Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
I'm shocked at how many Southerns, like to stick their dirty feet out of the passenger windows, when they're riding in a truck. Seriously, that is dangerous and disgusting.
I couldn't count on my ten toes the number of times I have cruised the narrow streets of Boston with my legs hanging out the passenger window. It is a very comfortable position and not nearly as dangerous as your mom might have told you when you're 8 (hint: pull 'em in if you see something they're gunna hit). Seriously man, I love good ol' fashioned C-D southern bashing but you are really reaaaaaching for it on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 01:01 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
I am currently surprised at just how beautiful the Puget Sound area is. I knew it would be pretty, but I just wasn't prepared for how green and hilly it is. Even the run-down and industrial areas seem to have their own beauty. The mountains seem so much more dramatic than the Rockies or Appalachians. They seem to rise 10,000 feet straight out of the ocean.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:51 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
On my first trip to Colorado, I was shocked to see two field goal posts with no grass in between them. I think that was somewhere in north Texas or maybe New Mexico. On my first trip to Utah, I was shocked that the home we were visiting had only juice and water to drink - no soda/pop (we call it coke down here), no sweet tea, and no coffee (I was young and didn't know much/any about the Mormon religion). I was shocked to see snow on the ground in June, even though I was in the mountains of Utah. On my first trip to Omaha, I was shocked at how big the city was. I was there for the College World Series and not the city so much, but I left there with an appreciation of Omaha. I was shocked my first time at Mardi Gras in New Orleans - enough said.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit
I couldn't count on my ten toes the number of times I have cruised the narrow streets of Boston with my legs hanging out the passenger window. It is a very comfortable position and not nearly as dangerous as your mom might have told you when you're 8 (hint: pull 'em in if you see something they're gunna hit). Seriously man, I love good ol' fashioned C-D southern bashing but you are really reaaaaaching for it on this one.
Whatever.

I post my own thoughts, and I get bashed.

I'm from New York, not Boston.

I've never been to Boston, so I can't speak for that place.

I've traveled all up and down NC, VA, MD, and SC, and I've seen this plenty of time.

I love the whole "Southern bashing" thing. If I don't like sushi, I guess I'm a Japanese basher, too.

Seriously, this thread is a discussion of mores that shock a person when they have travel to another part of the country. I believe am entitled to postings my thoughts, without repercussions.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 PM

157 posts, read 398,012 times
I grew up in Michigan, left to go to college in Pittsburgh. I hadn't really traveled outside of the Midwest at that point, and the street layout there was just baffling. The topography change was a bit of a shock as well, but learning how to exist without a logical, orderly street grid - something I had always sort of taken for granted - definitely took some time!

Old 07-12-2009, 05:20 PM

27 posts, read 50,425 times
Loved the mountains outside Salt Lake City. Hated the assumption that I was conservative, Christian, and hated the federal government, gay people, gun laws, etc.
Totally impressed by the size of Lake Michigan.
Loved all parts of California -- LA to the Oregon border.
Shocked by how boring Las Vegas can be if you don't like gambling and naked women and you can't afford the pricey shows.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I was surprised that the accents in Morgantown, West Virginia sounded just like Pittsburgh. By the time you get to Cumberland, Maryland they have East Coast accents

Old 07-12-2009, 11:27 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I was surprised that the accents in Morgantown, West Virginia sounded just like Pittsburgh. By the time you get to Cumberland, Maryland they have East Coast accents
NoVa and Maryland has their own distinct accent. I can immediately tell if someone is from that region.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
When I went to the Newark, NJ area where I lived for a couple of years, I was quite shocked about a few things:

How insanely crowded it is

Very little green space

How tightly packed the homes and neighborhoods are

Loud, loud, loud

Crazy traffic and road system

So expensive

Polluted and smelly

Quite rude people

Old 07-19-2009, 10:30 PM

294 posts, read 782,080 times
-How large Phoenix was when I first visited
-How beautiful Charlotte was/is (especially uptown)
-The hugeness of LA
-Salt Lake City seemed much lrager than it's population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.