Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:37 PM

116 posts, read 157,573 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I recently went to Orlando on holiday, and I thought I'd share my thoughts on the whole experience. Me being from a small town in Ireland, the surroundings were very different

Firstly I have to say, it was the cleanest place/city I have ever been to, not once did I see litter, and I'm pretty sure I ventured into a dodgy suburb by mistake, and it too was spotless.

The people, they were the NICEST people I have ever met, I was supprised by this, I didn't expect Americans to be nice (due to all the crime reported in the media). But EVERYONE was so pleasent, from the waitress at Denny's to the random local walking down the street, everyone was so nice. Back home if you were walking down the street and saw someone, you would ignore them at all costs, so it was a very new and somewhat intimidating experience for me, when everyone was saying hello and had a smile on their face. Americans are the nicest people I have ever met. And it wasn't only Orlando/touristy areas we were at, we ventured to St. Petersburg and other small and surrouding areas.

The weather, was glourious, very hot, my Irish skin burned like mad

The sense of community was amazing, maybe it was because Orlando got into the NBA finals, but everyone seemed to be so pround of their city, and there were "lets go magic" signs everywhere.

I have never been anywhere so friendly, I didn't want to go back, I was almost thinking of staying illegally, but I didn't don't worry

After my holiday there, I totally re-assesed my image of the average american. I was honoured to spend time in your country, and want to thank you for your hospitality

P.S - you are all so good looking, it makes us Europeans look so ugly in comparrison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 04:03 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
You went to Orlando. There's like, beaches, surfer dudes, Disney, military guys, and a bunch of other tourists.

I like it too for getting away, but LOL, that isn't America. There are dirty places, etc. Go to NYC and you'll see what I mean.

But hey don't let me rain on your parade. I'm glad you enjoyed it here Come on back soon now, y'hear?

Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
You went to Orlando. There's like, beaches, surfer dudes, Disney, military guys, and a bunch of other tourists.

I like it too for getting away, but LOL, that isn't America. There are dirty places, etc. Go to NYC and you'll see what I mean.

But hey don't let me rain on your parade. I'm glad you enjoyed it here Come on back soon now, y'hear?
And a real Downtown with real shops, bars, restaurants, etc. Not to mention over 2 million permanent residents. No military anymore, the Navy left over a decade ago. Beaches - no, that's about an hour away. Oh, and some of the most beautiful neighborhoods you could ever wish to see, some of them adjacent to Downtown. Add in about 500 lakes, and then you have a small sample of non-touristy Orlando.

Don't believe all the garbage you see on this forum when it comes to Orlando.

You should check the place out sometime.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:12 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim131 View Post
Hi all,

I recently went to Orlando on holiday, and I thought I'd share my thoughts on the whole experience. Me being from a small town in Ireland, the surroundings were very different

Firstly I have to say, it was the cleanest place/city I have ever been to, not once did I see litter, and I'm pretty sure I ventured into a dodgy suburb by mistake, and it too was spotless.

The people, they were the NICEST people I have ever met, I was supprised by this, I didn't expect Americans to be nice (due to all the crime reported in the media). But EVERYONE was so pleasent, from the waitress at Denny's to the random local walking down the street, everyone was so nice. Back home if you were walking down the street and saw someone, you would ignore them at all costs, so it was a very new and somewhat intimidating experience for me, when everyone was saying hello and had a smile on their face. Americans are the nicest people I have ever met. And it wasn't only Orlando/touristy areas we were at, we ventured to St. Petersburg and other small and surrouding areas.

The sense of community was amazing, maybe it was because Orlando got into the NBA finals, but everyone seemed to be so pround of their city, and there were "lets go magic" signs everywhere.

I have never been anywhere so friendly, I didn't want to go back, I was almost thinking of staying illegally, but I didn't don't worry

After my holiday there, I totally re-assesed my image of the average american. I was honoured to spend time in your country, and want to thank you for your hospitality

P.S - you are all so good looking, it makes us Europeans look so ugly in comparrison
Tim, so glad you had such a great holiday. We are pretty friendly, overall. And most of us are just crazy about you folks, myself included.

Hope you got to see Downtown. I think it's lovely.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:34 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Hi all,

We ARE good looking aren't we? Most of us look like we rich and famous...

It's nice to read a positive assessment of anything American once in a while. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:29 PM

116 posts, read 157,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Tim, so glad you had such a great holiday. We are pretty friendly, overall. And most of us are just crazy about you folks, myself included.

Hope you got to see Downtown. I think it's lovely.
Yeah I got to see it, it was lovely, I was at the amway arena, watching the Magic beat the Cavs, so I walked around for like an hour trying to find a cab lol. Beautiful city, and Orlando is so much more than a tourist destniation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
We ARE good looking aren't we? Most of us look like we rich and famous...

It's nice to read a positive assessment of anything American once in a while. Thanks.

Yeah I figured everyone puts such a downer on America and Americans it would be a nice thing to post something positive, I really had the time of my life, and intend going back when I'm 21, it was a pain in the arse I couldn't have a pint or play a bit of poker, but I had great fun none the less

Old 06-16-2009, 08:05 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Go to Orange Blossom Trail and Pine Hills in Orlando and see if you still feel the same way,lol. But glad you had a good Holiday. In Orlando as long as you stay in the tourist areas you are usually fine.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:47 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
You go on "holiday"?

You can take a trip on a holiday (holy day).

You don't go on a holiday. (A holiday is not a vacation, nor is it some type of motorized craft.
I take it the Op must not have met many people like this, else he wouldn't have been so impressed...

Old 06-17-2009, 06:18 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay in Orlando. It's nice to hear that we Americans aren't as bad as others like to portray.

I hope to get to your beautiful country one day.

Come back soon!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 AM

256 posts, read 479,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

WTF is your problem with always trying to undermine America? Orlando is a major U.S city FYI pal. And I'm sure NYC is clean for a city its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.