U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:42 PM

11,171 posts, read 22,361,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
This is very similar to mine and my wife's experience last fall. We stayed in a hotel that was pretty close to Union Square. We saw at least six homeless people peeing (two on our way to our hotel from the Bart station), lots and lots of yelling (most of the time at no one) and endless attempts for money. Some guy with a dog, and who looked plenty healthy, got mad because I wouldn't buy him a slice of pizza. I had to get aggressive with him for him to leave me be.

Portland has TONS of homeless, but they seem a bit different. As others have stated, it's like an alternative lifestyle with groups of young people hanging out in a park, doing drugs, etc. Many of them have dogs and they can also get aggressive.
Chicago has a lot of homeless too, but normally the most aggresive they get is repeating the same thing over and over asking for money as they sit on the ground or stand against a wall. They don't really zone in on your or get all personal. That's mostly downtown. In the north hoods they just kinda wander and mind their own business.

I just remembered another thing in San Fran. We were standing outside the Hilton, and within 3 days of being there and standing outside smoking, we saw three different people walk up to the tall receptacle for your butts, lift it up, flip it over dumping everything on the ground, sift through for butts, then wander away. Right in front of the lobby! We were shocked. They must do it 3-4 times a day if we happened to be right there for it each day. Talk about a mess. They really have no shame there, they're aggresive. I had one ask for my pizza as I was walking to the hotel with it one night. I said no and he got straight up offended and pissed off at me. WTF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 PM

32 posts, read 60,604 times
no way, I have lived in honolulu for the past 12 years and the govt doesn't do anything about the homeless except, shuffle them all around the island depending on where a certain political function is being held. And the cause of homelessness is this.
Census Bureau releases Hawaii report - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL Home

Old 10-06-2011, 02:37 AM

26 posts, read 49,246 times
Strange though I have been to San Fran twice, although it was 2003 and 2004 the last thing I saw were homeless, saw some but werent bothered by them. Although Im sure lately it has gotten worse.
But basically I believe alot of these people have just given up on this society, turned to alcohol, mainly cause its the cheapest legal drug out there, and now are in serious need of rehabbing there lives which aint gonna happen, cause they can't even
freaken find a bathroom they can use much less help find a program.
Now me personally, will buy them food if they want it cause atleast your helping another
human being EAT, but hey if your that broke then I guess your almost homeless yourself.
Of course that being said, when you all point out the rude homeless, how about giving
a shout out to the ones that are just sitting not bothering you, the thousands, of Americans, many thousands of which are children that are just trying to live and havent
had the luck of other Americans who have money?
Is it me or is there like this sense from us happy city data people that homeless are these
people that nobody likes or wants??
Would love to hear from the homeless and the ones who were just like the posters on this site that in a split second, they found themselves, out on the street, alone, hungry,
vulnerable thinking this would never happen to them.
Until we look at the homeless as the same as us, and dont group them differently and talk
about them like a disease, nothing will ever change and we all end up with the possiblility of being in that terrible place.
I know a homeless guy right near where I live, lives right near the highway underpass, in the woods right off the highway. Many times have given him a few bucks and talked with him, even see him in Dairy Queen reading a book, great guy actually, and very smart. Understands the world. Thankfully a couple of the people that live in my apt complex and me have got to know him more and more, even letting him stay with us if its nasty out, and I think the one guy is letting him work with him here and there so he gets some money.
I think there is alot to learn from people that are homeless, and now they are all of us, doctors, lawyers, teachers, if you dont believe it you better wake up seriously.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:27 PM

933 posts, read 1,714,048 times
If I were a homeless, I would be living in San Fran, due to the year round comfortable weather and the availability of random shelters.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 AM

18 posts, read 23,582 times
I wrote this in another thread, but I think I should ask it here, too. Which would be the best place to be homeless if you were to try to catch your own food by fishing? Would it be Seattle, San Diego, San Francisco, or some other option? I am not homeless, but I think I would prefer to live in California.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 874 times
Portland is very violent. The Oregon coast too cold. Try San Francisco or Berkeley.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 AM

1,008 posts, read 1,119,287 times
Any city where handouts are the norm. If its a blue collar working class small town fuggetaboutit.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
There was a great documentary about the homeless I saw a few years ago. They generally fell into three categories; 1) mentally ill 2) drug/alcohol problems 3) don't want to work. Not joking about #3. There was a good percent that simply didn't want any part of normal society and preferred living on the street.

I've always thought we should establish "homeless farms" around the country. Have areas where the homeless can go and live in a community, farm the land, build there homes, etc. Much like the Amish. This would be cost effective, and give them a sense of accomplishment and community. Although, if #1, 2, 3 above are true, then the homeless wouldn't go to these farms to live.
This is communism in a nutshell and actually works. Why we don't do this is a major flaw in America. We will not truly be a free nation until this is established and government run. Not privatized and government funded either, truly government owned and operated.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:36 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,911,740 times
San Fran has the strangest bums ever, its kinda sad how many they have. They are everywhere in super rich areas and in the worst areas, SF society and police view them as part of the culture which makes SF unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or