U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,989,494 times

Advertisements

First time I traveled up north and saw all the leafless trees. Very gloomy ang gray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:34 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,230,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
First time I traveled up north and saw all the leafless trees. Very gloomy ang gray.
But then they come back to life after a few months and it looks even better. I'd rather have that than no change in the trees

Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 AM

3,844 posts, read 8,025,864 times
Charleston, SC

I was VERY impressed with their Downtown area....gorgeous old buildings and vibrant streetlife....I honestly didn't have much expectations.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:06 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,282,184 times
Static electricity... mainly in the Rockies in the wintertime.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:47 AM

159 posts, read 208,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Don't be such a drama queen with your sweeping generalizations. You worry about your water issues and AZ will worry about their issues. I've never heard anyone in PHX demand that water from the coast get desalinized and sent to them or diverted from the Great Lakes. BTW, do some research on where PHX water sources come from before you post. Perhaps Phoenicians didn't take kindly to your attitude which may be why you only made friends with two people.
I've heard your state government make suggestions to my state government and to the midwest states that border the greatlakes such as mine, minnesota, about maybe diverting some water to arizona from the greatlakes.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,213,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Yeah, it depresses the heck out of me sometimes.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:40 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,669,375 times
The first time I was in rural Texas and drivers ahead of me would pull over into the shoulder to let me pass, and then wave. Very cool.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:48 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,433,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In the Los Angeles area, I was shocked at how close people live to one another in houses. I'm talking expensive houses and you could practically spit in your neighbor's bedroom window. I know why (taxes) people don't seem to have much property there but it didn't make it any less jarring to see it.

Long Island, NY - I was just there in May after having been away for a long period of time and I was shocked at the condition of the roads. I'm guessing having lived there most of my life, it's something I didn't notice when I was there but after being away for awhile, just couldn't believe the bumpy drives with potholes, I took. Which brings me to my next one...

I make a 10.5 hour drive from where I lived in Maryland to where I live now in Tennessee and never pay a toll. That's right, 10.5 hour drive, no tolls, a good deal of that trip going through Virginia, mostly on Interstates. But I paid $8 to go over the George Washington Bridge and $5 (or $6) to go over the Throgs Neck Bridge and $9 and change for the pleasure of riding on the NJ Turnpike when I went from MD to NY and that doesn't include the tolls in Delaware. And it's a bump, bump, bump ride or pothole dodging drive most of the way in NY/NJ (but mostly in NY and that's all the way out to Eastern Long Island). Just where is that toll money going?

I was shocked that I cried the entire time I was in the Kansas City area. There's something in the air there that makes water pour out of my eyes when I am outdoors, that I have never experienced in any other place in any other state I have been to and I've been to about 33. I'm talking non-stop water pouring out of my eyes, even when in a car.

I was surprised at how beautiful Utah is. I was in Ogden and Salt Lake City one year during Halloween week and there was some snow in the mountains. I guess with the salt flats, I just had in my mind that it was flatter than what it is. Flying into Utah is also beautiful from the air.

I was surprised at Tennessee's distinctive regional music roots and that influence on music from a national historical perspective. For those that don't know, Tennessee is divided into 3 regions: East, West and Middle. The historical influence in the East (Appalachians) is bluegrass, the historical influence in the Middle (Nashville) is country and the historical influence in the West (Memphis) is blues/rock and roll. I had been to Memphis and Nashville on visits in the past before moving to East Tennessee and music wise they are as different as night and day. I think it's very rare for a state to be so well known for it's historical impact on the national music scene.
I live on Long Island. Yeah the roads suck, and our government is insanely corrupt...but here you really do get what you pay for. $10 for a toll seems like a lot, granted, but LI is one of the richest places in the country...highest incomes...so of course everything is going to cost more here. We have 8.5% sales tax!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
That's true, but being shocked at something doesn't necessarily mean in a bad way. I agree that people are people (and also don't like massive generalizations about the "type" of person in a city or state) but also believe that there are differences between regions. Different histories, cultures, traditions, and physical environments all contribute to giving a place its own sense of unique identity. This thread is interesting because it does highlight some of those differences or perceptions of differences. Regional variations make life interesting.
hahaha, I breathe fire

Old 06-26-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
In New Jersey there are two lane highways with onramps on offramps on both sides. In Boston there are stop signs at the end of many onramps. NYC had no really big grocery stores where you buy everything.
food emporium and gristedes

now, gas stations are something you don't see alot of in NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or