U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2009, 11:53 PM
 
Location: H-town!
1,016 posts, read 1,025,792 times
Reputation: 222
Default Is Texas the south or the west?

Texas is on the border line between the west and the south. It borders Mexico so you could consider it the west but it's also on the Gulf of Mexico which would make it the east or the south.

So since Texas can be considered the west or the southeast, what do you think? When you think of Texas do you think of the west or the south?

 
Old 06-26-2009, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,607 posts, read 2,016,620 times
Reputation: 2403
I'm not trying to be mean. But we have about 20 threads on this.
 
Old 06-27-2009, 12:15 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,236 posts, read 5,654,888 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm not trying to be mean. But we have about 20 threads on this.
each about 80 pages long
 
Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,746 posts, read 3,150,976 times
Reputation: 660
I don't recall Mexico being the definition of "West", especially since it is to the south of Texas mostly. At any rate, as posters have mentioned above, this topic has been discussed to death. Overall, Texas is a Southern state. It strongly supported the Confederacy (I believe the bulk of the Confederate Army came from Texas)...it is politically and culturally aligned with the South, and crops such as cotton are prominent there, not to mention the Texas accent is unmistakably Southern. Other than the large amount of Hispanics living there, Texas is definitely aligned with the South in almost every way.
 
Old 06-27-2009, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
4,490 posts, read 4,231,375 times
Reputation: 2360
We have a bajillion threads on this.
 
Old 06-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Status: "Back to work!" (set 14 days ago)
 
9,786 posts, read 10,801,270 times
Reputation: 4964
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I don't recall Mexico being the definition of "West", especially since it is to the south of Texas mostly. At any rate, as posters have mentioned above, this topic has been discussed to death. Overall, Texas is a Southern state. It strongly supported the Confederacy (I believe the bulk of the Confederate Army came from Texas)...it is politically and culturally aligned with the South, and crops such as cotton are prominent there, not to mention the Texas accent is unmistakably Southern. Other than the large amount of Hispanics living there, Texas is definitely aligned with the South in almost every way.
Exactly right, AJ!

And, as you and other posters have said (UTHorns, West NOLA and NM to date), this one has been done to death. Literally dozens of threads on it...plus kicked and stuffed to the point of becoming one where people think "oh gawd, here we go again".

Frondo, as UT said, not trying to be mean, but this one has seemed to go on forever and in the end it is an unanswerable question. For one thing, there is simply no "right" answer to it. Personally, I think it is esentially Southern. And unbiased regional sociological surveys of Texans back that up as in the sense of considering themselves to live in the South and consider themselves Southerners.

At the same time though, others, for different reasons, may and do think different. And good reasons presented.

Bottom line is (and I don't mean this in a dismissive way) there is not much to add to this particular topic that has not already been discussed/debated a thousand times before...

Most of Texas (and lots of Oklahoma) being "western South" always seemed to me to suit perfectly. That is, a sub-region of the South where the basic history and culture of the traditional South (i.e. southeast, starting in far East Texas) is also blended with qualities of the post-bellum frontier west. Same as a state like Kansas is "western Midwest".

Western South. Not at all "West" like Colorado or Nevada, nor "Southwest" like New Mexico and Arizona. And not "Deep South" like Mississippi or Alabama.

Southern....but with a western flair about it that makes it very unique...

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-27-2009 at 01:24 PM..
 
Old 06-27-2009, 06:00 PM
 
Location: H-town!
1,016 posts, read 1,025,792 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I don't recall Mexico being the definition of "West", especially since it is to the south of Texas mostly. At any rate, as posters have mentioned above, this topic has been discussed to death. Overall, Texas is a Southern state. It strongly supported the Confederacy (I believe the bulk of the Confederate Army came from Texas)...it is politically and culturally aligned with the South, and crops such as cotton are prominent there, not to mention the Texas accent is unmistakably Southern. Other than the large amount of Hispanics living there, Texas is definitely aligned with the South in almost every way.
A lot of people in the eastern U.S. seem to think that if a state borders Mexico then it's a western state. That's why I mentioned that.
 
Old 06-27-2009, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,831 posts, read 19,073,989 times
Reputation: 6647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Texas is on the border line between the west and the south. It borders Mexico so you could consider it the west but it's also on the Gulf of Mexico which would make it the east or the south.

So since Texas can be considered the west or the southeast, what do you think? When you think of Texas do you think of the west or the south?
Texas is everything......but nothing!
 
Old 06-27-2009, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,006 posts, read 1,507,240 times
Reputation: 241
Large southern state.
 
Old 06-27-2009, 11:13 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,580 posts, read 9,307,324 times
Reputation: 1949
Texas is just Texas, its its own region
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top