Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:01 PM

138 posts, read 510,862 times

Advertisements

My ex husband was chinese american.He, as well as his mother and father were born and raised in California.I too was born and raised there.I had a few experiences with him where people would ask him if he spoke english. But we never had any problems with our being a couple.
I have two children from that marraige and they are now older,12 and 16. We moved to upstate New York late last year and things are culturally very different here.My kids are considered Chinese here becasue they have a somewhat asian look. And I find myself doing a double take when I see an Asian person in any of the small towns we live around because it is now so unusual .I miss the cultural diversity of california and the freeflow of cultures intermigling.
My Children have always had friends who are a widely mixed group,Black,phillipino,korean,japanese,Many races combined. In fact they have cousins who are mixed black/white,phillipino/white. But here people really seem to stay in ethnic groups. I am more surprised when my kids have they're friends over and they are all white. We went to a 4th of July Picnic for a local town and my son remarked how white the whole event was.I do not think this ever was remarked on at home.The racial makeup of any event was never anything we would have noticed.
So my point is that I agree with post that stated the west coast has alot more integration and less paying attention to someones ethnicity before deciding to get to know them. I see it a alot more here.It never really became an issue of much thought until I moved here and then My kids noticing it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
^^ that's because you're in upstate NY. you might as well move to Idaho

Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 PM

21 posts, read 86,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Ah ha.

Ever make a trip up to Chicago? I think people are a bit less judgmental there against asians in particular. On the west coast where I live, people really could not care any less what you are, so long as you do it.

I have been to chicago a bunch, I definatly feel more comfortable in a bigger city. But thats not everyday life for me, I'm still stuck in a small midwestern town.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:53 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazsGirl View Post
Hey everyone, I've just always wanted to know if people can tell which Asians are from America and which ones are FOB (fresh off the boat).

I'm just curious since I'm from Indiana, and I feel like I dress differently from Asians who werent born here (international students, etc), and was wondering if the way you dress and your actions make you American or if it doesnt matter because my face is still Asian and will always be lumped into a group.

Please dont be mean and say things like "all Asians look alike."
I have known a couple of Asian acquaintances who have asked if I can tell the difference between Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc..

No, I can't actually. There's nothing wrong with that either. Just like Asians can't tell the difference between Europeans, Latinos, and Africans. Just the way it is.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:21 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
^^ that's because you're in upstate NY. you might as well move to Idaho
Hey....It's not that bad and it depends on where in Upstate NY you are.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:23 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilover70 View Post
My ex husband was chinese american.He, as well as his mother and father were born and raised in California.I too was born and raised there.I had a few experiences with him where people would ask him if he spoke english. But we never had any problems with our being a couple.
I have two children from that marraige and they are now older,12 and 16. We moved to upstate New York late last year and things are culturally very different here.My kids are considered Chinese here becasue they have a somewhat asian look. And I find myself doing a double take when I see an Asian person in any of the small towns we live around because it is now so unusual .I miss the cultural diversity of california and the freeflow of cultures intermigling.
My Children have always had friends who are a widely mixed group,Black,phillipino,korean,japanese,Many races combined. In fact they have cousins who are mixed black/white,phillipino/white. But here people really seem to stay in ethnic groups. I am more surprised when my kids have they're friends over and they are all white. We went to a 4th of July Picnic for a local town and my son remarked how white the whole event was.I do not think this ever was remarked on at home.The racial makeup of any event was never anything we would have noticed.
So my point is that I agree with post that stated the west coast has alot more integration and less paying attention to someones ethnicity before deciding to get to know them. I see it a alot more here.It never really became an issue of much thought until I moved here and then My kids noticing it too.
I think that has more to do with the town. There are other towns close by that are more diverse like Newburgh, Middletown, Goshen, Highland Falls(next to West Point), Pine Bush and even Chester and Port Jervis.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazsGirl View Post
Hey everyone, I've just always wanted to know if people can tell which Asians are from America and which ones are FOB (fresh off the boat).

I'm just curious since I'm from Indiana, and I feel like I dress differently from Asians who werent born here (international students, etc), and was wondering if the way you dress and your actions make you American or if it doesnt matter because my face is still Asian and will always be lumped into a group.

Please dont be mean and say things like "all Asians look alike."
i think it's easy to have a skewed perception because of the demographics. these 'fobs' don't represent the general populace even in asia, especially if we're talking about a certain generation. international students are usually more studious and only represent a certain portion of society. even today, if you go to most prestigious college campuses, most students style will be more pragmatic and tame.

when i was in asia, especially in the larger cities, most asians especially the younger generation were very fashionable. to compare some stereotype of the acne-faced, glasses wearing nerd as the icon of a fob is a bit misleading, again because we're talking about just a more serious group of people, usually.

another thing i noticed is asians had much better skin than asian-americans and also better body proportion. but, asian-americans may assume as well as others that because of the few pimple-faced, non makeup wearing students that they come across, most fobs are indicative of the rest of the population in asia or subcultures.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
I am part Chinese, but born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. My father was born in Arkansas, from an immigrant family directly from China (his older brother and sister were born in a small Chinese village near hong Kong). That said, I can occasionally tell if someone is from out of country, but oftentimes, they will retain the accents and mannerisms of asian culture, even if they werent born outside the Us, because their parents WERE. Its kind of interesting how this occurs.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:04 PM

214 posts, read 1,005,275 times
I was born and raised in Manila in the Philippines, came here for graduate school. I'm now living in NYC. I also have relatives who grew up in the area, so I know first hand that there are obvious differences in how I grew up compared to relatives. I do know a lot of Filipinos from high school and college who are also here in the NYC area as young professionals, most NOT in health care (nursing, pharmacy, etc). A lot seem to be VERY well educated also (going to elite schools for grad school and MBA). It may be different in other parts of the US, but that's what I generally find around NYC.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Socio-economics often prevail

US-born Asians whose parents are professionals, e.g., US grad school-educated software engineers, tend to look/behave differently from US-born kids of less well-educated parents who might be small business owners

Similarly, US-born Asian kids who are themselves highly educated professionals tend to be rather different in attire/manner/accent/speech from US-born Asians who didn't attend a leading college and/or are blue-collar or clerical workers

Much like Jewish kids from more elite NYC suburbs like Greenwich or Scarsdale (or Manhattan itself) tend to have zero NYC/Northeast accent (and different attire/manner) vs Jewish kids from less well-educated, though affluent, LI/NJ suburbs or outer boroughs of NYC
Obviously you have never lived in any of the cities where there are large populations of Asians. There you have Asian Policemen, Postal Employees, Bus Drivers etc. Just like every other culture, they are not all "Highly educated" or any other steriotype.

For the most part Children educated inb the US lack the accent and pronounce L and R like whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.