U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:35 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,336,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Haven't people noticed that only White southerns have that flag? I never have seen the Black southerns with this flag. Shouldn't this tell people something? Conferate flag=the history of slavery. The Confederate flag was used in the battlefield of the Civil War between the South and the North. The South wantedfor the slavery to continue, and the North wanted to end slavery. Thanks to the North that slavery is abolish. If the North would have lost the battle then for the activist to win their beliefs were going to be harder.

YouTube - Black Confederate

Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 AM

1,528 posts, read 5,712,645 times
No I think we should let people do whatever they want.
Racism is diminishing.
We have an (half) African American president, we have a Indian Governor(Louisiana), a Vietnamese Congress Man(Louisiana), we had 2 African American Sectary of States(I know Condi was from the South), we have a (half) Mexican as Governor (New Mexico...not the south though).
Texas, still being TECHNICALLY the south, is minority Majority.
Sure it represents all these "bad" things, but the people waving this flag arn't truly racist anymore.
Half of these people who wave the flag arn't even white. Its more of "in your face yankee's".
Every true Southerner, not looking at skin color, will bash the Northeast and comment on how much better the South is because of it's hospitality.

I really don't care.
Lighten up people, no one cares.
It's a superficial piece of cloth with funny designs on it. Sure it carried all these bad meanings.
and I believe the same with racial insults (they're superficial words that bother you ONLY IF YOU LET THEM, what significance does a series of intonations have on you? NOTHING...and Its been a while since I've posted, but I'm NOT white)
At the end of the day... YOU'RE OK! You're not short a drop of blood or even out of breath.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:05 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,936,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Agree. The Confederate flag is nothing more than a reminder of racism & ignorance. Those who cling to the Confederate flag are anti-America & don't belong in our nation.
The Ku Klux Klan carried a cross just as much as they carried the Confederate flag.
Should we get rid of all crosses also?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:52 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The Ku Klux Klan carried a cross just as much as they carried the Confederate flag.
Should we get rid of all crosses also?
It's not really the same though. The objection isn't just to the KKK using it. It's to the Confederacy's enslaving of African-Americans and that the "battle flag's" use largely relates to opposition to the civil rights movement.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
Quote:
Haven't people noticed that only White southerns have that flag? I never have seen the Black southerns with this flag. Shouldn't this tell people something? Conferate flag=the history of slavery. The Confederate flag was used in the battlefield of the Civil War between the South and the North. The South wantedfor the slavery to continue, and the North wanted to end slavery. Thanks to the North that slavery is abolish. If the North would have lost the battle then for the activist to win their beliefs were going to be harder.

You're entitled to your own perception of reality... but the issue here...

Who are YOU to dictate to someone else what the flag means to them?

Do you ask people who fly the flag: "why do you fly that flag?"
Or do you just go around assuming that you already know?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:40 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
Of course. Just like a previous poster said, it's a reminder of the Civil war. I don't see why they need their own flag. We're one country.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:42 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
States have their own flags though. We're a federalist country, not unitary.

It is interesting to me that a Texan would care though. They had their own flag as an independent nation. I think some even considered seceding from the Union, but not joining the Confederacy.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 AM

1,513 posts, read 2,925,542 times
All you people who say that the South went to war with US, you are dead wrong. Yes, the CSA fired the first shot in Fort Sumpter, but that was only because the Yankee destroyer was heading into SC's sovereign waters. The CSA had no intention of going to war with the US, all they wanted was peaceful independence, unfortunately, "Honest Abe," couldn't stand the idea of a state not wanting to be abused and used by Northerners.

I support the Confederate Flags, especially the Battle Flag, it represents one's drive to stand up against tyranny, and take their own future into their hands.

The North has taken advantage of the South for far too long now. The South was completely destroyed be vicious Yankee invaders, and has never really recovered. Until about 1960 the area was ignored, and let go downhill.

I'm not some person who lived in the backwoods of Mississippi my whole life, I was born in Canada, and lived in New York or New Jersey the rest of the time. I have never lived in the South. I am just sick of the unfounded and wrong beliefs about the "Civil War," and the South.

Quote:
I think some even considered seceding from the Union, but not joining the Confederacy.
Texas was part of the Confederacy, they did indeed succeed.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:18 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,250,583 times
Quote:
Haven't people noticed that only White southerns have that flag?
No. I've seen it everywhere, so it's not just "White southerns". And I probably saw it more often living in CT and NY than I ever have here in NC.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:27 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,881,518 times
Quote:
I think that the South should get rid of their Confederate flag and just adapt to the U.S. flag. I mean the South is part of the United States so I do not know why they still show their pride and hang their confederate flag in front of their houses.

What do you think?
I have never hung a confederate flag anywhere. I think your post and idea is very hateful to the pride we have in our ancestors and their defense of states rights. We lost states rights. At least let us keep our pride in our ancestors. Why do you hate our ancestors so much? I think they were better than your ancestors. If our ancestors had been more aggressive and violent, we would have won the war, according to our history teachers. I think the Northern people are still mean and aggressive, otherwise they would leave us alone and let us live as we choose to live and stop telling us what we should do all the time. MYOB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.