Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 08:21 AM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
We don't have Wawa here in NY and whenever we'd go to one in NJ it was like the most amazing thing ever, lol.
Wawa is known more for its cawfee than its gas. Decent sandwiches, too.

But I stop at a place in northeastern PA off of I-81 called Morabito. There's a chain of them.

The gas pump was spewing out an advertisement, and I was startled to hear it pronounced More-RAB-bit-oh. Anyone I've ever known with that name said, "Mo-ra-BEE-toe.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:25 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,249,386 times
I was shocked at how much I liked so many cities in Ohio - and at how picturesque so many areas are of Ohio. I don't know what I was expecting, and I actually lived outside of Columbus when I was a kid so I do have some memories of that region but they were mostly of fall, the little town, my school, etc. So seeing Ohio again as an adult was very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I feel like living in NYC makes you immune to shockworthy stuff, lol.

Rats in a restaurant while you're eating your bagel, totally normal.
Hobo on the street defecating, totally normal.
Turds in plain sight on the subways, totally normal.
$19 to cross a bridge - psssh no big deal

Honestly, this city has taken my soul, nothing surprises me anymore. I have SEEN IT ALL
I saw a young guy near Penn Station the other day sitting on a bollard counting money in his hand. I mean, he had a number of 20s. As I watched, his head slowly drooped down and he went into a nod. (For those of you who aren't used to seeing heroin addicts, they go off into this dreamlike state called nodding, appearing to drift off to sleep.) His hands relaxed, and the money was still in them. I bet it wasn't in his hands for long.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:02 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,674,887 times
Perhaps not shocked, but disappointed on how trashed out towns can be in places like Colorado. So trendy and expensive, yet not nearly as well kept as an average dirt-cheap midwestern burg.
I’d love to find a reasonably affordable place out west. 100k or less for something that didn’t roll in on it’s own wheels.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:14 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I saw a young guy near Penn Station the other day sitting on a bollard counting money in his hand. I mean, he had a number of 20s. As I watched, his head slowly drooped down and he went into a nod. (For those of you who aren't used to seeing heroin addicts, they go off into this dreamlike state called nodding, appearing to drift off to sleep.) His hands relaxed, and the money was still in them. I bet it wasn't in his hands for long.
There is a lady in Penn Station who stands at the bottom of the escalator by the entrance on 7th & 31st and holds a cup and cries for money. Meanwhile everyday she has a new hair color & new nail polish with make-up on point always … I see where her priorities lie.

I don't give money to anyone. I don't believe they are all legit. Some people do really need help, but there are a lot who don't. There are also resources for people in legit need, that's what those places are for .. NOT for the general public to 'feed' them.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:15 AM

8,196 posts, read 5,324,164 times
Wisconsin. One of the most beautiful states this country has to offer. I really enjoy it up there.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:19 AM

4,425 posts, read 5,298,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK well you didn't clarify that "the burbs" were not in "Houston proper" so thanks. I would still be willing to bet that many restaurants in the Houston burbs are smoke free. Can't speak for Chili's - it's not a restaurant I ever get the urge to visit. They have like four ingredients and they just mix them up in different ratios and call them different things!

I'm not "justifying" the trucks by the way, just clarifying that people aren't driving them due to snow (as your original post mentioned) but for other reasons, which happen to be valid. But sure, I can imagine that you're shocked by them. I am shocked to see rusted out vehicles all over the roads when I travel through places that get a lot of snow and ice, believe me. While we're talking about what shocks us, I'll add that when I was in Ohio in March, I was shocked to see huge piles of dirty snow piled up in parking lots all over the place. Oh my gosh! I. Can't. Even.

Too bad about the mildew - Houston must be a lot more humid than my NE Texas region - I'm sure it is. I've never known anyone to have mildew in their car vents - or their home vents for that matter. Though my husband did get some pretty nasty mold in his accommodations up in PA once and actually got sick from breathing it, so yeah, that's a bad problem to have.

I'm not going to get into your political musings - sorry to disappoint. It must be frustrating to sit so quietly while others go on and on in apparently repugnant ways in real life. I can't even imagine! I don't know how you stand it - I sure couldn't.
I have also never heard of this being an issue. Have family that lives in Houston and Corpus Christi and none of them have experienced this either.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:21 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,186,556 times
I moved to Biloxi, Mississippi from Seattle, Washington in the early 70's and was completely shocked at the casual and condoned racisim. I worked at a seafood canning plant called DeJeans and worked for about 20 minutes stacking pallets with a guy named Jake. Jake was black and had been stacking pallets for years. After the 20 minutes I was upgraded to the canning machine where the lids were attached. I'm guessing it was because I was white. I worked at the place for about 2 weeks and then found another job. I also high-footed back to Washington after 3 months or so. Southern Mississippi was not the place for me.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
There is a lady in Penn Station who stands at the bottom of the escalator by the entrance on 7th & 31st and holds a cup and cries for money. Meanwhile everyday she has a new hair color & new nail polish with make-up on point always … I see where her priorities lie.

I don't give money to anyone. I don't believe they are all legit. Some people do really need help, but there are a lot who don't. There are also resources for people in legit need, that's what those places are for .. NOT for the general public to 'feed' them.
Yup. I looked at their feet to see if they are wearing better sneakers than mine.

Used to be a woman in the original WTC who would stand there with her eyes closed holding a red-tipped white cane and a cup. Then one day somebody in my office saw her blocks away, cane tucked under her arm walking briskly and apparently just as able to see as you and I.

There was a another young guy for a while who would stand with his leg kind of twisted on crutches at the bottom of the PATH well where the escalators were. He wore a neck brace, too. There was a store down on the PATH level, and one day when the lottery was high I went down there because I knew there'd be no line. It was about 2:30 in the afternoon, and there was the guy screwing his crutches together to get ready for the evening rush. Must've robbed a surgical supply store.

During the tourist season in lower Manhattan, I swear sometimes there are three to a block. The only one I think might be legit is the guy who is missing a leg.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I moved to Biloxi, Mississippi from Seattle, Washington in the early 70's and was completely shocked at the casual and condoned racisim. I worked at a seafood canning plant called DeJeans and worked for about 20 minutes stacking pallets with a guy named Jake. Jake was black and had been stacking pallets for years. After the 20 minutes I was upgraded to the canning machine where the lids were attached. I'm guessing it was because I was white. I worked at the place for about 2 weeks and then found another job. I also high-footed back to Washington after 3 months or so. Southern Mississippi was not the place for me.
That's how I felt when I went to Dallas. Another Jersey friend and I stayed in an apartment with a friend whose mom was from Texas, and she had moved back there. The people in her complex threw the "N" word around casually in every other sentence. My sister was married to my black BIL for a few years by then, and I knew I'd better not mention that. It's not as if we didn't have racism in Jersey (still do), but it wasn't so openly demonstrated, and saying "N" wasn't acceptable. Back in the 60s, I remember my brother getting whacked with a wooden yardstick by my mother for teaching that word to my sister and me.

They also all kept talking about the "wetbacks". We had no idea what that meant, and then someone explained they meant Mexicans.

Another weird thing was that we were in our early 20s at the time, and the woman our age who lived there already had two or three kids and some of them were on their second marriages.

Everybody carried a gun, too. Women in their purses, men in their boots.

It was like visiting a foreign country. That was in the early 80s. Don't know if the level of racism is the same there or not now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.