Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:53 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times

Advertisements

OK this is what I am looking for.

- Politically Conservative
- At least 80% White suburbs
- House prices averaging around 200K
- Highly Christian area
- East of Lake Michigan, South of the Ohio river
- Place where I can find alot of land, big parks, etc, just outside the city
- City size of 40,000-170,000
- Mild winter (high of at least 45 in January), summer doesn't matter as much
- A big one for me, needs to have jobs in management!!

Thanks in advance! Please recommend your city if you think it would work for me. I am looking for a small town feel. I was planning a move to Lexington, but I'm just not sure anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 04:52 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
You might check out the Nashville, TN area. I know that's above the city size you quoted, but there are suburbs/nearby towns that may fit your criteria. I'd check Franklin, TN or perhaps Murfreesboro, TN.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:21 PM

87 posts, read 358,183 times
Cincinnati just misses your criteria (on the north banks of the Ohio River), but the Kentucky communities just south of Cincinnati should do. Look at Florence, Independence or (my hometown) Erlanger.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Cincinnati is the one city I would consider, but I didn't want to cause any confusion.

I think that I would like Murfreesboro, as it also has alot of great Confederate history, which I happen to love. I also like that Murfreesboro has a young median age, is it a college town? One think that discourages me about TN, NC, or SC is the high unemployment rate in those states.

I think that Nashville would be ideal for me (or even Knoxville), but the management sector has taken a huge hit...

Old 06-23-2009, 06:00 PM

87 posts, read 358,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I think that I would like Murfreesboro, as it also has alot of great Confederate history, which I happen to love. I also like that Murfreesboro has a young median age, is it a college town?
Middle Tennessee State University.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:38 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Whowouldwanttolivethereville, Population YOU

P.S.- avoid NJ like the plague, you would hate it here.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
\

P.S.- avoid NJ like the plague, you would hate it here.
I do, so does most of the country.

It is like a couple of nice upper-class towns followed by slums like Jersey City, the Oranges, Atlantic City, etc. The only place in NJ where I have enjoyed was Hoboken. BTW, I lived in Jersey City for some time... The only thing I liked was taking the PATH train out of there.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
Might want to consider a suburb of Jacksonville, Florida...my guess is you can find most of, if not all of those criteria.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:19 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
I do, so does most of the country.
This is mostly true, except for the thousands who come here for business, many of whom end up moving here. But yes, most people outside of the Northeast avoid NJ, thank God!

Quote:
It is like a couple of nice upper-class towns followed by slums like Jersey City, the Oranges, Atlantic City, etc. The only place in NJ where I have enjoyed was Hoboken. BTW, I lived in Jersey City for some time... The only thing I liked was taking the PATH train out of there.
You have it backwards; it is like a couple of slums like Jersey City and Newark (not "the Oranges" - West Orange is affluent, but I'm not surprised you don't know that) while the rest of the state is made up of mostly affluent, beautiful towns. I'm sorry when you lived here you could only afford to live in a slum in Jersey City and therefore have a myopic, inaccurate view of the state. On second thought, I'm actually glad that was your experience, because it got you to move somewhere else, to be amongst those of your own ilk.

Good luck finding your ideal hick town!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,937 times
Gainesville, FL. It is a college town though, with 90,000 population. Maybe you can find a position in the university. I don't know.

Quote:
OK this is what I am looking for.

- Politically Conservative
- At least 80% White suburbs
- House prices averaging around 200K
- Highly Christian area
- East of Lake Michigan, South of the Ohio river
- Place where I can find alot of land, big parks, etc, just outside the city
- City size of 40,000-170,000
- Mild winter (high of at least 45 in January), summer doesn't matter as much
- A big one for me, needs to have jobs in management!!

Thanks in advance! Please recommend your city if you think it would work for me. I am looking for a small town feel. I was planning a move to Lexington, but I'm just not sure anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.