U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,398 times

Advertisements

I am 86 years old and a former US Marine from WW2, in fair health, but, with a walking dissability.
I am a non smoker, and I do not use alcahol or drugs. I am currently living in the Philippines on my
social securety $750.00 per month and getting by with the help of a young caring Filippina who prepares
my meals and other needs at no cost. However, the Philippine Government may have me deported for
overstaying my US Visa, in this case.I do not know what my future holds. I have NO family or close friends. Can you reccomend a homeless shelter anywhere in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 05:02 PM

639 posts, read 1,117,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I agree compassion, but I also think some poeple are not exposed to how serious it is, living in rural america and some large west coast cities are two different places. Much of the homelessness in Portland, is also involved with Meth Useage, and Im sorry I don't care to get beat up by thugs for my spare change, and its a common occurance here. I feel sorry for them, but I also have to be careful where I go in town, because of how many and how closely interwoven drugs and homelessness are here and how Portland is a live and let live type of mentality, that can and has gotten people hurt here. The homelessness got so out of hand here when the state Mental Hospitals were closed, With so few large cities in states such as this, the people wander the streets, and have large camps under bridges and along the river, some are very violent, it is sad,yes I agree I wish it would end, but there are a number of times it is frightening just going around much of town, and one has to be careful. We have had 2 murders commited by random attacks on people in the past year, one a employee at mcdonalds, and another a man waiting in line at a restaurant, both of these were homeless, mentally ill people that got ahold of a knife and just went beserk.
2 in a whole year in a city of 600K?
I think you have nothing to worry about.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:05 PM

639 posts, read 1,117,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald1234% View Post
Over one trillion dollars has been spent since the 1960's on erradicating poverty and the result has been more poverty. The reason is simple, it's human nature, if people can get something for doing nothing, they'll take it. Every program that provides an unearned benefit will result in more people adopting the behaviour that yields the benefit.

The best solution to poverty would be to eliminate anti-poverty programs. Seems harsh, but getting a job is the only real poverty solution for people. And, people who have no incentive to get a job will never be employed and, unfortunately this attitude tends to filter down to their children.
Its because 90% of that trillion has gone to lining politicians and the upper classes pockets. Sure the insane ones are the ones you see downtown begging for change looking weird, but the average age for a homeless person in America is 13 years old. Not even old enough to legally get a job.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:08 PM

318 posts, read 761,951 times
I've heard that Hawaii (I want to say it's Honolulu or Waikiki, but I could very well be wrong), for $3 a night, offers food/shelter/healthcare/etc to its homeless. I know of several homeless folks who've chosen homelessness as an alternative lifestyle have gone to Hawaii on a one-way ticket and have never looked back.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:13 PM

318 posts, read 761,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Webster Purdy View Post
I am 86 years old and a former US Marine from WW2, in fair health, but, with a walking dissability.
I am a non smoker, and I do not use alcahol or drugs. I am currently living in the Philippines on my
social securety $750.00 per month and getting by with the help of a young caring Filippina who prepares
my meals and other needs at no cost. However, the Philippine Government may have me deported for
overstaying my US Visa, in this case.I do not know what my future holds. I have NO family or close friends. Can you reccomend a homeless shelter anywhere in the US.
One idea is to embrace an alternative lifestyle, vanning. Live in a van. I know MANY people who do it and are truly happy. Plus, you have a place to call your own, something that most homeless would die for.

I'm confident many might reply and say you won't have room for your belongings, you wouldn't be able to cook or bathe, and you'd be running from the law but trust me, people DO IT and are happy, clean, and sane. If you'd even consider it, do some research and you'll discover that, like I said, it's totally doable.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times
I agree with Oregonrain in that Portland must have some of the highest percentage of homelessness. But it's been that way for a very long time and I blame much of that on tolerance. Same with San Francisco.

When I spent almost 2 weeks in New York a few years ago I rarely saw homeless people on the streets. I'm sure they exist somewhere in the city, but for the most part it is not tolerated.

And I get pretty tired of hearing people say that we don't do enough for them. More and more of the homeless are people who have simply hit bad times. Those, I can agree with some assistance, but don't know what or to what extent.

But a large percentage of them are mentally ill, and what do you do with them? Especially the violent ones? I always say, bring back the mental institutions; however, not only have most of them closed ~ many people actually think they are offensive. Stupid.

And, of course, there are the ones who are on the streets of their own accord, whether they just choose to be there (and there are a few who do) or are there through bad decisions they made. I don't want to be responsible for this category.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,155 times
Because of the vast reasons why people are homeless there is no one solution. How ever if the government would take the aid that they give to other countries, and apply it to assisting the totally economic disadvantage, gains can be made in cutting down on homelessness. I am offering my email address for direct comments [email]lemart_42@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 06-30-2011, 05:10 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,832,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Webster Purdy View Post
Well if you are returned to the US you will get VA healthcare benefits which should take care of your medical needs. As for your income you can rent a 1 bedroom in many places for that amount or less in addition to be able to get food stamps assistance based on your income. You don't have to be homeless if you return to the US.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:54 PM

704 posts, read 1,325,963 times
Honolulu has a very large homeless population but a lot of them are very friendly and a good amount of them have jobs, cell phones, laptops, and even cars. I've spent a few nights sleeping on the beach and parks myself and its very relaxing. Considering the weather never gets below 65 degrees I can see why Honolulu would be a promising place for anyone considering the homeless lifestyle. Lets also take into consideration that almost all parks have showers and public restrooms.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:27 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,459,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I agree with Oregonrain in that Portland must have some of the highest percentage of homelessness. But it's been that way for a very long time and I blame much of that on tolerance. Same with San Francisco.

When I spent almost 2 weeks in New York a few years ago I rarely saw homeless people on the streets. I'm sure they exist somewhere in the city, but for the most part it is not tolerated.

And I get pretty tired of hearing people say that we don't do enough for them. More and more of the homeless are people who have simply hit bad times. Those, I can agree with some assistance, but don't know what or to what extent.

But a large percentage of them are mentally ill, and what do you do with them? Especially the violent ones? I always say, bring back the mental institutions; however, not only have most of them closed ~ many people actually think they are offensive. Stupid.

And, of course, there are the ones who are on the streets of their own accord, whether they just choose to be there (and there are a few who do) or are there through bad decisions they made. I don't want to be responsible for this category.
The homeless in NYC fall into 2 categories, locals who are on drugs/mentally imbalanced, and the transients who only stay through the summer. There are alot more homeless in the summer compared to the winter but there's always the same guys you pass everyday on the way to work.

And to everyone who visits NYC, if a homeless person has pets or looks to be in good shape, chances are that this person is not a homeless person but makes a living begging for change from strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or