U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,541 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've been reading everybodys comments about New York and its left me feeling rather confused! lol. Obviously I cant base my decision on people's opinions, but it's lovely to hear people's advice and experiences.I am 20 years old, moving to american with my partner from London. America is somewhere we have both always wanted to move too, we are currently saving money and planning our move. The only trouble is, we don't know where!Now I have to be completly honest and say I fell in love with New York due to Friends!! lol. My Dad went and said I may not like New York because it's very busy and crammed. I don't really like extremley busy places because i've had an anxiety disorder for a few years now and I tend to feel better in more spacious surroundings!!So can anyone give me any advice about where is nice to move to??I went to California last year and although it is absolutly beautiful, I am not sure I want to move there.I've had thoughts of maybe somewhere outside NY, like Rhode Island, or Boston. Then I've thought about Michigan, Buffalo, Connecticut etc. If anybody can give me any advice about where is a beautiful place to go which will create fun and memories? I'd love to hear people's views. Thanks so much everybodyChloe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,855,939 times
If you will miss the London weather, then Seattle, WA or Portland, OR would be the places. They have the closest climate to London. Moderately large cities, but not too crowded.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:16 PM

7,152 posts, read 9,939,119 times
Smile Welcome to the USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeLondon89 View Post
Hi everyone, I've been reading everybodys comments about New York and its left me feeling rather confused! lol. Obviously I cant base my decision on people's opinions, but it's lovely to hear people's advice and experiences.I am 20 years old, moving to american with my partner from London. America is somewhere we have both always wanted to move too, we are currently saving money and planning our move. The only trouble is, we don't know where!Now I have to be completly honest and say I fell in love with New York due to Friends!! lol. My Dad went and said I may not like New York because it's very busy and crammed. I don't really like extremley busy places because i've had an anxiety disorder for a few years now and I tend to feel better in more spacious surroundings!!So can anyone give me any advice about where is nice to move to??I went to California last year and although it is absolutly beautiful, I am not sure I want to move there.I've had thoughts of maybe somewhere outside NY, like Rhode Island, or Boston. Then I've thought about Michigan, Buffalo, Connecticut etc. If anybody can give me any advice about where is a beautiful place to go which will create fun and memories? I'd love to hear people's views. Thanks so much everybodyChloe
Hello Chloe!

You said you are not sure about moving to California. Why?

I mention this first because all the other places you mention Michigan, Buffalo, Connecticut, NYC, Boston, Rhode Island etc. are probably COLDER in the winter than what you are used to in London. If this is not a factor (or if you actually like snow!) than IMHO you should keep looking at these places --- maybe you will find these places a bit more familar to you than perhaps California.

You also mentioned that your father thinks NYC is too busy. However both NYC and Boston have residential areas which are less busy (and will remind you of residential areas of London) or you could even look at some of the denser suburbs of NYC, Boston, Philadelphia etc.

Finally if you cannot still cannot find anything --- do not forget to check out Chicago or even the Pacific Northwest cities like Seattle! I have the feeling you would love Seattle or Portland and may even become a permanent resident of the USA!

Good luck to you both where ever you decide!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,344,772 times
Boston is a great city! I am from the deep south and have travelled to Boston several times. It's really the only city I felt at home in in New England, and the people are great. There is a rich sense of history, and an accepting personality to the city. Loved the experience of it, and hope you would too.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 PM

22,289 posts, read 23,777,350 times
What's your skills? What do you like to do? What do you dislike? We can help you narrow it down better if you give us more info.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:50 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,813,172 times
So, America is a huge place and very diverse, so you'd have to narrow down some of your criterion.

If you do not like crammed in places, then that doesn't necessarily mean you can't live in NYC or other really dense areas. It just means you can't live in those dense areas. Check out the suburbs of cities ... unlike Europe, the suburbs are, typically, more affluent than the cities. There's always exceptions of course but that is a general trend. What I have heard, it's the opposite in Europe - cities are well-off and suburbs are poorer.

If you want a smaller city with some feel of a big city, check out Chicago and Seattle, WA. As noted above, Seattle's climate is very similar to London's. You will actually find a large UK expatriate population in either city if you want friends to keep a common connection.

Another thing to consider is whether you will want a car. Very few American cities can truly pull off not having a car. NYC, Boston, Seattle, Chicago, LA, San Fran, to name a few. Phoenix, on the other hand, ... don't even bother. St. Louis too.

Also, if anxiety is an issue, I would consider the West Coast or the South. People in the Midwest and on the North East coasts are very hard driving and work themselves to death. Will be nice for service, but if you will work in the US, you'll experience that too. Again, Seattle is pretty laid back (OK outright lazy in some cases), and LA has a definite ... vibe ... to it.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:40 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,721,515 times
lol... yeah about Michigan.
That place is going down the tubes... I go up there a lot, and my father is from there (Plus I still have family).
Its a really beautiful place, but the economy isn't doing too hot.
No offense, but you probably arn't used to the Heat of the Southern States. Because it gets HOT down here.
It depends on what type of setting you are looking for.
Maybe you might like Seattle, although its sort of Rainy...nothing someone from London shouldn't be used to.
New York is very crammed, but it depends on what you want...
Some description please?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 PM

26,192 posts, read 28,601,425 times
I just wanted to say that living in New York is a completely different animal than what you see on TV shows like Friends. In real life, the characters on Friends would Never have been able to afford the apartment they shared.

New York is great if you have a huge income and don't mind living in a small space. For people of average means, though, it can be frustrating and stressful. (Actually, that's true to some degree for the well off as well).

Old 06-25-2009, 10:34 PM

26,192 posts, read 28,601,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
If you want a smaller city with some feel of a big city, check out Chicago and Seattle, WA. As noted above, Seattle's climate is very similar to London's. You will actually find a large UK expatriate population in either city if you want friends to keep a common connection.

Another thing to consider is whether you will want a car. Very few American cities can truly pull off not having a car. NYC, Boston, Seattle, Chicago, LA, San Fran, to name a few. Phoenix, on the other hand, ... don't even bother. St. Louis too.

Also, if anxiety is an issue, I would consider the West Coast or the South. People in the Midwest and on the North East coasts are very hard driving and work themselves to death. Will be nice for service, but if you will work in the US, you'll experience that too. Again, Seattle is pretty laid back (OK outright lazy in some cases), and LA has a definite ... vibe ... to it.
Chicago has almost 3 million people (8 million in the metro area, I think). I wouldn't call that small.

I agree with most of the cities on your list where you could get by without a car...but LA??? I don't think it's realistic to say you can live in LA without a car.

You are right about the Midwest & East being hard driving. However, I would say the San Francisco Bay Area is also pretty hard driving. It's not New York. But there are plenty of people here whose lives revolve around their jobs.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:08 AM

61 posts, read 63,428 times
The US has much more extreme weather than Europe. Most places are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The East coast is subject to violent thunder storms, the North snow storms, the central states tornadoes, the Southeast hurricanes and the West fires and mudslides. The Northwest is just plain dreary. Only California has truly great weather but it's been pretty much destroyed.

Racially, regions are very different. The North is white, outside of the large cities. The South is half black. The West is half Hispanic. Generally, the cities are majority nonwhite but the suburbs and small towns are still majority white.

Economically, some places are declining and some are growing. Basically, people are leaving the cold areas for the warm ones.

Your best course is probably to do what an American would do when looking for a place to relocate. North Carolina has been the hot destination for the past 10 yrs. Nevada has been the Western state which has been the fastest growing but has been hit very hard by the depression.

The biggest cities are quite similar and the suburbs are nearly identical everywhere. Rural areas and very small towns all have the same "redneck" culture--Jesus, country music and Nascar.

I'd look for a small city in a warm place that is growing, is reasonably white, is not too isolated or far from the mountains or beach. These are as rare as hen's teeth, since CA went in the crapper. I keep coming back to Greenville South Carolina, figuratively, that is. A lot of European companies have located there. They must know something. Might be a bit boring for a young person tho. But I'm sure the Euro families that have been transferred there have enjoyed the nice weather, friendly people, nearby mountains and great beaches not too far away.

Last edited by greyfox2000; 06-26-2009 at 01:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or