U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:40 PM

34,691 posts, read 33,695,295 times

Advertisements

My observation - no central downtown area, no visible homeless. If people have to drive to everything they go to (post office, stores, hospital, eating places, government services, other services, etc.) in the town, then it's not conducive to homelessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 15,501 times
dallas,tx.they got a place there called the bridge that helps homeless people get off the streets and into apartments rent free.also their mens shelter there lets you stay there as long as u want.also dallas has a lot of job oppurtunities.definitely dallas.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 15,501 times
texas is the best place to be if you are homeless,i.e houston,austin,and dallas

Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 PM

808 posts, read 769,659 times
There was a great documentary about the homeless I saw a few years ago. They generally fell into three categories; 1) mentally ill 2) drug/alcohol problems 3) don't want to work. Not joking about #3. There was a good percent that simply didn't want any part of normal society and preferred living on the street.

I've always thought we should establish "homeless farms" around the country. Have areas where the homeless can go and live in a community, farm the land, build there homes, etc. Much like the Amish. This would be cost effective, and give them a sense of accomplishment and community. Although, if #1, 2, 3 above are true, then the homeless wouldn't go to these farms to live.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:50 PM

26 posts, read 49,273 times
Default question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplogan10000 View Post
texas is the best place to be if you are homeless,i.e houston,austin,and dallas
was wondering if u were homeless?
cause I just heard Houston has 8000 homeless plus 11000 homeless children plus up
to 5000 incarcerated each night due to homeless and basically 500 yes 500 units
to house these people?????????

cg

Old 09-20-2011, 09:46 PM

Default first of all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
There was a great documentary about the homeless I saw a few years ago. They generally fell into three categories; 1) mentally ill 2) drug/alcohol problems 3) don't want to work. Not joking about #3. There was a good percent that simply didn't want any part of normal society and preferred living on the street.

I've always thought we should establish "homeless farms" around the country. Have areas where the homeless can go and live in a community, farm the land, build there homes, etc. Much like the Amish. This would be cost effective, and give them a sense of accomplishment and community. Although, if #1, 2, 3 above are true, then the homeless wouldn't go to these farms to live.
can you get us the info on documentry? reason I say this is I really would like to see who did it.
people that are homeless are first off poor. Come out of terrible situations no middle upper class families to fall back on. No healthcare.
Imagine that, mental illness from there life of poverty,
probably had a job without healthcare or if they had it inadequate
probably didn't cover mental illness. Unfortunately they turn to alcohol and drugs to
self medicate. This country instead of having help centers on every corner does have alcohol and drugs on many many corners.
They all have worked (or most. talk to them) so that road brought them to where they are? Lets take McDonalds you got 1 real well off humanitarian that owns 5. restaurants employs 300 people without having to give them benefits. He's on the golf course while the poor that work for him are slipping away.
The 300 people are paying 20% taxes to to the government while he is raking in millions.
Guess what when those people end up say 2% of them having a mental break down
there is little help out there. (the owner that has been raping them sure ain't gonna help)
Why would they wanna even keep going down this road by working? this country offers nothing. Its sad.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:05 PM

Default Realize

We are ALL so close to being homeless
to those that think your not

all it takes is 1 bad health test
and everything you have could be. gone. ll

Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,378,103 times
Been going to San Fran for years now, and last month it was worse than ever.

Homeless people following others down the street unrelenting, screaming on the corners, one was pounding as hard as he could on the window of the diner we were trying to eat at. Then we walk outside and within a block two more came up to strangers, put their arms around them and babbled about money and who knows what - refusing to let go. Then at the end of the block there's a guy peeing all over the sidewalk right in front of us.

And this was a block away from Union Square at 10pm on a Friday night!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:20 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,332,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Been going to San Fran for years now, and last month it was worse than ever.

Homeless people following others down the street unrelenting, screaming on the corners, one was pounding as hard as he could on the window of the diner we were trying to eat at. Then we walk outside and within a block two more came up to strangers, put their arms around them and babbled about money and who knows what - refusing to let go. Then at the end of the block there's a guy peeing all over the sidewalk right in front of us.

And this was a block away from Union Square at 10pm on a Friday night!
This is very similar to mine and my wife's experience last fall. We stayed in a hotel that was pretty close to Union Square. We saw at least six homeless people peeing (two on our way to our hotel from the Bart station), lots and lots of yelling (most of the time at no one) and endless attempts for money. Some guy with a dog, and who looked plenty healthy, got mad because I wouldn't buy him a slice of pizza. I had to get aggressive with him for him to leave me be.

Portland has TONS of homeless, but they seem a bit different. As others have stated, it's like an alternative lifestyle with groups of young people hanging out in a park, doing drugs, etc. Many of them have dogs and they can also get aggressive.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,532,336 times
Some years back, the city of Burlington, VT (which you wouldn't ordinarily associate with a homeless problem, but guess what?) decided on a unique approach. The city offered homeless people a free airline ticket to anywhere in the United States, and it seems that practically all of them took advantage of the offer.

This tactic was later ruled illegal. I imagine cities in warmer climates were afraid of what might happen if other cities--like New York, Chicago, and Detroit, for example--decided to adopt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or