U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM

2,550 posts, read 3,971,072 times

Advertisements

I'm Italian, Irish, and Cherokee Indian.

When I was in the Army I just put down Caucasian (because I look more white than Native; my natural haircolor is medium brown, I have olive skin tone that tans easily, and brown eyes).

But these days (since learning more about my grandmother, who was 100% Cherokee and my father was 50% Cherokee and the other half Irish), I have put down Mixed Race (when Mixed Race is on the application, that's the one I check). I have learned recently that there is some Nez Perce in the family also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 01:19 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,442,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
I'm Italian, Irish, and Cherokee Indian.

When I was in the Army I just put down Caucasian (because I look more white than Native; my natural haircolor is medium brown, I have olive skin tone that tans easily, and brown eyes).

But these days (since learning more about my grandmother, who was 100% Cherokee and my father was 50% Cherokee and the other half Irish), I have put down Mixed Race (when Mixed Race is on the application, that's the one I check). I have learned recently that there is some Nez Perce in the family also.
You know that it is illegal when applying for a job for people to ask about your race? This only excludes the government jobs if I am not mistaking.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:04 AM

2,550 posts, read 3,971,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
You know that it is illegal when applying for a job for people to ask about your race? This only excludes the government jobs if I am not mistaking.

Yeah, I know, but they do it anyway. Especially here in Arizona, it's in all the job applications in this state. They just want to know so they don't have an illegal alien working for them, I guess.

One time I was on a greyhound bus going to spend 2 weeks with a friend of mine in North Carolina and we went through a part of Georgia.

Well, we stopped near a military post and they came in to check peoples I.D. cards. Well, this one big MP came up to me and looked really hard at mine (I had dark hair at the time) and the MP asked me, "Are you American?" I said, "Yes, sargeant of course. I had served 6 years in the U.S. Army". And I then showed him my old military I.D. card that I still had. And he was like, "Okay, just checking, because you have really dark hair and dark eyes". I told him that I was half Native American and we both giggled about it.

Man! that kind of scared me there for a minute. They were checking to make sure their wasn't any terrorists or illegal aliens on the bus.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:57 PM

257 posts, read 318,845 times
You can claim anything you want and put it down, but honestly people are going to consider you what you look like.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:57 AM

4,467 posts, read 8,442,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Yeah, I know, but they do it anyway. Especially here in Arizona, it's in all the job applications in this state. They just want to know so they don't have an illegal alien working for them, I guess.

One time I was on a greyhound bus going to spend 2 weeks with a friend of mine in North Carolina and we went through a part of Georgia.

Well, we stopped near a military post and they came in to check peoples I.D. cards. Well, this one big MP came up to me and looked really hard at mine (I had dark hair at the time) and the MP asked me, "Are you American?" I said, "Yes, sargeant of course. I had served 6 years in the U.S. Army". And I then showed him my old military I.D. card that I still had. And he was like, "Okay, just checking, because you have really dark hair and dark eyes". I told him that I was half Native American and we both giggled about it.

Man! that kind of scared me there for a minute. They were checking to make sure their wasn't any terrorists or illegal aliens on the bus.
Well you can sue them

Old 09-24-2009, 08:13 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
I just hope this CONTINUES - i.e. non-white people get free education. I'm white and have been paying college loans for nearly two decades. My wife is NOT white, and our son is half-white...and I am REALLY hoping he doesn't have to deal with that.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:42 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,783,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Technically you would fit in the mixed race category because you are part white part native american.
Technically, most ALL of us would fit in the mixed race category...if we only knew.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 PM

668 posts, read 2,086,506 times
I have a white friend who looks kind of hispanic and fills out he is hispanic/mixed race/ or even "other" on all his applications to possibly receive any benefits that may come with that. That can't prove you aren't. Hispanic ancestry comes in all various types of races. Just cause you don't look mestizo doesn't mean you aren't hispanic. If people asks, he claims he is part white puerto rican. It seems to work.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:39 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,977,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
hmmmmm, wouldnt a DNA test take care of that? I know African-Americans have testing available to tell them what parts of Africa their ancestors came from......
No such thing as Hispanic DNA............

Old 09-25-2009, 03:45 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,977,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Well, my question is if Taino Indians are considered Native Americans. America includes North, Central, and South America so it would include Puerto Rico. Unless they are just specifically talking about the land the current US covers as "America". Or more specifically the continental US.

Does Puerto Rico recognize distinctive Taino cultural regions, as in reservations, or does it recognize any of its residents as Tainos? Does the Federal Government?

There's your answer.......

I know there are some Puerto Ricans and Cubans who do see themselves as Taino and are trying to revive whatever aspects of the culture they can, but there is no official recognition......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or