Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,459,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
YES, Thank you!!
You're welcome. I think that came up soon after I joined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:52 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,979,682 times
what I noticed driving around the South was that some houses had LARGE front yards but no fences.

Why dont they have fences?

Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
what I noticed driving around the South was that some houses had LARGE front yards but no fences.

Most houses outside the Southwest don't have fenced front yards.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:30 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,477,769 times
Quote:

It's harder for the neighbors to visit if you've got a fence.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Most houses outside the Southwest don't have fenced front yards.

I did not know this, it just seems your yard is open to tresspassers or thieves.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:13 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times
Quote:
I did not know this, it just seems your yard is open to tresspassers or thieves.
Or open to friends and neighbors.

Not all places are filled with people looking for an easy mark to rip off.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM

730 posts, read 2,246,738 times
In NYC I was shocked to see how well kids my son's age could navigate the city's subways- ALONE.
It scared & impressed me all at the same time. My 11 year old son can't even find his socks in the morning

Old 10-06-2009, 03:44 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,661,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
When I went East I was shocked by the density of the cities vs. the Midwest ... and then compare that to the West, where it seemed you could drive for hours and not see a town. Especially Wyoming ... I saw more dead cattle or animals than people. I was actually literally happy to see a gas station, which meant I got to see people!

I was awed at how beautiful some towns in Montana are. Absolutely gorgeous.

I was shocked at first when I moved to Seattle. I was helping register people to vote during what's called the Fremont Fair, held every summer solstice. Little did I know it should be called the "naked parade" as that's exactly what it was ... hundreds of people walking around with no clothing in the parade. Funny story is my first girlfriend in Seattle was a participant.

Another thing that shocked me in Seattle was the fact that the first time I went to a normal looking bar nearly half the females there were actually dudes, or transgender. I guess I had always been accostomed to seeing some sort of clue in the name or exterior appearance. I didn't think it was wrong or anything (one TG woman had me fooled real good), but it was just ... different.

In Phoenix I was shocked that people felt like it was their god-given right to have green grass lawns and demand that water from the coast get desalinized and sent to them, or that water be diverted from the Great Lakes (!) to them. Screw that. You're in the desert, get real. Also, people there were the most rude, obnoxious, gun-toting, crazy-driving, ultra-conservative, and self-important people I've ever met. In my short time (3 months) there I made friends with only transplants (a girl from CA, a girl from MI, and a dude who I worked with while I was there who was from Texas).
Wow I would go crazy if I live in a place like that being that I'm from NYC.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Or open to friends and neighbors.

Not all places are filled with people looking for an easy mark to rip off.

in New Mexico they are

these people will steal anything here, from roadside memorials to dogs

Old 10-06-2009, 08:05 PM

9,103 posts, read 13,122,048 times
Quote:
Its different from where you are I guess. I actually read a book on California gardens once, so I understand what you are saying.

Anyway in the East, the front lawn and garden is usually open for view. The front lawns on a suburban block almost become like a Commons. I can tell you that at least on densely populated Long Island --- it would be a horror if every house had a wall in front of it instead of grass or trees.

I think it depends what part of the country you are from. I am glad it is not all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.