Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I am Christian, so an area where my beliefs are very similar to others is important.
Why is it important? Would being around non-Christians jeopardize your beliefs?

Quote:
I want to live in a majority White area, just a personal preference, some don't care, I do...
Why do you care? Would living in a majority white area make your life better? Better yet, what is the reason you don't want to live around non-whites?

Quote:
Finally, I tend to volunteer for political campaigns alot, but being in a very Liberal area, volunteering for Conservatives tends to be somewhat unproductive. Plus I like Conservative policies in general, why not live in an area with low taxes, no gay marriage, etc? (If you are Liberal you probably prefer paying higher taxes, abortion on demand... To each their own, I don't judge people based on their political party)
Low taxes, great. No gay marriage.....how does two people being married directly affect you? You don't know me. You don't know whether I'm married or not, and if I am married, you don't know whether I'm married to a man or a woman (I am a man). Does my marriage (or lack thereof) affect you in any way? If I lived a mile (or less) from you, would my (or anybody's) religion, race/ethnicity, political leanings, or marital status affect you? If so, how exactly? Please enlighten me.

Re: the bold comment, you say you don't judge based on political party, but for some reason it's okay to judge based on religion, race/ethnicity and marital status?

However, I've got an idea for you, Okaloosa County, FL (Fort Walton Beach, Destin, Crestview)

Politically conservative: 72% went for McCain.
The county as a whole is 81% white.
Median listing price is $240,900.
East of Lake Michigan, south of the Ohio River.
County population is 182,172.
Average high in January is 61F.
Unemployment rate is 6.5%

Here's another one, Bay County, FL (Panama City)
69.9% for McCain
82.8% White
Median listing price: $228,900
E of Lake Michigan, south of the Ohio River
County population: 163,984
January high: 62F
Unemployment rate is 8.5%

I think I got pretty close to your requirements, if nothing else, they are a start.

Last edited by Count David; 06-24-2009 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,257 times
Thanks for those two counties. They were two that I have never considered, even looked at. Okaloosa looks especially good. I am in Supply Chain and Operations management, and given the nature of industry that a quick Google search gave me, Okaloosa might just be the place for me.

I don't really want to debate my political views right here, but I appreciate the ideas.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Quote:
Isn't Charlotte fairly Liberal? Is it very built up in the communities around? If I were to live 20 miles away, could I get an acre of land for under $60,000?
Charlotte proper, especially central Charlotte, as with most other cities in NC, is more liberal than the surrounding suburbs and small towns. I believe you may still find an acre for under $60k within 20 miles of Charlotte, especially to the east and west of town. That will put you in closer proximity to some of the smaller and far more conservative towns that will feel more like the "Bible belt" towns of the old South which it sounds like you're looking for.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:36 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Not to mention that people from New Jersey are generally rude and unhelpful to total strangers. I always hold the door open for a lady, give my seat on the subway up to an elderly to pregnant woman, those concepts seemed totally foreign in New Jersey.
What subway? You're saying people in NJ never give up their seats on the subway - the subway that doesn't exist in NJ??? Anyway, I've seen people on NJ buses and the PATH and commuter and light rails always giving up their seats for the elderly and others who need it. And people here DO hold the door for others, unless they're new to the area and have no manners.

You're flat out lying about New Jersey because you couldn't hack it here. You lived in a slum and visited one other town, Hoboken, and that's your image of NJ, and you go on to lie about NJ.

Lying is not a good thing to do when you claim to be a Christian. It makes you look like a hypocrite.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
I am Christian, so an area where my beliefs are very similar to others is important.
Jesus spent his time with non-believers and the Apostles did also in order to share the Gospel with them. If your work as a Christian is truly that important to you then you ought to seek out the place with the least Christians. Of course, if you're a Conservative Evangelical Christian™ then you don't worship Jesus Christ so much as Amerikuh, and you'd prefer to avoid non-Christians and "liberals" because your heart isn't in being a witness to any of them but rather just being in clubs and groups with "like-minded" bigots.

Quote:
I want to live in a majority White area, just a personal preference, some don't care, I do...
Why do you think a bigoted majority white area want want you, a Puerto Rican, in their midst, CaneRican??

Quote:
Finally, I tend to volunteer for political campaigns alot, but being in a very Liberal area, volunteering for Conservatives tends to be somewhat unproductive. Plus I like Conservative policies in general, why not live in an area with low taxes, no gay marriage, etc? (If you are Liberal you probably prefer paying higher taxes, abortion on demand... To each their own, I don't judge people based on their political party)
Ah, this confirms to me the type of "Christian" you are. Thanks for being adamant about what your "Christian" witness is all about.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA, my former hometown, would fit the bill. It is is overwhelmingly Democratic but also VERY heavily Roman Catholic. Politically speaking people there are conservative on social issues (i.e. abortion is wrong, gays have cooties, let's make the Bible law, etc.), but they vote Democratic because most are blue-collars who follow their union leaders like sheep being led to slaughter with their tongues hanging out.

It is north of the Ohio River though. White-collar employment is scarce there, but an increasing number of people now power-commute from that area into work in NJ and NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.