U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:26 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,873,289 times

Advertisements

I came out 'northeast' too but am from Chicago (although my family is from the northeast).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:30 PM

21,219 posts, read 5,635,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I came out 'northeast' too but am from Chicago (although my family is from the northeast).
I never considered Chicago as part of the Mid-West. It seems to "Eastener" (if there is such a word) to me.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,925,646 times
What American accent do you have?Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
The South

Philadelphia

The Inland North

The Northeast

The West

Boston

North Central

For the record, I'm from Atlanta and I think I have a mild Southern accent.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,996,915 times
The Midland, followed by the South. But I was raised in Calif and now live in Oregon.

Funny thing this here, is that all my life people have asked me ~ often ~ if I was from New York or, at least, somewhere back east. Still not sure what they detect in my speech. However, my parents were immigrants from Europe, and I think my "accent" is actually THEIR European-English mix that I picked up.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 PM

42,677 posts, read 44,339,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Take the quiz that tells you which American accent you have

What American accent do you have?

Does it match where you were raised?

------------My result-------------

(copy and paste the BBCode)

Your Result: The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.
Result Breakdown:
100% The West
95% The Midland
63% Boston
59% North Central
42% The South
19% The Inland North
13% Philadelphia
9% The Northeast
Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz
Ok i have a Philly accent! which i already knew! You go to another state they try to figure where your from?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,160,725 times
Southern but only just. I was on the fence on a couple of them, when I retook it and swung the other way on those, I came out Midland. Of course, for both, Southern dominated.

I am a native of Northern California.

Honestly, I think that the overlap between what they call midland (which includes some very borderline Appalachian places according to their schema), and southern is fairly significant. Also, what they call West is not the true native Western accent, which is actually a bit southern (it's a drawl for cryin' out loud). What they call West is just the nothing accent of kids of transplants and of military brats.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:40 PM

48,276 posts, read 45,557,145 times
My results came out as Inland North.

It makes some sense. Some people say I sound like someone from the North.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM

20,861 posts, read 35,992,597 times
Here are my results.

"What American accent do you have?

Your Result: North Central
"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot."

Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,224,186 times
Your Result: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

The West
The Midland
Boston
The Inland North
The South
Philadelphia
The Northeast

I'm actually from Toronto Canada.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,114,362 times
Your Result: The Midland

83% The Midland
80% Philadelphia
70% The Northeast
64% The South
48% Boston
45% The Inland North
32% The West
2% North Central

I was born and raised in NYC (and lived in Maryland for 1 year) there is no way I have a midland accent. My friends used to make fun of me saying that I sounded Southern. I live in a predominantly black neighborhood and a lot people speak with a NYC/Southern combination and so do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.