other of the country to be the next spot to "boom." There are only so many areas in the United States. Americans have proven that they prefer warm areas of the Sunbelt. Those will be the areas that resume growing once this recession ends.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:37 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,460,910 times
Quote:
Originally posted by miamiman
With that said, I don't think there will be any other of the country to be the next spot to "boom." There are only so many areas in the United States. Americans have proven that they prefer warm areas of the Sunbelt. Those will be the areas that resume growing once this recession ends.
I agree. Personally I Love the Upper Midwest, but I'd be REALLY surprised if we saw an uptick in growth. But then 50 years ago, who would've thought people would want to move to the South?

Old 06-20-2009, 05:08 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,927,262 times
Few people realize this, but South Dakota is booming right now. It will continue to grow faster than average in the longer term. Sioux Falls has a very low unemployment and a diversifying economy. Rapid City is also seeing a lot of growth along with the towns in the Black Hills. South Dakota is now the fastest growing state in the entire Midwest and Plains region. The state is growing faster percentage wise than OH, MI, ND, and IA combined.
Lincoln County, SD has seen the fastest overall percentage growth since 2000 of any urban county in the Midwest besides Kendall County, IL (Chicago).

Old 06-20-2009, 05:11 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Other than the Las Vegas area, the Southwest is fine with water. Just because the Southwest is dry does not mean that there are water shortages.

Last time I checked, it was areas of the South with the biggest water issues.

The South's water issues were due to an excessive and unusual drought. It's over now, and reservoir levels as well as rainfall are back to normal. The South is not located in the middle of a desert...

Old 06-20-2009, 06:15 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
For whatever reason Americans still seem to like warm climates. So I think Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas actually still have some potential. Their unemployment rates are still closer to their historical low than they are to their historical high. Louisiana might have some potential construction possibilities left and Texas is big. Much of Texas could be totally in the toilet, but still have places ripe for growth.

Of cooler places Iowa, Nebraska, and Utah may have possibilities. It seems like Nebraska's fairly well-governed, granted I've heard complaints, and they have low unemployment. Also I've heard of city families, in newsmagazines, considering Nebraska as an intentionally duller place with good jobs. Iowa has relatively low unemployment and is the only state in its region to have same-sex marriage. Regardless of how I may feel on that issue SSM might be a draw for Midwestern gays with enough money to relocate. Utah's unemployment rate isn't too bad, it's seen as healthy, former governor Huntsman was well-respected, and conservatives might find its reputation attractive. Wyoming might also be a possibility, but I have less to say there.

This is just blue-skying, I'm not sure you can really predict these things.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 06-20-2009 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: forgot something.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:35 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,941,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I agree. Personally I Love the Upper Midwest, but I'd be REALLY surprised if we saw an uptick in growth. But then 50 years ago, who would've thought people would want to move to the South?
The Upper Midwest won't - but the Eastern Rust Belt will see itself reinvented and prosper for the first time in decades. Buffalo and Pittsburgh are in for better times. As for Cleveland and everything to the west, definitely not.

Also:

VT, NH and ME - high quality of life, natural beauty, availability of resources.

The Pacific Northwest will resume booming as it did before the recession.

The Sunbelt will be the new Rustbelt, and I'll include Southern California in this as well as NV and AZ. NM's remained more rural despite some development and relatively low unemployment thanks to Gov. Richardson so it'll be spared the worst of the worst.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:25 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,612,666 times
The Northwest and some of the Rocky Mountain States.
Idaho and Colorado and Oregon have been mentioned to be among the top 5 states to come out the recession first according to Moody's Economy.com.

From the website:

By Kellyn Brown , 06-08-09
Moody’s Economy.com is predicting which states will emerge from the recession first. It’s forecasting that five states will begin adding jobs in the last quarter of this year. They are:

If you want to be in the right place when the recovery starts, that place may be in Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Texas or Washington.

The recession didn't start at the same time in every state, and it won't end at the same time either. A new forecast from Moody's Economy.com predicts that jobs growth will return first in those five states, starting in the last quarter of this year. Four of those states benefit from strong high-tech industries, and the fifth, Texas, has a strong base of energy industries.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:31 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,460,910 times
what do you guys think about North Carolina? Do you think they'll recover okay from the recession?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or