U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:10 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,118,897 times

Advertisements

If you're serious about all four seasons, note that winters are going to be significantly cooler that what you're used to. I can remember catching an episode of Ground Force that filmed in the US, where they described Atlanta as a place that had cold winters, and most Americans find the winter weather there to be relatively mild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 12:18 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,289,187 times
Raleigh/Durham, NC and Austin, TX are two IT hotspots outside of CA which more-or-less meet your criteria, at least form what I've hear. havn't been to either on in decades.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:50 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,228,564 times
I live in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon, and I can get PG Tips and Murrough's Welsh Brew tea at my local market. Between that and the weather, you'll feel right at home!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:01 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,930,790 times
Parkers,

Honestly this would describe most cities in the US...there are generally IT jobs available in most metro areas, although you will see a little higher concentration in many of the cities listed above.

I do echo trying out Pittsburgh though. When I lived there I knew a few British expats who lived there and enjoyed it immensely, plus it meets all your criteria, but honestly most of the cities above do just fine as well.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:04 PM

9,859 posts, read 21,155,925 times
Denver or Colorado Springs

Old 06-25-2009, 06:03 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,451,105 times
I would suggest the larger pacific northwesst cities. Maybe even Minneapolis and Chicago.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 PM

711 posts, read 1,870,911 times
If you are looking for a majority white suburb, you could live near probably any major city - they all have them. And if you are looking for a majority white suburb, why are you so concerned about the crime in the city? Crime in *most* major cities are concentrated to areas that you won't spend much if any time in. I live in the city of St. Louis that gets a total bum rap for crime, but there's not a street in my neighborhood I wouldn't walk on at 2 in the morning.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,583,215 times
eh.. I'd live in a suburb of Chi/Bos/NYC/Seattle ...

what you are looking for can be found there, but it might not be found in the statistics...

Old 06-27-2009, 08:14 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,837,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
You've heard correct. Madison (as with most of the upper midwest) often keeps their winter weather throughout much of spring. Last year there was snow on the ground until May. It happens.

You could try Seattle...it is pricier than the midwest, but not too unreasonable. You could definitely find a house for under $350k. And the salaries tend to be pretty high.

Maybe somewhere in the research triangle of NC (Raleigh, Durham, etc.).

If you're willing to overlook the four seasons thing, you could try Austin, TX. That would be affordable and would fit most of your criteria.
I wasn't in Madison last year, but I'd be amazed if they had snow on the ground in May. Here in Minneapolis, we typically have snow until mid-March, with spotty snow cover from mid-March to early April (snow falls, followed by melting a day or two later). Maybe once a decade we'll get a freak bout of snow flurries in May, but it melts as soon as it touches the ground!

The Upper Midwest gets "extreme" winter weather in January and February, but its not like its always sub-zero--those would be cold spells, which are usually followed by warm spells (it often gets into the 30s and 40s and sometimes even the 50s in Feb). Its very rare to have extreme cold in the spring. However, its true that by the time March rolls around, people are sick of winter!

I lived in Madison for almost four years--its a great medium sized city, close to Milwaukee and Chicago, and very cosmopolitan for its size, due to the influence of a huge university. Minneapolis would be worth considering (its like a very large Madison, with similarities being the lakes, a progressive-bent, good quality education, relatively low crime, and a generally affluent population). Also worth considering would be: Ann Arbor Mich, Denver/Boulder, Pittsburgh and Austin TX. You could also look into the DC suburbs of Northern VA, they seem to have lots of IT, but its quite expensive to live there.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:00 PM

289 posts, read 913,409 times
try, out boston. Its the best fit! Low cost, not som much but if you choose a flat in southie youll definetely make your requirements. Boston was just recently named the second safest city in the US, and i think its one of the smartest cities. Syracuse is a nice place but its always cloudy, not different from england i guess, as i lived in London for 2 years. Boston, is perfect for you, its by far the city with the most history in the US and its the most "Europeanized" city. I hope you choose Boston, my hometown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.