U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 20,699 times

Advertisements

I am from the UK and was just wondering what you meant when you said "CA went in the crapper". I have read other posts on this forum about how awful California is. However over here California is showcased as the best place in the world to live with safe neighborhoods, good schools and lots of jobs. I just want to know what happened, I know the recession has effected CA a lot but surely this is not the only factor to contribute in making California a bad place to live. Can someone please explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 03:41 PM

83 posts, read 249,068 times
Chloe,

I have lived in London and Edinburgh, and currently live in NYC. You will get some really broad, odd and generalized advice on these boards - take none of it as gospel (including mine). I do think I have a faint clue of what you are yearning for, though, and would be more than happy to give you my advice.

If you want an experience similar to London, only NYC will really suffice. If you want to really live something quintessentially American, I would go to San Diego. Of all my expat friends living in the US, the ones that went to the San Diego area seem to like their "American experience" the best.

You are used to London prices - nothing in America is quite as expensive (at least in 2007), and few places are in the same league. If you ask me - go West, and skip the pasty hordes of Midlands tourists who settle in Florida. Nothing will give a young person "good memories" like a few fun years in the Southern California sun, and San Diego is the best of that experience.

Avoid the Midwest and the deep South like the plague - I can think of no place less appealing for a 20yo Londoner, unless they are researching a thesis about social malaise.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:59 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,961,450 times
Why not hop over the river to NJ where it isn't as busy, and where it's cheaper.

Jersey City, Hoboken, and Bayonne are all great places if you want to make frequent trips into NYC, and they're perfect if you want to work in NYC.

These places are cheaper than NYC but they're not cheap places to live, especially Hoboken and Parts of Jersey City (Bayonne is a pretty decent place to buy/rent, good investment)
If you decide Jersey City then remember to stay away from the Greenville section and the Bergen-Lafeyette section... Jersey City Heights, Journal Square, and Jersey Cities Downtown section are your best bets for JC.

Rutgers University of Newark, New York University and, New Jersey City University are all right in the vicinity.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:51 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox2000 View Post
I'd look for a small city in a warm place that is growing, is reasonably white, is not too isolated or far from the mountains or beach. These are as rare as hen's teeth, since CA went in the crapper.
Because "white people" make things soooo much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkers233 View Post
I am from the UK and was just wondering what you meant when you said "CA went in the crapper". I have read other posts on this forum about how awful California is. However over here California is showcased as the best place in the world to live with safe neighborhoods, good schools and lots of jobs. I just want to know what happened, I know the recession has effected CA a lot but surely this is not the only factor to contribute in making California a bad place to live. Can someone please explain?
There are those that believe CA hasn't retained its iconic CA image over the years. These people believe CA is too overrun with gangs, illegal immigrants (they like to call them third-world people) and crime. In their vision of the "old CA", everybody was white, everybody lived in a ranch house in the suburbs with an orange tree and a two car garage. Dad worked, mom stayed home, and there was ample money for vacations and weekend activities. The beaches were clean, nearby, and there was no traffic. Think 1950's American TV.

CA is not how I described above, but was at one time, in fact, many of the more affluent suburbs can still identify with the above description.

Most CA neighborhoods are safe, but definitely not all of them, IMO many CA'ians put too much emphasis put on crime and fear of crime.

I am a product of the CA school system (graduated 2001), and I thought it was challenging; I've turned out well IMO.

CA has lots of jobs, but there are more people than jobs right now. CA took far too much advantage of the sub-prime loan market, and is now paying the price. There were those that expected homes to continue to appreciate at a rate of 10% annually. There were those in the home-building industry that believed they could continue expanding outward from core cities, even when gas was $4/gallon (there are people in metro Los Angeles that commute 50+ miles one-way). Many jobs in real estate and construction have been lost due to the market correction.

Basically, the core of CA "going to the crapper" lies within people's minds (many of whom probably identify with a conservative ideology). CA taxes are high (sales, income), and CA doles out a lot in social services. Some illegal or recent immigrants take advantage of these social services (education, health care, welfare, food stamps) and some people currently unhappy with CA may place the blame on the immigrants (legal or illegal).

Also, CA has changed demographically (racially/ethnically) over the years, and many cities and towns might not look how they did 20-30 years ago, leading some people to be disenfranchised with the cultural change.

I don't think CA is a bad place to live, if one can afford to live there. I grew up there and was ready to leave, I didn't want to pay (too much) for something I didn't want. I wanted four seasons, which much of urban CA doesn't provide. The traffic can be a trial as well, so that was another factor in my decision. So I moved to Colorado, and am now in Washington state and have been happy in both of my new home states.

Would I go back to CA? Probably not, but I don't fault people for wanting to live there, I just like to let them know they will have to pay a lot in living costs and will have to deal with atrocious traffic and mild weather. Some think it's worth it, whereas I do not.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:10 PM

12 posts, read 27,961 times
I am sooooo tired of people endlessly bashing the South, using the same old stereotypes from Gone With the Wind and old news clips of lynchings and desegregation protests. Yes, the South is a bit poorer than the rest of the US, but it's catching up, some areas faster than others. There is a higher crime rate, but if you stay out of bad neighborhoods you will be fine. Outside of the major cities, things are a bit slower paced, and the educational system definitely needs some work, but it's not exactly the hell on earth that it is described as. The South has some of the most vibrant cities in the world, in my opinion. Dallas, Houston, Austin, Atlanta, Charlotte, even Memphis all have something to offer. And I don't think anyone's ever accused New Orleans of not being open-minded (it has one of the premier gay-pride festivals in the US). I am an openly gay, college educated young male and I have lived in the South all my life, much of it in the rural South. I have never been attacked for being gay, people don't knock on my door inviting me to church, and I don't even own a gun, nor do the vast majority of my friends and associates.

I'm not saying the South is the greatest place in the world, but it's certainly not the worst. I just wish people would stop bashing it using old stereotypes that are largely untrue in the last twenty years. Besides, the South has perhaps the most distinctive culture and sense of place of any region in the US. Personally, I would rather live somewhere with such a feeling of pride in itself, rather than some bland, ugly midwestern city, or some grimy post-industrial wasteland city in the Northeast.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,546,883 times
I also prefer the South to Midwest in general, and prefer cities like Dallas to cities like Buffalo. But I believe many Midwesterners will jump out to tell you they are not bland. They have this, they have that, blah blah..., and Notheasterners will be angry and point out they are not grimy as well. Just like your reactions, nowadays you are not allowed to have any stereotype (or should I say, negative comments) on anywhere or any particular group of people, otherwise you will be bashed hard. I guess on a forum, the best way not to attract attack is never say something negative about other areas and always use mild words. After all it is all relative, right?

In general, the cities of the South resembles Europe less than the Northeast. That's all I can say and I guess everybody would agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcope001 View Post
I am sooooo tired of people endlessly bashing the South, using the same old stereotypes from Gone With the Wind and old news clips of lynchings and desegregation protests. Yes, the South is a bit poorer than the rest of the US, but it's catching up, some areas faster than others. There is a higher crime rate, but if you stay out of bad neighborhoods you will be fine. Outside of the major cities, things are a bit slower paced, and the educational system definitely needs some work, but it's not exactly the hell on earth that it is described as. The South has some of the most vibrant cities in the world, in my opinion. Dallas, Houston, Austin, Atlanta, Charlotte, even Memphis all have something to offer. And I don't think anyone's ever accused New Orleans of not being open-minded (it has one of the premier gay-pride festivals in the US). I am an openly gay, college educated young male and I have lived in the South all my life, much of it in the rural South. I have never been attacked for being gay, people don't knock on my door inviting me to church, and I don't even own a gun, nor do the vast majority of my friends and associates.

I'm not saying the South is the greatest place in the world, but it's certainly not the worst. I just wish people would stop bashing it using old stereotypes that are largely untrue in the last twenty years. Besides, the South has perhaps the most distinctive culture and sense of place of any region in the US. Personally, I would rather live somewhere with such a feeling of pride in itself, rather than some bland, ugly midwestern city, or some grimy post-industrial wasteland city in the Northeast.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 685 times
Oh yes don't forget the Racism here in the good ol' US. For us Londoners, it can be quite overbearing. The south is probably the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or