U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:58 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,177,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Result Breakdown:
95% The Midland
88% The West
69% Boston
66% North Central
41% The Inland North
35% The South
33% Philadelphia
27% The Northeast

Like Widowmaker, I was surprised I didn't get "the West," because like WM, I too was raised in a small town in Northern California, from parents who were raised in Oregon. I think there may be a connection between rural Northern California and the Midlands.
No, the test simply does not work well for us Westerners. Whoever wrote it is ignorant of the different accents in places like Wyoming vs Washington vs Arizona among natives. What it calls the "Western" accent is actually a transplant accent or a mish mash of transplant accents. Listen to a cowboy or a miner to get the real accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 04:25 PM

253 posts, read 851,675 times
I definitely have a "Boston" accent according to this quiz. I am told I sound 1/2 Chicago and 1/2 Boston.

Last edited by BB_206; 08-11-2009 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: messed up

Old 08-11-2009, 04:35 PM

18,659 posts, read 27,113,557 times
This is a funny thread to me. I'm originally from Texas but grew up in a military town so I never had the typical Texan or Southern accent. Dialect yes, accent no. But this is what I got.

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

The Midland
The Inland North
The Northeast
The South
Boston
The West
North Central

I got Philadelphia. I don't know how. Now I live in the DC area and been here since 2005 and my co-workers tell me that I'm starting to sound like everyday and I just about lost any resemblance of a Texas accent and I can hear that in myself too. But Philly? I don't even think DC people sound like people Philly. Or maybe I'm wrong. Hell, the south didn't even come 2nd or 3rd for me lol.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,759,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Same as Michael 8225 (above). When I grew up in NYC I said soda; now I say "pop" except when I go to NY.
When in Rome do as the Romans do, eh?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 PM

96 posts, read 212,283 times
Midland it is! Great quiz!

Old 08-19-2009, 03:12 PM

167 posts, read 381,597 times
I have a question for southerners or new yorkers. when you talk to other southerners or new yorkers does it sound like regular english to you or a specific dialect? when I moved to TX from CA everyone told I talked with an accent but when I went back to CA it felt like everyone talked like me

Old 08-19-2009, 08:12 PM

20,868 posts, read 36,017,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western87 View Post
I have a question for southerners or new yorkers. when you talk to other southerners or new yorkers does it sound like regular english to you or a specific dialect? when I moved to TX from CA everyone told I talked with an accent but when I went back to CA it felt like everyone talked like me
It might be the stereotypically "valley" CA accent. I recognize it.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:11 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,759,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western87 View Post
I think people in CA talk with a lot less of an accent as people in TX do. Most Texans have a southern accent but most Californians seem to talk with a pretty neutral accent. After living in MI for a few years when I came back to TX I thought people in TX had a pretty big southern accent. I was used to hearing people from MI and WI. They have an accent there as well but it sounds different than a southern accent. After living in TX for a while I didn't hear the TX accent any more. Your ear gets used to the sound.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,597,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Take the quiz that tells you which American accent you have

What American accent do you have?

Does it match where you were raised?

------------My result-------------

(copy and paste the BBCode)

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.
Result Breakdown:
100% The West
95% The Midland
63% Boston
59% North Central
42% The South
19% The Inland North
13% Philadelphia
9% The Northeast
Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz
According to Wikipedia: Northeast Pennsylvania English.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,050,903 times
Your Result: The Northeast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.