U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 PM
 
26,125 posts, read 28,521,132 times
Reputation: 24826

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Take the quiz that tells you which American accent you have

What American accent do you have?

Does it match where you were raised?

------------My result-------------

(copy and paste the BBCode)

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.
Result Breakdown:
100% The West
95% The Midland
63% Boston
59% North Central
42% The South
19% The Inland North
13% Philadelphia
9% The Northeast
Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz
They had me pegged as being from Philadelphia, which was true. Although I do believe I have dropped the worst aspects of that accent. Most people in the San Francisco Bay Area where I live often think I was born and raised in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,836 posts, read 19,579,871 times
Reputation: 4435
a bit Chicago/south side of Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,334 posts, read 17,106,902 times
Reputation: 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

i dont get how some people can pronounce "horrible" like "hah-rih-bull"
That's exactly how I say horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Bangor Maine
3,442 posts, read 5,613,751 times
Reputation: 3980
Mine came out 100% Boston which I kind of expected. I grew up 18 miles west of Boston and have lived most of my adult life in Maine. However, when I visit relatives in MA they do have a bit different accent than I have now. I have picked up some of the downeast slant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 AM
 
322 posts, read 704,877 times
Reputation: 171
1 out of 10 Americans is a Californian.... that's why our "accent" is more or less considered "standard" on that list ( yes yes go on about how the great plains people speak or something) even though it is easy to pick out

whoever made the results was probably a Californian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 12:55 PM
 
9,519 posts, read 13,457,526 times
Reputation: 5695
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Take the quiz that tells you which American accent you have

What American accent do you have?

Does it match where you were raised?

------------My result-------------

(copy and paste the BBCode)

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.
Result Breakdown:
100% The West
95% The Midland
63% Boston
59% North Central
42% The South
19% The Inland North
13% Philadelphia
9% The Northeast
Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz
This is wrong...b/c New Yorkers have a very distinct accent that is like no other! The Northeast is not representative of a New York accent...or should I say "New Yawk accent"- the way we "tawk"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 PM
 
9,519 posts, read 13,457,526 times
Reputation: 5695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That's exactly how I say horrible.
I say it like that too...NY thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,246,890 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I say it like that too...NY thing

same here. I cringe when I hear someone pronounce it "h-oor-ible"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 01:44 PM
 
322 posts, read 704,877 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
same here. I cringe when I hear someone pronounce it "h-oor-ible"
lol rachael...youre too cute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,334 posts, read 17,106,902 times
Reputation: 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
same here. I cringe when I hear someone pronounce it "h-oor-ible"
Me too, that whole pronunciation scheme drives me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top