U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 02:22 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,737,069 times

Advertisements

I went to NYC to work back in the 90s thinking it was going to be awful......but I loved it. Most of the people were great, and the energy of that city was fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 03:25 AM

4,625 posts, read 8,851,600 times
Coming from Albany NY:

Miami: How beautiful and horny the women were. How gorgeous was the turquoise ocean. How clean it was. How nice everyone was - I felt like there was hope! I saw sex on the beach. I saw a man with breasts. An old man standing on the street dressed as a lady! People blowing lights at 50 mph. Driving on the sidewalk. $160 per month two blocks from the beach?

Dallas: I couldn't believe in downtown Dallas on Friday night amidst all those skyscrapers there was not a soul on the street. And there was a little tiny house with and unmowed lawn right next to a 50 story building. Unbelievable.

Arkansas: Driving a car without a plate or insurance?! You can do that?!

Boston: Insane drivers. Driving in the breakdown lane is legal? Driving reverse down the street? Wrong way on a one-way? Double-parking next to an available parking spot?

Old 06-27-2009, 03:38 AM

4,625 posts, read 8,851,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol you just assume most people here are depressed by no leaves on the trees? If someone is depressed because of bare trees, they have a problem.

I guess i got a problem then. I lived most of my life in the north and trees without leaves just look dead to me. And it forbodes the loooong months of suffering. Everything dead from November to May. One big giant coffin. agonizing. I'll take palm trees any day!

Old 06-27-2009, 04:16 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
I think it varies. There are places where the trees don't really seem to turn pretty in the Fall, they just look withered than die. I've been told it's a moisture thing. That in really dry places or years they pretty much just die rather than going through a pretty period. I don't know for certain if that's true as botany was never one of my interests.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:26 AM

7,491 posts, read 6,472,992 times
1st. The LITTER. It's everywhere, but from our travels (WA-AZ; TX-FL, GA-ME) the worst is in the South, and LA is the worst of the South. They are still claiming Katrina, but it's been YEARS since that disaster. (New Orleans is a shame to us ALL, BTW.)

2nd. The open friendliness of nearly everyone we've met. Texans were the MOST friendly: "Hi, how y'all?" but truly we've been greeted kindly by everyone, right up to Maine. (Here, the faces on the street aren't so open, but they seem to warm up indoors.)

Travels these past several months have renewed my sense of wonder at how truly great our potential is here in America. (Now, if we would just concentrate on our strengths and get over our petty differences!)

Be well.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:31 AM

1,345 posts, read 3,767,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I went to DC because I won a contest. I did not intend to win, I only entered to win a bit of cash and maybe some food. Instead I won the trip. At the time all I ever heard of DC is that it was a murder capital and crime cesspool. So when I won the trip I started crying because I was terrified of being sent to what I thought was equivalent to Beirut. (Which was then a warzone) I was initially insistent on refusing the trip, but ultimately agreed to take it.

So compared to my expectations DC was actually much much cleaner and prettier than I expected. That said the contest people kept me away from the more dangerous areas.
Was this in 1985? DC was the murder capital a long time ago, but now it's probably one of the nicest cities in the country. Why do you think the prices are so high? All of the poor people were pushed out and the yuppies moved in. There's quite a few tv shows and movies being shot in DC right now. Right now it's building up at an extremely fast pace.

As far as being dirty, all I hear is people commenting on how clean it is. I agree that it's humid, but it's similar to most of the northeast. Not the southeast like someone mentioned.

Most people have this image of a crime-ridden government town, but they judge it one what they know from 25 years ago. If you haven't visited in the past 5 years, you don't have much of a clue about the city. One example I can give is that each fire house went to about 2-3 working fires every day up to about 10 years ago. Now you can go a whole day without a fire in the entire city.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,990,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Nothing but green trees all year gets very boring. Besides, those frawns(?) do die and turn brown. When they fall off into the street, they look like road kill. That is pretty?
I'll take boring over depressing. I don't mind when Palm fronds die, because then I can use them either on my tiki bar, or to stoke a fire. And I don't see them laying in the street that often, because the city or county clears them pretty fast. Raking all those leafs up north in the fall would be worse.

Last edited by TB Fla; 06-27-2009 at 11:39 AM..

Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,990,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol you just assume most people here are depressed by no leaves on the trees? If someone is depressed because of bare trees, they have a problem.
Geez, I even added the "IMO" to avoid someone sayin "I just assume most people" . I guess its not good enough for you. You just can't handle when someone has a different opinion then you. I must have a problem becasue I think differently right?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:40 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,985,315 times
I flew to Washington DC when I was a teen. We had to get out on the tarmac and walk to the terminal for some reason, and I was shocked at how hot and humid it was in May. I felt like I was going to faint!

As for the other Washington, I'll bet a lot of people are shocked when they ride through eastern Washington State and it's not all misty and green! (I wasn't, when I visited, but that's because I knew better)

I was shocked when I visited Mississippi and the drug store cashier looked at my Canadian quarter like it was an ancient Roman coin or something. It never occurred to me (living near the Canadian border as I do) that people down South might never have seen Canadian money. In NY, Canadian coins (pennies, nickels, quarters) wind up in your wallet all the time and you can pay for stuff with it with no problem - nobody seems to check or care. (of course, banks won't take them)

Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,825,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Coming from Albany NY:

Miami: How beautiful and horny the women were. How gorgeous was the turquoise ocean. How clean it was. How nice everyone was - I felt like there was hope! I saw sex on the beach. I saw a man with breasts. An old man standing on the street dressed as a lady! People blowing lights at 50 mph. Driving on the sidewalk. $160 per month two blocks from the beach?

Dallas: I couldn't believe in downtown Dallas on Friday night amidst all those skyscrapers there was not a soul on the street. And there was a little tiny house with and unmowed lawn right next to a 50 story building. Unbelievable.

Arkansas: Driving a car without a plate or insurance?! You can do that?!

Boston: Insane drivers. Driving in the breakdown lane is legal? Driving reverse down the street? Wrong way on a one-way? Double-parking next to an available parking spot?
I will totally agree with your comments on Boston. I took a vacation there in the 80's as a 20-something, and with my only driving experience in the western US, was completely overwhelmed with the behavior of Boston drivers. It was as if many simply put on blindfolds and stepped on the gas. I had never experienced such random, aggressive, devil-may-care driving in my life. I will presume that it is an aquired skill (?) and that if you live there you can compensate, but I will never forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or