Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:46 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The ones that most stood out were the L.A. kyopos (korean-americans). From L.A., they just tended to be thugs and wanted to fight all of the time. They were the ones easiest and quickest to recognize. They also had a ton of racial hangups. Whenever I've met Asian-Americans from the other areas, they were always really cool, but had to watch your back around L.A. ones. I always like NY-Asian Americans the best, by far, now that I think about it.
I wonder if the LA riots, and their legacy, relates to that.

That's an element of the riots I found strange at the time. White cops get off for beating a black man so they go attack Koreans and mess up their own neighborhoods? The rioters also beat up some white truck-drivers, but truck drivers had nothing to do with anything. At the time I was almost like "why aren't they going to a richer white part of town and stealing their stuff?" (Granted a few did I think) I mean that'd be wrong too, but it'd have fit the vengeance/rage-against-the-system thing better. Sigh, but that's too political.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 12:16 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
I think Asian/Asian Americans are probably stereotyped more often than any other group. People tend to assume that they don't want to speak or understand English, won't fight back or argue, not friendly, disassimilate, etc. It's unfortunate that many dismiss Asians/Asian Americans... . There was an incident that happened to me a few months ago that was very disappointing. I shouldn't have been surprised, but i only experienced things like that back when my family first emigrated to the U.S, thus somewhat surprising.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:36 PM

106 posts, read 235,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazsGirl View Post
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
From k-12 I had all white friends, and it just seems in college (this one anyway) people approach me less or are much less likely to befriend me. I honestly don't feel connected with anything but American culture or Western in general, I'm sure some people would like to say thats some kinda of betrayal to my own culture. But may I ask what defines a person? Is it my face? Is it because I look Asian and my family is Asian that I MUST like it more than the place I'm actually from?
I think I had a similar experience as a student at University of Illinois. I grew up in a smaller area, with a much more integrated population. As such, growing up I had a number of white friends, a couple chinese and black friends, 1 thai friend, and a few but not many indian ones (which I am).

UI is similar to Purdue in that most of the students come from the Chicago area. I found that at UI, people really tended to stick with their own races much more so than happened at my high school. I guess for the kids that grew up in areas with larger ethnic populations, people tend to segregate more and develop into more homogenous subcultures.

Anyway, I don't think it changed a lot in college nor do I have great advice. I made some close friends which was enough to start with, and branched out from there. I suppose that you could go out to california to connect with your subculture if that interests you. that doesn't really help with integration, but it may give you a greater feeling of acceptance.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 AM

21 posts, read 86,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_holt View Post
Anyway, I don't think it changed a lot in college nor do I have great advice. I made some close friends which was enough to start with, and branched out from there. I suppose that you could go out to california to connect with your subculture if that interests you. that doesn't really help with integration, but it may give you a greater feeling of acceptance.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that was what I was trying to avoid, I wasn't trying to be around people who merely "look like me." That was the intent of the OP, I was unsure why some people won't even give people of Asian descent from the US a chance.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
I think Asian/Asian Americans are probably stereotyped more often than any other group. People tend to assume that they don't want to speak or understand English, won't fight back or argue, not friendly, disassimilate, etc. It's unfortunate that many dismiss Asians/Asian Americans... . There was an incident that happened to me a few months ago that was very disappointing. I shouldn't have been surprised, but i only experienced things like that back when my family first emigrated to the U.S, thus somewhat surprising.

I agree, but it really doesn't help that any Asians I've ever know do tend to keep to themselves, except a few mixed kids. Do you mind sharing the incident on the forum or messaging me? If not, I understand too.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 AM

106 posts, read 235,776 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but that was what I was trying to avoid, I wasn't trying to be around people who merely "look like me." That was the intent of the OP, I was unsure why some people won't even give people of Asian descent from the US a chance.
Yes, I agree with you. I was trying to politefully disagree with the other posters suggestion that you try out CA. I don't think that's a very good suggestion myself since it really didn't appear that you wanted to stick with your own.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Maybe that would be one reason TO try California; while there are plenty of Asian kids in California who "keep to themselves," you might enjoy living somewhere where it is extremely diverse and where people don't necessarily fall into friendship groups strictly along ethnic lines.

I agree that there's no reason for you to be around people who "look like you," but I'm sort of getting the vibe (and this may be completely wrong - it's one of the hazards of an online forum) that you are actively not wanting to be around people because they look like you. If that were the case, wouldn't it be equally wrong to not want to be friends, or at least get to know, someone just because they look a certain way? If that is the case (and agian, maybe it's not) then perhaps you're sending out close-minded vibes that are turning off potential non-Asian friends? I don't expect my friends to have other friends simply because of their race, but I personally wouldn't be drawn to people who avoided making friends because of race or appearance. (and probably the non-Asian people who don't mind it if their friends have that attitude are also the ones who themselves stick to "their own kind" and therefore wouldn't approach you, anyway) That's why I earlier wondered whether you were giving other Asian people a chance - not because you should because of their appearance, but because it would be hypocritical to expect others to extend that basic courtesy to you while simultaneously making assumptions about others on that exact criteria.

That's one other benefit of somewhere like California or somewhere else with both a large Asian population (along with people of all other ethnicities) - it's quite vivid proof that there is no "one" Asian personality.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:18 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
I can usual tell by their English accent and skills. But even that , its not always accurate. For example, the ones that been living in Asian enclaves(Chinatown, Little India) most of their lives tend to have an accent like they are FOBs, despite them being in America for years or born here.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I agree that there's no reason for you to be around people who "look like you," but I'm sort of getting the vibe (and this may be completely wrong - it's one of the hazards of an online forum) that you are actively not wanting to be around people because they look like you. If that were the case, wouldn't it be equally wrong to not want to be friends, or at least get to know, someone just because they look a certain way? If that is the case (and agian, maybe it's not) then perhaps you're sending out close-minded vibes that are turning off potential non-Asian friends? I don't expect my friends to have other friends simply because of their race, but I personally wouldn't be drawn to people who avoided making friends because of race or appearance. (and probably the non-Asian people who don't mind it if their friends have that attitude are also the ones who themselves stick to "their own kind" and therefore wouldn't approach you, anyway) That's why I earlier wondered whether you were giving other Asian people a chance - not because you should because of their appearance, but because it would be hypocritical to expect others to extend that basic courtesy to you while simultaneously making assumptions about others on that exact criteria.
I must agree it does seem like I'm somehow against the Asians but that really wasnt my intent. I was trying to get an insight on what it is that people judge others by. I don't wish to appear naive, I know racisim exisits for whatever reason. I just feel that since I was raised just as American as anyone else, why its still hard for people to judge me fairly. Since I haven't lived anywhere else apart from Indiana, I really hope that when I do get to live elsewhere people are a bit more open minded.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Quote:
I must agree it does seem like I'm somehow against the Asians but that really wasnt my intent. I was trying to get an insight on what it is that people judge others by. I don't wish to appear naive, I know racisim exisits for whatever reason. I just feel that since I was raised just as American as anyone else, why its still hard for people to judge me fairly. Since I haven't lived anywhere else apart from Indiana, I really hope that when I do get to live elsewhere people are a bit more open minded.
Ah ha.

Figuring out why some people are racist is hopeless, really. Some judge by how people dress, how they act, etc. Some judge due to historical half-truths, and some simply because they're different looking.

Ever make a trip up to Chicago? I think people are a bit less judgmental there against asians in particular. On the west coast where I live, people really could not care any less what you are, so long as you do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.