Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM

1,351 posts, read 871,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe they're just a bunch of redneck hicks - who live scattered everywhere across the US.
Yeah, there are redneck hicks everywhere, but why would a redneck hick in Connecticut give a rip about the Confederate flag?

They're making a statement of some kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 PM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Yeah, there are redneck hicks everywhere, but why would a redneck hick in Connecticut give a rip about the Confederate flag?

They're making a statement of some kind.
I agree that it's some sort of statement, but I wouldn't assume that it's a mainstream Conservative statement. Fringe far right maybe. Ignorant probably.

I saw Confederate flags in Germany of all places - now THAT was weird! But it makes sense in a way if you're thinking of alt right stuff, which is not mainstream.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree that it's some sort of statement, but I wouldn't assume that it's a mainstream Conservative statement. Fringe far right maybe. Ignorant probably.

I saw Confederate flags in Germany of all places - now THAT was weird! But it makes sense in a way if you're thinking of alt right stuff, which is not mainstream.
Not calling it mainstream. Just more common than it used to be.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:19 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,831,873 times
Quote:
This is becoming a thing in the north. I think it's a thing Conservatives do to show how they don't care about being politically correct. Or something like that.
I was shocked to see one flying in someone's front yard in suburban New Hampshire last Summer.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I was shocked to see one flying in someone's front yard in suburban New Hampshire last Summer.
I've seen them in the following spots in the following Union states in the past year or so:
-In a yard in Minnesota flying at the top of a flag pole (and it was a well kept non-rednecky looking place)
-A guy in Wisconsin just wearing a jacket whose design was the Confederate flag
-As a bumper sticker in Iowa

Old 06-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Not calling it mainstream. Just more common than it used to be.
Well, to be fair, you didn't really make that clear. You said:

Quote:
I think it's a thing Conservatives do to show how they don't care about being politically correct. Or something like that.
Conservatism is main stream. So is liberalism. Both ends of the mainstream political perspectives here are, well, mainstream and common. Alt right or alt left is not mainstream.

I don't see mainstream conservatives in general anywhere displaying Confederate flags but maybe you do, I don't know.

But I will say that for decades, I've seen the occasional Confederate flag displayed in some really surprising locations. Like I said, for instance, in a little village in Germany.

I've seen more confederate flags in Ohio than I've seen in southern states. But even then, the sightings are thankfully rare. I also think that they are generally ridiculous.

Hey true story - when my biracial (half white, half black) son was about fourteen, he wanted to be shocking so he got some dumb Confederate flag ring from God only knows where, and he put it on his finger, right before we walked out the door to go to church. I said, "That is ridiculous, go take that off," and he said, "Yes, m'am" and presumably went to take it off. Well a little while later we were sitting in church and he was fidgeting around and I looked down and he was twisting that ring around and around an ever swelling finger trying to get it off and I hissed at him, "You better get that thing off your finger!" and he whispered back, "Mom, it's stuck - I can't get it off!"

So after church we googled all sorts of ways to get a ring off a finger. NONE of them worked, and now his finger was swelling and turning colors so I said, "Dadgummit, we are going to have to go get this stupid ring cut off your finger at the ER!" So off we went. I was so embarrassed, and of course he was DYING of embarrassment!

They had to go get the HEAD CUSTODIAN to bring some sort of tool to cut that stupid ring off. And the custodian happened to be African American. You should have seen the withering look he gave my very embarrassed son!

Anyway, we finally got that ridiculous ring off - along with a bill for $200. Let's just say that my son spent a chunk of time over the next few months working in exchange for THAT bill!

So - my point is that I think that people who fly a Confederate flag are often trying to be inflammatory. They may not even really know the full portent of that flag. But they are trying to get attention. Oh well. People do display flags, tattoos, bumper stickers, you name it, trying to send a message, many of which are potentially inflammatory, or stupid, or vulgar, or whatever. Have at it. Personally I would think it would sort of suck to be them but oh well.

It's generally surprising in an unpleasant way to see the Confederate flag displayed anywhere, to me anyway. But don't get me started on flags that are surprising in an unpleasant way. There are more than one, I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 06-24-2019 at 01:43 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 01:33 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
Urban renewal —-that areas look great to visitors -but according to locals -are in fact very dangerous

Old 06-24-2019, 02:22 PM

8,770 posts, read 6,691,155 times
Locals often don't have much clue...TV news watchers tend to get a skewed ideal of reality. (The crime-centered local news, or the attempts to stir up discord by national news outlets)

Old 06-24-2019, 02:35 PM

I agree that people who fly the Rebel flag are generally being inflammatory. But I've seen an increase in usage in the north, and assume it's related to the rise of inflammatory political rhetoric and isn't really about the Confederacy, the South, or slavery, and more about being offensive for offensiveness sake.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I agree that people who fly the Rebel flag are generally being inflammatory. But I've seen an increase in usage in the north, and assume it's related to the rise of inflammatory political rhetoric and isn't really about the Confederacy, the South, or slavery, and more about being offensive for offensiveness sake.
Yep I've seen an increase in both being offensive and finding offense easily, across the US. Maybe even across the world. Political divisions at their best!

And actually I think that's shocking, because it seems that civility is not enough, which is a shame, especially in a country where so many people have such different value systems. We simply cannot force everyone to believe as we do but we can all treat our neighbors the way we want to be treated. That would be a great start!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.