Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 03:28 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,570,406 times

Advertisements

When we moved back East, we were shocked by how run down many things were compared to the South West. The roads, houses not cared for inside and out and other things. Also, how people would say whatever they were thinking, no filter. I grew up in that environment, but not having been there so many years and coming back to that, it was eye opening and took time to readjust to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 03:35 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,753,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I've seen them in the following spots in the following Union states in the past year or so:
-In a yard in Minnesota flying at the top of a flag pole (and it was a well kept non-rednecky looking place)
I remember seeing a home with a confederate flag near Winona years ago. Wonder if it’s the same place.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,061,175 times
Quote:
I've seen them in the following spots in the following Union states in the past year or so:
-In a yard in Minnesota flying at the top of a flag pole (and it was a well kept non-rednecky looking place)
-A guy in Wisconsin just wearing a jacket whose design was the Confederate flag
-As a bumper sticker in Iowa
These are people who feel compelled to announce to the world that they're scumbags and proud of it. They're everywhere in the US.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:57 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,202,031 times
Quote:
I agree that people who fly the Rebel flag are generally being inflammatory. But I've seen an increase in usage in the north, and assume it's related to the rise of inflammatory political rhetoric and isn't really about the Confederacy, the South, or slavery, and more about being offensive for offensiveness sake.
I used to see them in my hometown in SW PA as a kid. We were pretty close to the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:52 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,857,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I used to see them in my hometown in SW PA as a kid. We were pretty close to the Mason-Dixon line.
I've seen a couple in Nevada. I even saw one in an apartment in Chicago once.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:59 AM

10,118 posts, read 15,782,416 times
In California and Maryland I was shocked by the high taxes and the cost of living. Maryland also has extreme toll rates across its bridges and tunnels. Here in Louisiana except for the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway there are no tolls anywhere. It costs $8 round trip across Baltimore County. The government overregulation and liberal politics was also a shock, such as having plastic bag taxes, plastic straw bans, etc. In the Northeast and California it was also shocking how almost all working class jobs are done by immigrants including fast food, landscapping etc. You go to a McDonalds in Louisiana or WV and everyone who works there is still American and speaks English.

Likewise, people I know form the north when visiting the South are shocked at the lack of toll roads, how many communities don't have recycling, etc. Many visitors who come here from outside the South are also shocked by the amount of people who smoke here.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:42 AM

3,551 posts, read 3,019,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
In California and Maryland I was shocked by the high taxes and the cost of living. Maryland also has extreme toll rates across its bridges and tunnels. Here in Louisiana except for the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway there are no tolls anywhere. It costs $8 round trip across Baltimore County. The government overregulation and liberal politics was also a shock, such as having plastic bag taxes, plastic straw bans, etc. In the Northeast and California it was also shocking how almost all working class jobs are done by immigrants including fast food, landscapping etc. You go to a McDonalds in Louisiana or WV and everyone who works there is still American and speaks English.

Likewise, people I know form the north when visiting the South are shocked at the lack of toll roads, how many communities don't have recycling, etc. Many visitors who come here from outside the South are also shocked by the amount of people who smoke here.
It should go without saying that the entire South is not the same, as in Texas toll roads are taking over, many if not most now are limited access that require an EZ tag as they no longer take cash. Like the Baltimore example, a trip around the Beltway in Houston can add up to tens of dollars per trip. The predominance of non-cash toll roads in Houston, and their continued expansion, I am sure has got to be a shock to anyone trying to navigate through the city that does not live in Texas.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:38 PM

5,685 posts, read 4,589,752 times
The condition of so many small cities in Eastern NY on our trip last fall. A lot of businesses and homes appeared abandoned.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:54 PM

6,296 posts, read 6,935,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
When we moved back East, we were shocked by how run down many things were compared to the South West. The roads, houses not cared for inside and out and other things. Also, how people would say whatever they were thinking, no filter. I grew up in that environment, but not having been there so many years and coming back to that, it was eye opening and took time to readjust to.
Felt the same way when I first came back to California in the late 80’s and early 90’s.

Everything was falling apart and needing repair. It really hasn’t gotten much better in recent years. In the 60’s and 70’s when I lived there everything was brand new and shiny!!

Old 06-26-2019, 06:10 PM

1,991 posts, read 889,820 times
The first time I drove out west from the east coast, I was really impressed how the skyline just opened up. Mountains that were 50-60 miles away were clearly visible. Coming back home from my visit this contrast of vista was brought home by my passage through Oklahoma on I40. Entering the state from the west and driving east, I had this sensation that the interstate was getting narrower and narrower as we drove east. My line of sight was getting shorter and the vegetation seemed to close in. It was one those perceptions that stick with me to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.