U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 09:07 PM

24 posts, read 36,786 times

Advertisements

I remember when I visited New York, I thought to myself, "man is this whole place buildings?!" . I remember it was the first time I was in a subway and that was kind of scary for me. It was a fun trip, New York was exactly what I thought it would be. Still, there's a lot of buildings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:16 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,271,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
We've got the "What shocked you about the US" for foreigners list on here. Since America is so big it's like being in a different country from one area to another I thought I'd start a thread for Americans about what surprised you when traveling to another part of the US.

I'll start. I'm a lifelong Kentuckian. When I went to South Carolina and SE Georgia for the first time I was shocked at why there were no farms on all that flat land - in Kentucky all flat land is cleared of forest and farmed, only creek beds and hillsides are left to forest. I actually asked someone at a restaurant if something was wrong with the land around there

When I went to Pennsylvania I was shocked that there were no name brand gas stations - everything was named "Wa Wa" or something else equally stupid. How do people up there know they're getting good name brand gas from Shell or Chevron and not lower quality stuff from Speedway or BP?
When I went to Memphis I was surprised as to how liberal it was. It was almost like the San Francisco of the Middle South.

When I went to Alabama I was shocked that their was no chain grocery stores( keep in mind that I was in rural Alabama) Almost every town I went through said _________ Food Mart/Market.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:26 PM

302 posts, read 635,037 times
Default Surprized not Shocked

Being from So Cal and travelling through the South was an eye-opener for me. I was surprized that there is still such black/white prejudice. But I was pleasantly surprized by the courteous nature of the southern people even the young people who know what "yes ma'am", "yes sir" and "thank you" words mean.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:23 PM

5,412 posts, read 2,738,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
1st. The LITTER. It's everywhere, but from our travels (WA-AZ; TX-FL, GA-ME) the worst is in the South, and LA is the worst of the South. They are still claiming Katrina, but it's been YEARS since that disaster. (New Orleans is a shame to us ALL, BTW.)
Rrrreeeeally? Please tell us how soon you think they should have been able to clean that up.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,318,635 times
We just don't have patience for bad or lost drivers in Boston.

As to the topic: Northern Virginia's beauty and Colorado's lack thereof, get my votes. Also, as I sit on the Tarmac of Kahului Airport. Maui was a little underwhelming.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:34 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinestater View Post
I remember when I visited New York, I thought to myself, "man is this whole place buildings?!" . I remember it was the first time I was in a subway and that was kind of scary for me. It was a fun trip, New York was exactly what I thought it would be. Still, there's a lot of buildings!

Go to the north/east Bronx and east Queens and you would never think you're in NYC--

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_j5OBhysXeFU/SR...k/PB040352.JPG

http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/10233690.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ittle_Neck.png

Old 06-28-2009, 09:45 PM

2,094 posts, read 5,868,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Akron, Toledo, Dayton.
The comment was probably an anomaly. Ohio has a very large Italian population, particularly in Cleveland and Youngstown. I'm assuming the issue had to do with the person actually thinking you looked alike and had NOTHING to do with you being Italian.

Even stranger, the cities you listed are majority Catholic.. so I am having some doubts!

http://www.city-data.com/city/Akron-Ohio.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Toledo-Ohio.html

Last edited by WeSoHood; 06-28-2009 at 09:55 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 12:27 AM

254 posts, read 428,414 times
I was shocked to see how dirty and third world like California was. Hopefully their large illegal population won't spill over into the neighboring states, namely Washington.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 AM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
the severe poverty in SW louisiana.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 23 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,132,956 times
When I went to the Philadelphia area a couple things surprised me

1. Most freeways are only 2 lanes each way. I-476 usually had deer grazing along it!

2. Had much it's suburbs looked like anywhere else I'd been (might as well had been Bowling Green, KY)

3. All the row homes in the city and older suburbs - I think one architecture designed most of that city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or