U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:43 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,321,169 times

Advertisements

Strongly Midland (91% IIRC). Interesting result since I have influences over the course of my life from Texas, DC, South of England, and I'm now living in Delaware (other places I've lived haven't been influential enough to count in this regard). As far as I can tell from the way most people in DE speak, this means my accent should be congruent with theirs. However, accent is a little more than the type of vowel pronunciations that this quiz tries to assess. There are subtleties it can't catch and there's also syllable stress and other aspects of speech pattern. So I don't really buy the quiz as valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 PM

117 posts, read 265,187 times
Your Result: The Inland North
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

*I do call carbonated drinks pop!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,756,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
Your Result: The Inland North
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

*I do call carbonated drinks pop!
I used to live in the UP of MI. There they say pop. I say soda.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,016,400 times
Same as Michael 8225 (above). When I grew up in NYC I said soda; now I say "pop" except when I go to NY.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,094,209 times
Well lets just say that survey couldn't be more accurate for me....

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:45 PM

580 posts, read 296,639 times
Mine is the West, which is about 90-95% Midlands.

Never caught onto the Texas drawl (I live just outside DFW, and there is a good number of people from my town with a distinct twang).
I was raised saying "pop" for a carbonated beverage, since my parents are from the Midwest, but now I just say "soft drink" or "soda". I refuse to call my beloved Dr. Pepper a "Coke".

Old 08-11-2009, 02:52 AM

4,467 posts, read 8,439,424 times
North Eastern.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 AM

20,849 posts, read 35,958,846 times
"NORTH CENTRAL"

People often think I am from MN or Canada.

This test is extremely accurate.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:27 PM

165 posts, read 420,594 times
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: Philadelphia
Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.
Result Breakdown:
100% Philadelphia
90% The Midland
81% The South
78% The Inland North
73% The Northeast
25% Boston
25% The West
8% North Central
Quiz URL: What American accent do you have?

I was born and raised in northern New Jersey. I have relatives in South Jersey and Baltimore, but they haven't influenced my accent much, and most of them are transplants anyway. I think it's my pronunciation of "whoreible" that twisted the results, plus the fact that I never know how to answer the "Mary-merry-marry" question in these tests.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,141,183 times
My observation is that people with various "Northern" accents (and a few of the more "popular" and traditional East of the Mississippi "Southern" ones) tend to be accurately classified. But with anything else, it seems to fail. I have a "traditional" accent common in the SW US. Firstly the test does not even seem to "understand" the existence of that category. Secondly, when I took it although it seemed to recognize some of the individual elements in my accent when the moment of truth came it failed to "add them up" correctly. Seems like some sort of "logic error" in the test, likely due to ignorance by whoever wrote the test regarding the various different "Western" accents that exist (and there are probably 4 or 5 different "Western" accents, not only the transplant mish mash one they have).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.