U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,594,675 times

Advertisements

The Redwood Country in general has a Northwestern feeling (the Sierras is more a Colorado-like feeling), but I think north of Redding and Eureka/Arcata, it feels similar to southern Oregon and not like California anymore.

I would say around 40.5 N.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:35 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,403,441 times
Well, you answered your own question. I will agree that points north of Redding feel NW. The great thing about CA is that each section of it has its own vibe.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:36 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,282,184 times
Just north of crescent City

Old 06-24-2009, 09:55 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,883,916 times
I'd say, on the coast, south of Humboldt is where it starts feeling like California. Inland, Redding is TOTALLY Californian feeling. Around Mount Shasta is where it feels more like the PNW. Between the two it feels more Californian because it's drier and more barren than, say, Southern Oregon.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:08 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,824,145 times
Having made the I-5 trip between CA and WA many a time, I can say that there is one point going northbound that you really feel the change. It is about five miles north of Redding when you start climbing into the lower Siskiyou mountains. A definite NW vibe here, and then you pass Mt. Shasta, and enter into another reminder of CA, before climbing back up to the Siskiyou summit at the OR border.

I can remember trips from the NW into Redding (not necessarily in summer) where you would leave with 52 degrees and drizzle and by the time you reached Redding it was sunny and above 90. Such is life in those parts.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:33 AM

32,320 posts, read 55,123,408 times
Along the Coast, Id say around Mendocino.

Inland, Id say around Redding. But its weird cause I-5 north of Shasta Lake seems pretty barren for a little stretch before the Oregon Border.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:41 AM

6 posts, read 13,758 times
Having made the drive from Portland to the SF Bay Area many times, I would say the point where it starts feeling like "California" is just north of Redding when you drop down into the central valley. On the coast I would say the "California" feel starts at the border because in Oregon all beaches are free and open to the public. This is not the case in California. For those of you that say norcal can be a bit barren, this is true, but it also gets much drier and more "barren" looking south of Grants Pass. At least compared to the Willamette Valley.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 AM

15,453 posts, read 25,397,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORECoast View Post
Having made the drive from Portland to the SF Bay Area many times, I would say the point where it starts feeling like "California" is just north of Redding when you drop down into the central valley. On the coast I would say the "California" feel starts at the border because in Oregon all beaches are free and open to the public. This is not the case in California. For those of you that say norcal can be a bit barren, this is true, but it also gets much drier and more "barren" looking south of Grants Pass. At least compared to the Willamette Valley.
What beaches cost money and/or closed to the public in CA? I am not aware of any beaches that cost money or any private beaches in CA. The CA Coastal Act pretty much prevents that and keeps the coastline accessible to everyone.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,282,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What beaches cost money and/or closed to the public in CA? I am not aware of any beaches that cost money or any private beaches in CA. The CA Coastal Act pretty much prevents that and keeps the coastline accessible to everyone.
I'm sure the poster was thinking of some of the coastal parks, like Redwood NP, Sonoma Coast SP, Point Reyes NS, Ano Nuevo NR, and others, which often do charge for entry. But then that's not really THE BEACH your paying to use, so much as the park itself. Even then, there is always a 'free' beach nearby if you're too cheap to support the park system.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,397,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I'm sure the poster was thinking of some of the coastal parks, like Redwood NP, Sonoma Coast SP, Point Reyes NS, Ano Nuevo NR, and others, which often do charge for entry. But then that's not really THE BEACH your paying to use, so much as the park itself. Even then, there is always a 'free' beach nearby if you're too cheap to support the park system.
Do they charge you when you just DRIVE and PARK into the park or just for general admission to use it? I go to Torrey Pines State Beach sometimes but I never pay. I just park on the street and walk to the beach. And I could technically do the same and walk up to the state park above on the bluffs too w/o paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or