Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 02:46 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,427,439 times

Advertisements

when no city is perfect, and a number of them are decent?

How do you narrow it down if you simply cant afford to visit them all before you move?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 03:14 PM

24 posts, read 108,033 times
I don't want to generalize, but this is the same problem I'm having right now. Especially when you know what you want, and you don't know what to sacrifice in order to enjoy another want.

If it's a win-win situation between 2 places, flip a coin. But I have more than 2 places I'm considering.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:17 PM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
This math formula:

number of skyscrapers * number or rivers * number of urban sidwalks * number of museums * (height of tallest skyscraper - avg. number of bricks per house)
cost of ice cream cones * cost of bus fare * metro population * number of hipsters * number of dog walkers * (number mcdonalds - number of burger kings) * number of regional foods unique to the metro area * number of people who think I will be cool if I live there * number of rowhouses

Works every time

Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,337,451 times
I'd imagine picking a city now is much easier than in the Oregon Trail days, when you just packed up the wagon and headed West.

You can research everything about a city now: it's weather, crime, humidity, racial makeup, and even tour the streets with Google Street View.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I'd imagine picking a city now is much easier than in the Oregon Trail days, when you just packed up the wagon and headed West.

You can research everything about a city now: it's weather, crime, humidity, racial makeup, and even tour the streets with Google Street View.
Yes but unfortunately you cannot completely research the personality traits of the place and mainly its population. You can to an extent, but its only once you move there do you really see what is what.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:43 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,888,818 times
If you have it narrowed down to just a few, it's pretty simple:
1. Visit each place.
2. Pick hotels in a residential areas and talk to some locals.
3. Choose the place where you feel like you'll fit in best.
4. *If relevant, factor in the job situation.*

If you have more than a few options, it gets harder, because you obviously can't visit all of them. That's where I'm stuck right now - I have a huge list, but have a hard time narrowing it down, because I just have so many questions that I can't get a good enough feel for each place.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:57 AM

146 posts, read 507,371 times
I make a list of all the things I like. For instance my list is

1. What is the cities population
2. How big is the skyline & how nice is it in the day & at night
3. Does the city have a subway or light-rail system
4. Does the city have mountains, lake, river or is it by the ocean
5. Does the city have a sports team definitely some I like
6. Does the city have a good mall or galleria multi-level mall
7. Does the city have good museums or theaters
8. What are some of the main attractions of the city
9. Does the city get snow
10. Is the area around the city scenic
11. Does the city have good hospitals
12. Does the city have good schools or Universities

A lot of times you have to give up some things to get others but what would you be willing to give up.

Like I love Texas but think If I moved to Dallas I would get little snow, no Mountains, no ocean, hospitals are ok but everything else is great or what about Houston it is close to the ocean, has everything but mountains, snow well what about Denver which has mountains but no ocean or Seattle that has just about everything for me but palm trees but then I come up to: Do I really want to move away from Texas LOL I think I could but for now no.

Just make a list of things you want, it helps

Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,545,088 times
Pick a place to live based on the factors you most enjoy and want.
For me:
1. Ability to get around without a car. Although I have one, I don't want to be a slave to it and would prefer it last awhile.
2. Affordability. There are a lot of decent places so I went after one that was less expensive.
3. Desirable neighborhoods. I have three dogs. I will always have dogs. So I wanted a place with at least a small yard and dog friendly.
4. Location. Do you want to be somewhat close to family/friends? Also, are there interesting things available to where you would relocate. (access to water; biking, mountains, etc.)
5. Good transit connections to other cities. I didn't want to have to drive to other places if possible.
6. Weather. I am not an all-year round heat person. That eliminated quite a few.
7. Most important (especially now)-Job potential
8. Livability: I love NYC (probably my favorite). But for full-time. No way. It's just too many people for me. I need to get away from that every now and then.

Other factors to me aren't as important like skyscrapers, museums, etc. All cities have them and if not, it's a reason to travel.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,170,108 times
Pick the city with sweet, beautiful single women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.