First place I lived in was not the US...so that's out.
Moreno Valley, CA:
1. Great scenery (Mountains ring the city, and it's surrounding by state parks/reserves on three sides)
2. Literally in the center of SoCal (1hr beaches, 1 hr. to the mountains, 1hr to the desert...okay not with traffic, but on average).
3. Wide open spaces (at least when I grew up it was in transition between a SoCal farm town and a suburb).
4. Friendly people (still a lot of "down home" attitude with old timers).
5. Ethnically diverse (considered one of the most diverse cities of its size in the nation).
Isla Vista, CA
1. Party town USA (Huge Halloween party...about 20,000 people come to town to party...in effect doubling the population).
2. Scenery (the ocean and the mountains)
3. Walkable community
4. Super friendly people (it's a college town.)
5. Lots of culture (very boheme).
Yorba Linda, CA
1. Super safe (one of the safest in US)
2. Close to most things (LA is about 40 miles away, the beach is only 15 miles or so)
3. Nice small town feel.
4. Again very pretty (it's California...it's a pretty state).
5. I don't have kids...but my nephew is important to me so...great schools.