U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:35 PM

16 posts, read 61,957 times

Advertisements

CHICAGO IL

1.Downtown architecture, mix of old and modern, good skyline
2. Vast variety of small businesses, food, entertainment, unique neighborhoods, etc
3. Good use of lakefront (althought LSD is annoying and exhaust is in the air)
4. Good vibrancy most days of the week
5. Decent enough sports town (although somewhat fairweather)

Dislikes

1. Pretty much 6 solid months (Nov-April) of winterlike temps and clouds
2. High level of violent crime against youths/children
3. City government is a joke
4. High cost of living (most of it hidden from the casual observer)
5. Not many interesting cities within driving distance
6. Congestion/construction and incredible suburban sprawl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:19 PM

1,125 posts, read 4,103,252 times
Boston

Likes....
1. Sports - Sox, Celts, Bruins, Pats
2. Public Transportation - MBTA!
3. Scenery, Charles/Bay, vibrant and quaint neighborhoods
4. Historical presents and architecture
5. Premier education (and healthcare) options

Dislikes
1. Winter, it stays damn cold for way to long.
2. Roads, good luck driving if your not a local.
3. Locals tend to be more reserved in attitude
4. Liberal Haven (I prefer this, but not for everybody)
5. EXPENSIVE!!! if your from the south, you will be so shocked at sticker prices...

Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,998,712 times
I'll also add for Chicago

Not a severe weather-prone area ie frequent hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, mudslides, wild fires, etc
Decent variety of good universities
Wonderful variety of housing architecture
Harold's chicken
Cost of living (I make it work for me. Of course others will have different opinions regarding their own situations)
Sarcastic tongue/humor of citizens

Dislikes:
City workers (the lazy ones)
Red light cameras
Street cleaning (a totally useless inconvenience)
CTA (doomsday drama every year coupled with poor service has gotten real old. glad I don't use them anymore)

Old 05-27-2010, 02:53 PM

129 posts, read 262,022 times
Memphis (my current city)
LIKES-
Downtown and the riverfront
Proximity to other cities (St. Louis, Dallas, NOLA, Atlanta, Destin, Nashville)
History and tourist-y things
Food! (my favorite things here are fried pickles and sweet tea!)
Local music

DISLIKES-
The racism
The INSANE drivers
Big name bands typically skip us [for concerts] so I'm stuck going to other cities

...hmmm I can't think of anything else I don't like about Memphis. I actually really like it here

Old 05-27-2010, 03:43 PM

1,617 posts, read 1,620,046 times
Las Vegas, NV

1) Weather: never gets too cold, weather is nice in fall and spring

2) Big city: lots of restaurants, shopping, easy access to airport

3) Hiking/Mountains: lots of places to hike/climb

4) More liberal feel than conservative (or at least "liberterian", meaning people really don't care what you're doing as long as you leave them alone)

5) No official sports teams (I absolutely hate all things sports-related, so that's a big plus for me)... yet (and it better stay that way!)

Dislikes:
1) Not enough thunderstorms

2) No natural greenery (or not nearly enough)

3) Too crowded/noisey

4) Lack of culture

Old 05-27-2010, 05:49 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,687,525 times
Washington, DC

LIKE:
-Job market (when the economy is good)
-Restaurants
-Public transportation (it's not ideal but still better than a lot of the country)
-Walkable neighborhoods
-Proximity to a lot of different places to go (Baltimore, Eastern Shore, Delaware and Virginia beaches, Blue Ridge Mountains, Philly, NYC)

DISLIKE:
-A lot of the people are unfriendly/cold and are status/power-obsessed
-Traffic
-Incredibly high cost of living, especially for housing
-The weather
-Lack of an identifiable culture

Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,335,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Minneapolis

1. The 10 + Lakes and the bike paths throughout the city
2. Music/Arts scene
3. The Mississippi River
4. The quality of life - sophistication, education, cleanliness and affordability (C.O.L)
5. Four Major Sport teams -Twins, TWolves, Vikes, and Wild (in St Paul) plus the Gophers

Dislikes:
1. Cold Weather from End of Nov. to Early Apr.
2. Isolated, 7 hrs to MKE and 7 to CHI, that's about it.
3. Lack of diversity - It's pretty Vanilla here, and really no ethnic neighborhoods
4. Traffic sucks everywhere in the metro, and there is road construction all the time!
5. Lack of 'night-life'
Don't like #2 and dislike #5 conflict with each other?

Old 05-29-2010, 09:24 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,335,685 times
DULUTH, MINNESOTA

1. The scenery - absolutely gorgeous, especially from Skyline Parkway, Enger Tower, or the Superior Hiking Trail. A body of water next to a big rocky / green hill makes for a nice combination.
2. Hiking - numerous hiking trails within city limits, and quick access to the North Shore
3. Biking - even though the city does not have many set bike paths, it's easy to bike on the roads and drivers are generally courteous, thanks to the lack of congestion and often ample shoulders.
4. Relative lack of HD Radio / uncrowded FM dial - Good for DXing, provided you are on higher ground and a distance away from the antenna tower
5. Lack of traffic congestion - Roads were built for an anticipated population of 100,000+, yet Duluth ended up declining in the 1970's and 1980's to 85,000

DISLIKES

1. Weather - The absolute most treacherous thing about Duluth. With the exception of this year, when it magically warmed up in March, usually there's snow on the ground from late November / early December to early April, and temperatures that would seem frigid other places (e.g. 25F for a daily high) are "balmy" in a Duluth winter, and occasionally you get a string of days that are too cold for any layering (e.g. -30F for a low, -10F for a high), and indoors is bad too, since it's so dry inside. However, summer and early fall are usually great.
2. Lack of diversity and "provincial" feel - I really like ethnic restaurants and markets, so this is a major upset. Most people drive pick-up trucks (at least in the more sparsely populated districts of the city), listen to Toby Keith, Dirks Bentley, and Montgomery Gentry, and don't know what "hummus" or "curry" is. Not that this is bad in itself, but I prefer a more diverse and especially cosmopolitan city.
3. No urban centers nearby - the closest one is the Twin Cities, 150 miles to the south. Chicago is eight hours away, Milwaukee about the same.
4. Lack of people on the street, even in "walkable" / "bikeable" areas - everybody always uses their cars, even when the destination is 2-3 blocks away. I had to deliver samples yesterday to a woman literally two and a quarter blocks away, because she was temporarily without a car and refused to walk to the store. (I walked, of course) Although there are SOME people walking / biking the streets at all times of the day, it isn't enough to give the city a "vibrant" or "vital" feel.
5. Lack of non-drinking places to go at night - By "non-drinking" I mean where you are not expected to buy an alcoholic drink. Duluth (and especially, especially neighboring Superior) has a plethora of bars, but if you're not into those scenes, you're pretty much limited to Barnes & Noble (which now closes at 10 rather than 11).

Old 05-29-2010, 10:48 AM

2,550 posts, read 3,967,959 times
Prescott/Prescott Valley, Az.

1. The weather (it gets real hot, but not like Phoenix, thank God. It's comfortable here in the summer).
2. The variety of restuarants to choose from.
3. Whiskey Row (downtown Prescott) for the shopping and nightlife is fun.
4. Lots of jogging/running/walking/biking trails.
5. Outdoorsy type atmosphere to it (if you love the outdoors, then this is the place for you).

Dislikes:

1. The people (well, not all of them. There are some nice ones, but there are quite a bit here that are racists, talk bad about everyone whether they know them or not, and rumors/gossips are bad here like a wildfire).
2. Parking lots are too small for some vehicles in some establishments.
3. Not enough jobs to go around (lots of unemployment here. I'm one of the victims of it. It's not real easy to get one here, unless they know you really well).
4. "MOM & POP" type of town (if they never knew you then you don't get treated nice and you don't get many friends, just acquaintanences. It's like only people that were born and raised here get treated with lots of respect and get to go to the fun places when something comes up because of word of mouth from close friends).
5. The mall here sucks (too small, not enough variety, and too expensive for a small town).

Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 PM

8 posts, read 11,818 times
St. Louis, Missouri

Dislikes:

Humidity in Summer
The Metrolink system's route (like E train, subway, etc - above ground track)
A particular annoying weather person (no prob though, change the channel to CBS)
That we've been known to implode a few nostalgic landmarks rather than remodel into something else
That despite 2 new highways in the last 10 years, everybody still traffic jams Interstate 70!

THE best entertainment for kids and families anywhere. See some here: [url=http://bit.ly/8YFKwZ]St. Louis Children's Recreation Examiner[/url]
Home of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team - great team, great fans, always exciting
For the most part, we fall into a safe pocket where weather is concerned - not the extremes of either Coast - no blizzards, hurricanes, earthquakes (rare anyway)
For the most part, people are still friendly and helpful
Don't have to travel really far distances to get to fun sites to see - many within an hour or less
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or