U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience in both?

Actually thinking of a condensed walkable area with high Asian populations. Most of the San Gabriel Valley seems to be more suburban and spread out in nature, and very car-oriented.

Are there certain parts that aren't? Like Alhambra, from what I hear? Anywhere else? How is Monterey Park?

Additionally, I couldn't afford San Francisco itself, but for high asian neighborhoods, are there places in the Bay Area that might be better and possibly be condensed and somewhat walkable as well? This would include Oakland California, as I heard they have a pretty good chinatown there now.

How would someone compare to Honolulu as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 10:38 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,410,475 times
Alhambra is pretty walkable. There are still a lot of cars, but there is a main street and a lot of nice walkable neighborhoods. Some parts are nice than others. I haven't spent much time in Monterey Park, but it feels less pedestrian-friendly.

Don't automatically discount all areas of SF out of hand; while it probably is going to be more expensive inside city limits, you might, depending on budget, get a good deal. The Richmond (that's the part of the city of SF, not the city of Richmond) has a very high Asian population, especially the Inner Richmond. I think people call it the "new chinatown." The main commercial strip along Clement is filled with Chinese (and some Vietnamese, Burmese, Thai, etc.) restaurants and stores. It's extremely walkable, near Golden Gate Park, the Presidio, has good bus connections to downtown, is pretty safe, and is cheaper than many SF neighborhoods. The Sunset is cheaper still, but it's quieter and, to me, anyway, is more boring. (same thing with the Outer Richmond) Inner Sunset has more going on.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:14 AM

1,528 posts, read 5,712,157 times
Well by nature your wishes are going to be hard to meet.

The only place I'm drawin is Chinatown San Fran and NYC.
Maybe Seattle?
By Nature the asian population doesn't have a huge amount of money to blow on being in some nice urban location, they settle somewhere convenient and relatively cheap. The businesses start to cluster and then you have an Asian town born.
NONE of the Asian enclaves here in Dallas are very walkable.
So your match will be sort of hard to find.
Now I don't know the other areas as much, but what I understand Seattle Asian District is near Downtown. That may be what your looking for...?

Maybe Washington DC? But it's not strongly Asian... and Chicago too? also not that Asian... depending on where you are.

edit Pics of the ID (International District) or Chinatown...whatever its basically an Asian enclave belonging to all ethnic groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or