Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 PM

322 posts, read 797,455 times

Advertisements

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

i dont get how some people can pronounce "horrible" like "hah-rih-bull"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 02:36 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,039,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
It's pretty easy actually. That is how my mom and grandfather said it, and I say it that way too. No biggie.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:10 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,547,449 times
I'd rather hear horrible prounced hah-rih-bull than listen to some valley girl accent.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,997,783 times
It says I have a Philadelphia accent, but my family spent only two years in South Jersey when I was a toddler. My father's from Pittsburgh with a Welsh mother, and my mother grew up in North Jersey with Ohioan parents. I grew up in North Jersey. How does all that add up to a Philadelphia accent?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:18 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,760,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Take the quiz that tells you which American accent you have

What American accent do you have?

Does it match where you were raised?

------------My result-------------

(copy and paste the BBCode)

Your Result: The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.
Result Breakdown:
100% The West
95% The Midland
63% Boston
59% North Central
42% The South
19% The Inland North
13% Philadelphia
9% The Northeast
Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz
I took the test, didn't get to see full results though I think southern was highlighted. Very interesting test, never took one before.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 PM

^
Went back to see my results, even more interesting after I think about it because I don't indentify myself as having a southern accent at all, neither does anyone else I've came across. How accurate have others seen this test.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:25 PM

Your Result: The South
That's a Southern accent you've got there. You may love it, you may hate it, you may swear you don't have it, but whatever the case, we can hear it.
Result Breakdown:
84% The South
78% The Northeast
70% The Inland North
63% Philadelphia
47% The Midland
8% The West
0% North Central
0% Boston
Quiz URL: http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_america...nt_do_you_have

Michigan resident

Old 06-25-2009, 07:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,352,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post

This is false. I can ALWAYS pick out a West Coast accent (or "occent," as they say).

Old 06-25-2009, 07:58 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,352,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Your Result: The South
That's a Southern accent you've got there. You may love it, you may hate it, you may swear you don't have it, but whatever the case, we can hear it.
Result Breakdown:
84% The South
78% The Northeast
70% The Inland North
63% Philadelphia
47% The Midland
8% The West
0% North Central
0% Boston
Quiz URL: What American accent do you have?

Michigan resident
Are you originally from Michigan?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Are you originally from Michigan?
Ofcourse, I was born and raised in Michigan my entire life. My dad is from the Chicago area and my mom is from Missouri. Though I do not have a southern accent at all, maybe a few words I pronounce with an accent. Though when ever someone would guess where I'm from it was never the south, more so Michigan or out west... actually maybe a few out of the country ( well I sorta could tell thats what they wanted to ask/ come across).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.