U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,991,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
Orlando, FL:

Roads are in decent shape, street signs are clearly marked
Reasonable cost of living
Attractive neighborhoods near downtown and in Winter Park
Close enogh to both coasts for a day trip

Dislikes:
Way too spread out
Very dangerous drivers
newscasters that sound like gleeful robots
Obnoxious, tacky, loud commercials
Summer lasts way too long (April-Sept.)
Doesn't everywhere have those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 05:43 PM

70 posts, read 87,019 times
Orange County, CA

LIKE:
1. Love the proximity to Los Angeles(45 minutes), San Diego(2 hours), and San Francisco(6-7 hours to get there).
2. The Beaches are awesome no matter what.
3. The community colleges are incredible here and give many opportunities to transfer to other universities and much more
4. The fact that I could eat Vietnamese, Mexican, Middle-eastern food and the diversity of people living here
5. The mountains and the parks.

Dislike:
1. TRAFFIC/PUBLIC TRANSIT: There is always traffic here day and night. People don't know how to drive at all and are always in an hurry to get anywhere. Gets annoying to have to drive everywhere too and being stuck in a motor vehicle ; Public transit is a freaking joke which takes forever to get around here since it only has buses ,unreliable, bus drivers are not helpful, and are too crowded to be in at times.
2. The urban sprawl,, too many chain restaurants, too many uninteresting strip malls that are full of crap that people don't need, the fact that it is too spread out and makes the area not friendly for pedestrians at all which makes it a huge boring suburban wasteland.
3. Rude, condescending, materialistic, superficial, greedy, grumpy, individuals who like to vent at anybody for no apparent reason, customer service is abysmal and everybody here seems to be stressed out,uptight,serious and angry majority of the time.
4. The Weather gets on my nerves here as it is way too hot for my taste. I like to see a change of seasons here and there but having the heat for too long makes me want to go to stay home. It explains the pollution and smog in the air which causes people to develop asthma here.
5. Overpriced and over hyped for a small region; The rent is over the rooftop which explains the people attitudes here, job market is not that great right now, everything from food, clothing, theme parks, parking, cost of living keeps rising up, people here work at least two jobs to make ends meet, homeless population seems to be increasing here, too many people here, Nightlife is the worst and everything seems to close down here way too early.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,235,627 times
Cincinnati

2. Skyline (the actual skyline, that is) is beautiful, especially at night and when viewed from Kentucky.
3. Character of old architecture in many neighborhoods
4. Many suburban areas have character, at least in their central business districts (i.e.: Ft. Thomas, Mariemont, Indian Hill, Lebanon, etc.)
5. Some pretty good places for pizza here, i.e.: Buona Vita, Adriatico's, Pasquales, etc.

Dislikes:
1. For "Midwestern hospitality," many people are actually pretty rude and surly here. (There are plenty of nice folks, don't get me wrong, but the jerks and douches are fairly easy to notice.)
2. People here aren't exactly, uhm, very intelligent as well as civic-minded.
3. Cincinnati is, for the most part, a dirty, graffiti-ridden or depressing city...or all of the above.
4. The riverfront is disconnected from downtown. Poor urban planning, in my opinion.
5. Terrible rush hour traffic for a city its size.

All in all, I've been content here. But I'm ready to move on. I actually live in N. KY, and immediately across the river from Cincy no less, and travel over to Cincy proper quite often. My personal quality of life at least is better than it was in the Louisville and Lexington areas of KY where I have lived previously.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 12-15-2010 at 06:10 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 02:31 PM

6,489 posts, read 16,169,219 times
Jersey City

Walkability and transit
Close to NYC, shore, mountains
Liberty State Park
Diversity of people (and reflected in businesses and restaurants)

Dislikes:
Sky high property taxes with no end to hikes in sight (up 85% in 5 years)
Shamelessly corrupt local government
Poor planning in recent years (widening downtown streets, tax abatements, crappy streetscape "facelifts")
Although we have the #1 high school in the state, it's a magnet school. Most kids go to terrible schools.
Crime is going up again.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:26 AM

13 posts, read 11,339 times
New Britain, CT: LIKE - 1) -some of- the Individual Police Officers 2) The Roly Poly Deli on Main Street 3) "Stanley Tools", their unique history with the town; and that this internationally known firm is WORLD HQTED -HERE- 4) The lovely reservoir, and the "countryside" surrounding the body of water. 5) The citizens who HOMESTEAD in the town, generally are EXCEPTIONALLY SWEET.

DISLIKE; 1) Chief of Police Dept. be -for the better- to put his person back into the rank and file and REPICK. I have a -good and legitament reason for this- [Their IS NO, "forgiving"]. 2) The Town head Librarian, -same story- "must go out of position/ and be replaced" 3) I -WOULD NOT- replace the PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR/ but.... he HAS NOT done a keen job of it. I would "work with" a 'Emeretis' and try to "salvage" what can with the sitting Director and bring a bit different focus to TOWN YARD. 4) "Problem" I am seeing with "utter vulgarity in public domain". I see a need to 'mend' an inner circle in order to deal with this "alarmingly building Nucience" 5) Public Rest Room Accomodations are inadequate in the DOWNTOWN.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:31 AM

548 posts, read 656,086 times
Cincinnati:

1) Dense, historic built environment that is incredibly walkable. Over-the-Rhine is a world class gem of a neighborhood.
2) Progressive environmentally friendly policies making Cincy one of the greenest cities in the country (largest city on earth using 100% renewable energy, all city employees use hybrid car sharing, Metro's aggressive use of biodiesel and hybrid busses, rebuilding all Cincinnati Public School building following LEED principles.)
3) the Reds. I couldn't have cared less about baseball until I moved to Cincy. The energy of Opening Day is effervescent.
4) Culture. Bockfest, Saengerfest, May Festival, etc. The people of this city take pride is their German-American roots.
5) the Arts. Music Hall is an iconic temple to music. Our Symphony, Pops, May Festival Chorus, Opera, And Ballet are all top notch. The hills also inspire many artists to paint...just wander the Pendleton Arts Center to see what I mean.
6) Kentucky. Sorry,I had to extend the list to give a shout out to Northern Kentucky. A lot of border cities have a very noticeable change in vibrancy from one side of the river to the other. Not in Cincy. NKY keeps packing a punch and offering a healthy rivalry.

Dislikes:
1) our reputation. People still think Cincinnati and Cleveland are the same place. They couldn't be more different.
2) the city-suburb divide. It's worse here than most places. I don't even think we understand each other.
3) our local media. OMFG...I don't think they hire any actual journalists, let alone editors. I'll never forget the time the Enquirer spelled Cincinnati wrong in a headline. Look up the recent Enquirer article called "Where do Mayoral candidates stand on the Streetcar?" I dare you.
4) divisiveness. One of our strengths is having so many different distinct neighborhoods, but the hills keep these neighborhoods from mingling. As a result, many often feel like they're living in a small town instead of a big city.
5) lack of suburban transit. Our transit systems are great in the city and Northern Kentucky, but if you live in the Ohio suburbs, you're completely out of luck. Metro is funded entirely by the city, so until Hamilton County decides to offer a share, I don't see that changing.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,517,541 times
Orange County, CA
I felt my city was too small to do 5 reasons for both.

1. Ethnic diversity.
2. Gorgeous beaches.
3. Good shopping.
4. Lots of entertainment (Disneyland, Knott's, etc.) and close to LA, San Diego, beaches, and mountains.
5. Well paved and funded road system.

Dislike

1. Sprawl.
2. Stagnant weather; while sunny and warm may seem nice at first, it gets old quick.
3. Car dependency, and smog caused by this.
4. Too many chains, not enough independent owners.
5. Snobby and overly competitive people.
And everything else really.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 PM

444 posts, read 456,059 times
Tampa

Like:

1. Generally laid back vibe
2. Lush, green tropical landscape
3. COL is generally cheap
4. Good local craft beer community
5. Proximity to some of the country's best beaches

Dislike:

1. Uneducated, ignorant natives and moronic cheerleaders with hidden agendas
2. Stupid drivers
3. Insurance costs are out of control
4. I'd kill for a hill, or some decent elevation changes throughout the landscape
5. For far too long, the area has been built on endless sprawl without a focus on the city's core. That's starting to change, though, with Mayor Buckhorn.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:55 PM

89 posts, read 137,310 times
New York City

1. Public transportation is great. You can get around town without the need of a vehicle.

2. The people. I've met some of my favorite people in New York, and I like the general attitude that many people have. It's hard to describe, but it's definitely not as passive aggressive as the west coast.

3. Great food. And at fairly reasonable prices, if you look hard enough. New York has just about every kind of food you can think of.

4. The variety of things to do. I was bored to tears when I lived in several other places, but in New York there is never a lack of things to do. Even when you think you've done everything, new things pop up. Lots of free/cheap activities also.

5. Convenience. Many stores are open very late or 24/7, which appeals to a night lover such as myself. It's nice to be able to hang out with people very late at night, or be able to pick up groceries whenever you feel like it. You are never hampered by closing times.

Dislikes:

1. Tourists. I know...I know, it's been played out so much, but tourists annoy the hell out of me. Every place I have lived, they have annoyed me. Or at least the obnoxious, obvious tourists that do absolutely nothing to try to blend in, or be subtle. They always stand in the way, blocking the sidewalk, or complain about the city endlessly. Just shut up, go home and quit hogging up all the space.

2. Expensive. Another stereotype about New York, but very true. It wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be, but it's still prohibitive to many people.

3. Dirtyness. Many areas of the city are very old and worn down, and it's definitely not as clean or new as many other cities.

4. Homeless. A problem in every major city, but I get hassled at least five times a day by the homeless. Annoying, but a normal part of city life.

5. Ghetto/gangster wannabes. The only specific type of person I don't really like in New York are all the thug-type kids, and the adults who don't want to grow up but live the "thug life". Again, common in big cities, but most noticeable in New York.

New York is honestly my favorite city I have lived in, so finding the dislikes was a lot harder than my likes. I also like the weather, since it's not as hot in the summer as Southern California, but not as cold in the winter as Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or