Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 12:50 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Quote:
The term Indian is commonly thought to have begun with the misconception by Christopher Columbus that the Caribbean islands were the islands of the Indian Ocean, known to Europeans as the Indies, which he had hoped to reach by sailing west across the Atlantic. Even though Columbus' mistake was soon recognized, the name stuck, and for centuries the native people of the Americas were collectively called Indians. However, this is disputed by Indian activist Russell Means, who believes the word Indian derives not from a confusion with India but from a Spanish expression En Dio, meaning "in God".
What a clown...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 06:37 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
My situation is somewhat similar.

I'm half Puerto Rican and half white. I know being Puerto Rican you're already mixed with the Indians that were originally there and possibly Europeans, Africans, or both. Being that Puerto Rico is considered part of the US now (and already part of America) does that mean I'm part Native American?

I have black hair, dark brown eyes, and olive/tan skin though so it's not as hard for people to see me as Hispanic as it is for you. I was raised in a house with mostly the white side of my family though but my neighborhood had a lot of Hispanics and I know some Spanish.

I'm around the same age as you (late 20s) and I still haven't figured all this out. I guess technically I'm a mixed race (with native American) Hispanic. It's always confusing filling out forms.
First of all, Hispanic is not a race; so I would assume if you have any kind of Latin American ancestry, you can mark yourself as Hispanic. You can also then mark yourself as Native American if you have ancestors native to this land. In the case of people from Latin America though (most of which have ancestry from the indigenous tribes of North and South America), I don't think you can mark Native American, as I think that designation under the U.S. definition is restricted to the tribes within the United States. This would make sense considering that the U.S. doesn't constitute the lands of Bolivia, Guatemala, Peru, etc.

So, in your case, you can undoubtedly mark down Hispanic (which is of any race), then whatever race you consider yourself (e.g. White, Mixed, Black). You must have a confirmed 1/8 or more Native American ancestry to be considered Native American.

Where you were raised or the color of your skin is utterly irrelevant.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
First of all, Hispanic is not a race; so I would assume if you have any kind of Latin American ancestry, you can mark yourself as Hispanic. You can also then mark yourself as Native American if you have ancestors native to this land. In the case of people from Latin America though (most of which have ancestry from the indigenous tribes of North and South America), I don't think you can mark Native American, as I think that designation under the U.S. definition is restricted to the tribes within the United States. This would make sense considering that the U.S. doesn't constitute the lands of Bolivia, Guatemala, Peru, etc.

So, in your case, you can undoubtedly mark down Hispanic (which is of any race), then whatever race you consider yourself (e.g. White, Mixed, Black). You must have a confirmed 1/8 or more Native American ancestry to be considered Native American.

Where you were raised or the color of your skin is utterly irrelevant.
The Census Bureau reported an increase in the Native American population; upon analysis, they discovered that the overwhelming number of respondents who represented the increase considered themselves Hispanic/Latino by ethnicity, and Native/Indian by race. Most were born in Central America or Mexico.

Also, when I lived in Hawaii, I noticed that about 14% of the population considered itself Hispanic/Latino. Upon further analysis, turned out that the vast majority of these respondents also considered themselves Asian or Pacific Islander.

In Hawaii, Asian/Pacific Islander + Latino/Hispanic = Filipino.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:51 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
You are ethnically Mexican if you really claim to be exposed to such amount of Mexican culture.
I would also like to point out that Ethnic background is really the setting your grew up not the origin of "your people".
But everyone uses it in this context (even I do, to communicate myself with other more efficiently).

ANYWAYS, you have every right to check of the Mexican box.
What makes you not Mexican?
the face that your "ancestors" were from Germany?
But theoretically; to what extent were they from Germany? I mean are you sure someone from France did come prancing over the Germany and have a kid? or maybe even someone from Spain, or from Spain via France.
What makes Mexicans mexican?
I mean if some people from China goes to Mexico, have a kid. who grows up in Mexico eating Mexican food, with mexican friends, dancing to mexican music, speaking the language of Mexico, in Mexico.
He is more Mexican than chinese.
If he were to come to the US, he would be obliged to check off the "hispanic" box.
The USCB recognize this, which is sort of why they don't make "hispanic" a race (although I think they should).
I am born in Dallas, half Mexican and half Chinese.
When these questions involving money come up, I always check off the Hispanic box.
Who is to say I am not Mexican?
I always do check off Asian too though. so Hispanic Asian.

It's really not fair, how they give minorities an edge in education.
but there rules I play by, and if i have an edge then I'm going to use it.

However I do find it contradicting how they don't push for more asians, hispanics, and whites in the NBA, where they are severely misrepresented; but feel obliged to enforce schools to take minorities because their enrollment of 'x' race is not large enough even if they aren't as qualified.

They're practically the same thing, all it really is is Athletic Talent vs Intellectual Talent

Old 09-27-2009, 11:27 AM

75 posts, read 188,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysta199 View Post
Ok, so as a new student entering college a few years back (ok more than a few years) my mom was talking with the financial aid office personnel and was asked "Is your daughter hispanic?" Clearly, my German ancestry has come through with my blonde hair, blue eyes, and very fair skin. My mom's last name is from my stepfather, Gonzalez, who has raised me since before I can even remember. My mother replies, "Oh no Gonzalez is her stepfather's last name. Why?" The sweet lady in the financial aid office proceeded to explain to my mother that if I had been Mexican that I could get free money for school. Not only did that **** my mother off but myself as well. So, fast forwarding 10 years and I am wondering "Why shouldn't I be able to claim that I am Mexican?" I have been raised in all of the tradition, food, and culture of Mexico by my father. Yes, I call him my Dad not stepfather because that's what he is...my Dad. As I am filling out job applications and other financial aid applications for college I am wondering the simple question of "Can I be considered Mexican?" OR "Can I be considered on an application as American Indian?" My mom's grandmother (my great-grandmother) was 100% Blackfoot Indian. I am very lost in what do I consider myself on all of these forms? Better yet, how can I greatly benefit but at the same time not lying? Any ideas or answers?

Claim why not how they going to prove you're not hispanic not like you have to be registered anywhere. They don't want to keep tabs on that race like they do Indians. Hell they let illegal hispanic dip into our federal programs for the low income already taking away from US people. If they aren't going to attend college and exhaust those resources why not you.
They put the special programs out there for the under priviledged yet most don't even give college a second thought. They many times prefer to stay in the same environment they hate so much.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I just hope this CONTINUES - i.e. non-white people get free education. I'm white and have been paying college loans for nearly two decades. My wife is NOT white, and our son is half-white...and I am REALLY hoping he doesn't have to deal with that.
Well, I'm non-white and pay college loans as well so race doesn't mean a free ride just a little help but not enough to make a huge difference may be cover you books which is nice. free rides come from good grade in high school with full scholarships.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:34 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Being from Mexico.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Being from Mexico.
says who? Hispanic is not mexican?

Old 09-27-2009, 11:45 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post

ANYWAYS, you have every right to check of the Mexican box.
What makes you not Mexican?

I mean if some people from China goes to Mexico, have a kid. who grows up in Mexico eating Mexican food, with mexican friends, dancing to mexican music, speaking the language of Mexico, in Mexico.
He is more Mexican than chinese.
If he were to come to the US, he would be obliged to check off the "hispanic" box.
One of my favorite Mexican restaurants in Philadelphia is run by a Mexican-Chinese family. Then of course there are a lot of Chinese people in Colombia and Cuba and Peru (and Japanese in Peru too).

Quote:
The USCB recognize this, which is sort of why they don't make "hispanic" a race (although I think they should).
How would that work? People from Latin America - "Hispanic/Latino" people, come from literally every race on Earth. How can you have a "race" that comes from every race?

Quote:
I am born in Dallas, half Mexican and half Chinese.
When these questions involving money come up, I always check off the Hispanic box.
Who is to say I am not Mexican?
I always do check off Asian too though. so Hispanic Asian.

It's really not fair, how they give minorities an edge in education.
but there rules I play by, and if i have an edge then I'm going to use it.
Please tell me. What edge do you get?

Quote:
However I do find it contradicting how they don't push for more asians, hispanics, and whites in the NBA, where they are severely misrepresented;
No misrepresentation - the owners are all white. The players who make them the most money are the ones who play. If any owner thought they needed to get more players from Asia (such as Yao Ming) or anywhere else, they would go out and get 'em. The best players are the ones who are playing. Sports is our society's only meritocracy, at least in terms of race.

Quote:

but feel obliged to enforce schools to take minorities because their enrollment of 'x' race is not large enough even if they aren't as qualified.
How do you determine who is qualified and who is not?

Quote:

They're practically the same thing, all it really is is Athletic Talent vs Intellectual Talent
What basis do you have for making this statement?

Old 09-27-2009, 11:50 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlaz View Post
says who? Hispanic is not mexican?
Common sense says.

Hispanic MIGHT be Mexican, but it might be something else..Guatemalan, Venzuelan, or (gasp!) American (as in U.S.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.