U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Status: "Land of peaches: not mountains, but better than beaches!" (set 9 days ago)

343 posts, read 327,716 times

Advertisements

Miami

2. A short drive to the Keys!
3. Great seafood.
4. Great shopping.
5. Easy to get on a plane and go somewhere else.

Dislikes
1. The weather, May - October.
2. Rampant, FLAGRANT political corruption.
3. Poorly educated population, jobs are mostly service sector and/or unskilled labor, no high-tech industry.
4. Infrastructure is overwhelmed in comparison to the number of people that live here.
5. No cultural diversity--Miami calls itself a "world city," but it isn't.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 PM

4,683 posts, read 7,403,320 times
BALTIMORE, MD

1. Proximity to both the beach and the mountains
2. Laid-back, easygoing feel compared to nearby cities like DC and Philly.
3. Food esp crabs
4. Traffic not bad compared to other cities
5. Easy access to nearby countryside

DISLIKES

1. Winters are too cold
2. Too much crime in the downtown area (though suburbs are nice)
3. Liberal politics including gentrification, Section 8 housing that spreads crime and ghetto into outlying areas sometimes, also is in state controlled by the liberal DC suburbs which push things like abortion and illegal immigration on us not to mention high taxes
4. People moving here from DC, NY, NJ, and PA
5. Don't really like the archtecture in the immediate city....not really a fan of brick rowhouses.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
Miami

2. A short drive to the Keys!
3. Great seafood.
4. Great shopping.
5. Easy to get on a plane and go somewhere else.

Dislikes
1. The weather, May - October.
2. Rampant, FLAGRANT political corruption.
3. Poorly educated population, jobs are mostly service sector and/or unskilled labor, no high-tech industry.
4. Infrastructure is overwhelmed in comparison to the number of people that live here.
5. No cultural diversity--Miami calls itself a "world city," but it isn't.
I'm surprised at "no cultural diversity", not saying its good or bad but I often hear that Miami is one of the few places in America where you feel like you're in a foreign country and is known for being an international city with lots of immigrants both legal and illegal.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Naples, Fl

Dislikes:

1. being a thousand miles from my kids
2. endless sun, heat and humidty, and lack of 4 seasons
3. cookie cutter developments
4. endless palm trees
5. snowbirds who keep saying they are in paradise

Only 2 likes I can think of:

1. Sitting on my lanai and watching the wildlife. Wish I could AC my lanai though.
2. Big T-Storms with heavy rain.
You must be the first person i've ever encountered who dislikes palm trees Not any here in Baltimore but saw some this summer in Las Vegas, L.A and Bermuda, wish there were more though.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Status: "Land of peaches: not mountains, but better than beaches!" (set 9 days ago)

343 posts, read 327,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm surprised at "no cultural diversity", not saying its good or bad but I often hear that Miami is one of the few places in America where you feel like you're in a foreign country and is known for being an international city with lots of immigrants both legal and illegal.
Miami is kind of a foreign country, and sometimes not in the good way. I've heard it called the Capital of Latin America, and what passes for "diversity" here is different flavors of Latin (which is fine, but don't tell me it represents the entire world). Even in Denver, which is derided as a cowtown (and it is), we had ethnic neighborhoods: Japanese, Russian, and Hmong come immediately to mind. There's nothing like that in Miami.

Someone told me, "What you think of Miami depends on whether you came from north of Miami or south of it." I think that's very true. The Third World attitudes seem to be most pronounced in county politics (see dislike #2), where the politicians think election to office is a license to line their pockets by taking bribes and kickbacks, and raiding public funds. Sure, all politicians do it, but the greed and hubris here is stunnning. It's sad, because I think that's a big part of what holds Miami back from being able to make the leap and attract companies with good jobs that can provide a tax base and help build the infrastructure. So: unskilled labor, overwhelmed infrastructure, many people living in what in the US would be considered substandard conditions...that doesn't say "international city" to me. Or not the sort of international city I'd want to make a home in, anyway.

(Also, I second TANaples: if I never see another palm tree before I die, I'd be OK with that.)

Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 PM

4,386 posts, read 11,645,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
2. Too much crime in the downtown area (though suburbs are nice)
]
Hm...Do some people (such as yourself) have different definitions of a downtown than the traditional one? Because Downtown Baltimore, the central business district, is not very dangerous at all.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:33 PM

744 posts, read 1,000,485 times
Orlando, FL:

Roads are in decent shape, street signs are clearly marked
Reasonable cost of living
Attractive neighborhoods near downtown and in Winter Park
Close enogh to both coasts for a day trip

Dislikes:
Way too spread out
Very dangerous drivers
newscasters that sound like gleeful robots
Obnoxious, tacky, loud commercials
Summer lasts way too long (April-Sept.)

Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 PM

791 posts, read 1,595,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Washington, DC

LIKE:
-Job market (when the economy is good)
-Restaurants
-Public transportation (it's not ideal but still better than a lot of the country)
-Walkable neighborhoods
-Proximity to a lot of different places to go (Baltimore, Eastern Shore, Delaware and Virginia beaches, Blue Ridge Mountains, Philly, NYC)

DISLIKE:
-A lot of the people are unfriendly/cold and are status/power-obsessed
-Traffic
-Incredibly high cost of living, especially for housing
-The weather
-Lack of an identifiable culture
I agree with all these points, and would add under "LIKE":
-Plenty of world-class museums, free of charge
-A somewhat-logical street-naming pattern, based on numbers, alphabetical names, and number of syllables (this is true throughout all DC, Arlington, and Hyattsville)
-Beautiful park-like areas, especially along both shores of the Potomac River
-Sophistication: the highest-educated population of any large US City
-Fascinating architecture of all types, back as far as the 1700s (in the case of Alexandria)

DISLIKE:
-Blue-collar jobs seem to all be reserved for non-white people
-Average commuting distance is very high - due to non-affordability of neighborhoods close-in, which are family-friendly
-Not enough Potomac River bridge crossings
-Rude drivers who are always using the shoulder to jump in line ahead of others, and pulling-up to block gridlocked intersections
-Lack of middle-class or ethnic neighborhoods. Very polarized -- most DC residents either have advanced degrees, or are functionally illiterate, with not much in between

Last edited by slowlane; 09-15-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 01:08 AM

71 posts, read 63,999 times
San Antonio(Albeit I have not been here long):

Like:
1. Beautiful downtown
2. Lots to do(Sea World, Six Flags, Alamo, Shopping,AUSTIN nearby,Schlitterbaun close)
3. Hispanic(Mexican) atmosphere
4. Friendly people
5. Laid back
6. Roads are generally good, little traffic

Dislike:

1. HEAT
2. HEAT
3. Lack of urbanity for such a large city
4. Lack of public transportation(light rail)
5. HEAT

Old 09-16-2010, 03:24 PM

910 posts, read 797,309 times
Cincinnati, OH

Likes-

The Food
Sports
Decent cultural variety
Affordable
????

Dislikes-

Weather
Declining conditions of some of the suburbs
Section 8 areas around downtown
It isn't really a "growing" city jobwise and economically

I plan on moving soon as I graduate college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.