U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:14 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,685,170 times

Advertisements

Perth, Australia

2. Lots of sunny, blue skies
3. Relatively uncrowded roads
4. Year-round great dog beaches
5. Variety of fresh fish

Dislikes:
1. Isolation, distance from rest of the world
2. High cost of living
3. Violence
4. Vandalism, graffiti
5. Loud car engines, idiot drivers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 04:34 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,788,165 times
Seattle, Washington State

1) Gorgeous natural scenery ... beaches, city built on 7 hills, lakes, two mountain ranges, a few major mountains, and forests abound make this area an outdoorsman's mecca.
2) Laid back, balance of life with work. Sure some are just plain lazy but most people don't kill themselves for work.
3) Innovation ... Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon.com, multiple health care companies, biotech, and consumer staples like Starbucks originated here. Quite a feat for such a "small" city & metro area.
4) The coffee. Not from starbucks mind you, but the smaller places. And the beer. Oooh, the best beer in the USA that I've had.
5) Cultural, music, and artistic festivals occur every day here. Again pretty impressive for a small city.

Dislikes:
1) Inept city government. We're at risk of having Boeing move out of the area with the airplane manufacturing and we're busy taxing plastic shopping bags. *rrrrrrrrrrrr*!
2) The "rain" season. It rains constantly for about 7 months here. And it isn't pleasant ... it's a mist. There isn't even any real thunderstorms here, just a constant mist for 7 months with some snow mixed in at times.
3) The roads. My God! Ruts! I expect this in rural China, NOT the the USA! This has been improving though.
4) Cost of living. Average home price is over $300k here. For a shack basically. It comes with the turf of being "square middle class" earning 77k a year. At least the quality of the produce is excellent for the price, and there's any ethnicity for food you can think of here.
5) For me personally ... isolation from the roots. I grew up in Chicago, and St. Louis was bad enough living there, but in Seattle ... I've made friends and all, but the rest are 2000 miles away.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 PM

113 posts, read 495,735 times
Los Angeles, CA

Diversity of people, food, and culture and shows / concerts
Temperate weather for the most part
Tons of shopping from farmers markets, to ghetto flea markets to boutiques
SC, UCLA, Pro Sports
Car Culture

Dislikes:

Traffic
Smog
Cost of Living
Sales Tax
Tickets to stuff sell out in minutes

Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 PM

243 posts, read 396,607 times
Millville Nj

I can't really find anything ok one of my favorite Chinese restaurants are near my house

Dislikes
1. Boring here nothing fun to do here no night life our mall is boring.
2. Housing & Apartments are expensive here over $800 dollars for a 1 bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood
3. Drug Dealers are taking over
4.Corrupt politics and police
5. Old Run down Buildings,Houses Schools are old they promise to build a new school every so often.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:29 AM

895 posts, read 1,330,132 times
This is an older thread but it's a great concept! I like the pros and cons aspect - what five things do you like/dislike about your city?

Need more people to weigh in on this - see representation from small and large cities all over the US.

I may repost this as there are so many people asking "what is a good fit for me? what is the best place to live in (fill in the state)? Where should i relocate? where should i retire? "

Short and concise - i'm short / seldom concise but now, to the drawing board and some posts on some places i have lived. hope others weigh in!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:08 AM

3,798 posts, read 8,165,159 times
Minneapolis

1. The 10 + Lakes and the bike paths throughout the city
2. Music/Arts scene
3. The Mississippi River
4. The quality of life - sophistication, education, cleanliness and affordability (C.O.L)
5. Four Major Sport teams -Twins, TWolves, Vikes, and Wild (in St Paul) plus the Gophers

Dislikes:
1. Cold Weather from End of Nov. to Early Apr.
2. Isolated, 7 hrs to MKE and 7 to CHI, that's about it.
3. Lack of diversity - It's pretty Vanilla here, and really no ethnic neighborhoods
4. Traffic sucks everywhere in the metro, and there is road construction all the time!
5. Lack of 'night-life'

Old 05-22-2010, 11:30 AM

4,186 posts, read 10,296,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Orlando, FL

Like:
1. Compact, walkable downtown set around a pretty lake with lots of nightlife
2. Easy day trips to both east and west coast beaches (both of which have warm water), as well as other areas like St. Augustine and South Florida
3. Winter Park's cafes and restaurants
4. Proximity to theme parks and other entertainment
5. Beautiful weather October through April

Dislike:
1. Job market
2. Very high crime rate
3. A higher percentage of punk-ish/gangster-ish looking people driving around
4. Foreclosures ruining nice neighborhoods
5. Summer heat can be exhausting at times
I agree with everything except the crime rate. It may haves spiked during 2006-2008 but it's gone down. It's on par with other metros it's size.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:34 PM

491 posts, read 1,173,890 times
Las Vegas:

Like:

1. the jagged peaks and red rocks of the mountains on my side of town
2. reasonable cost of living (not the cheapest, but certainly more affordable than CA)
3. 24 hour town- groceries, shopping, food, entertainment, etc. are available no matter how late
4. friends and family are always willing to come visit!
5. Strip views from many different parts of town- especially pretty at night

Dislike:

1. Current economy/unemployment/foreclosures etc.
2. Isolated- must drive 5 hours to get to other mid sized or large metros
3. Transient- most aren't from here and many wont stay here (including me!)
4. Hot summers- desert summers aren't as bad as some people think, but they're not ideal either
5. the "culture" (or lack thereof)- I'm over the whole clubbing/barhopping/gambling scene

Old 05-22-2010, 04:05 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
PITTSBURGH

1. Its economy is much more resilient than most people realize.

2. The natural setting is breathtaking.

3. There is an abundance of vital resources nearby -- fresh water, coal, natural gas, and some oil.

4. It's walkable and has good street life, and even the suburban sprawl isn't out of control.

5. Only New York, Boston and Los Angeles have more pro sports championships in the last 50 years.

Dislikes

1. The highway system was designed by M.C. Escher.

2. Many of the outlying river towns are still in some bad shape.

3. While it's becoming more diverse, it still has plenty of catching up to do.

4. Its reputation is even more "behind the times" than those who subscribe to said reputation think Pittsburghers are.

5. The Nutting family has ruined the city's once-proud baseball franchise.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 AM

68 posts, read 158,390 times
Columbus OH
2. Much less of a class difference between races than other Ohio cities
3. OSU area, Short North and other cool neighborhoods.
4. Political climate (Well to the left, but not obnoxiously to the left like San Francisco)
5. Good shopping and better food selection than one might think

Dislikes:
1. Horrible, godawful, drivers who think it is normal to go 35 in a 45.
2. Boring, sprawling and ugly suburbs
3. OSU football
4. The Westside (Grimy area)
5. General lack of activities Monday thru Thursday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or