U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 11:27 PM

6,854 posts, read 6,189,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Y'all really need to up your caliber of friends - that's what it sounds like to me, because racism among ignorant people is EVERYWHERE. And ignorant people are everywhere.

Don't hang out with goobers.

I've lived in NE Texas for 25 years and never experienced the sort of racism you're talking about, except from ONE person and he was as old as Methuselah. He got the "Old Man" pass. And if we're honest, I bet every single one of us knows at least one "Old Man" - from anywhere - who can occasionally throw out racist crap.

One of the most racist old men I've ever known was from Long Island. Just to throw that out there.
Having been bopping in and out of Dallas since 1965...... when racism was still somewhat institutionalized and having come of age in the late '70s and early '80s I've certainly seen the city and metroplex change a lot.

I can kind of see the early '80s stories as being accurate Dallas because still had a lot of that "good 'ole boy, lets go get coldbeer" element to it. I was always shocked coming down from Oklahoma and that type of stuff was way more prevalent in Dallas then it even was in OKC.

Now you'd have to look under rocks to find true good 'ole boys in Dallas. It's so much more sophisticated than it was in 1980. My guess now is the animus/racial tension runs along political ideology more than outright racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 07:24 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,416,589 times
Being from West Virginia, I've encountered a lot of people, while traveling, who state they didn't know WV is a state. I'm not sure how or what other piece of land they consider to be a state to replace WV in the Union but I guess that's another discussion for another time.

Or the person you are speaking with will reply with "West Virginia huh? I have a relative that lives in Richmond." I've had that happen plenty of times.

However, I think the one that caught me off-guard the most was during my last trip to Las Vegas, while in a shoe store, I was chatting with the clerk and we got on the topic of 'where are you from.' I told him WV and he replied with, "Really? That's cool. I'm originally from Richmond." SMH.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:25 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,416,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I think the only thing that has ever shocked and surprised me in the US was my first visit to Texas A&M. I was used to universities (especially state universities) in the sense of ivory-tower/school spirit/free-thinking places, but A&M is about as close to a cult as any public institution I have ever seen. It is a former pretend-military school that went co-ed but continues to carry on "traditions" for damn near everything they do. My subsequent years in Texas dealing with alumni have only reinforced, not dimmed, that opinion.
I've heard the same from multiple people. Sad.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:41 AM

419 posts, read 127,957 times
Texas A&M has to be experienced to truly comprehend how bizarre it is. RocketSci is pretty spot on.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM

56,037 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The location where you probably stop is just over the border in New York south of Bimington.

Since I'd never heard of them, I had to search for company information and locations. It took a minute longer than anticipated because they're named Mirabito.
Hahaha, thanks for the correction. And yes, I come down I-81 and cross below Binghamton.

I still think they're saying their own name wrong. Hehehe.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:09 AM

56,037 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Being from West Virginia, I've encountered a lot of people, while traveling, who state they didn't know WV is a state. I'm not sure how or what other piece of land they consider to be a state to replace WV in the Union but I guess that's another discussion for another time.

Or the person you are speaking with will reply with "West Virginia huh? I have a relative that lives in Richmond." I've had that happen plenty of times.

However, I think the one that caught me off-guard the most was during my last trip to Las Vegas, while in a shoe store, I was chatting with the clerk and we got on the topic of 'where are you from.' I told him WV and he replied with, "Really? That's cool. I'm originally from Richmond." SMH.
Yeah, people are geographically challenged. Didn't they have the wooden puzzle with all the states when they were kids?

I told someone once that I lived in New Jersey, and he responded with how he's been to New England on his motorcycle and really liked it. Um...OK.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:19 AM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times
Recent things:

Ferrari and Lamborghini dealerships in Williamson County, TN. I had no clue how affluent the 'burbs south of Nashville are.

Pickup trucks flying huge Confederate battle flags in eastern inland Connecticut. Err.... your team was wearing blue uniforms in the Civil War.

Cigarette smoking in indoor public spaces in the south. In the northeast and the west coast, that was all banned three decades ago.

Back in the early 1980s, I was doing something in the cornfields of Freemont Ohio. They had a drive-thru liquor store. I'd never seen one of those before.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:32 AM

5,423 posts, read 2,822,310 times
Speaking of ciggies, we were shocked to find that restaurants in WY allowed smoking inside.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:59 AM

419 posts, read 127,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Recent things:

Ferrari and Lamborghini dealerships in Williamson County, TN. I had no clue how affluent the 'burbs south of Nashville are.

Pickup trucks flying huge Confederate battle flags in eastern inland Connecticut. Err.... your team was wearing blue uniforms in the Civil War.

Cigarette smoking in indoor public spaces in the south. In the northeast and the west coast, that was all banned three decades ago.

Back in the early 1980s, I was doing something in the cornfields of Freemont Ohio. They had a drive-thru liquor store. I'd never seen one of those before.
This is becoming a thing in the north. I think it's a thing Conservatives do to show how they don't care about being politically correct. Or something like that.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:27 AM

44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
This is becoming a thing in the north. I think it's a thing Conservatives do to show how they don't care about being politically correct. Or something like that.
Maybe they're just a bunch of redneck hicks - who live scattered everywhere across the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or