U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:46 PM

598 posts, read 1,521,226 times

Advertisements

I have narrowed my relocation search to a couple of places, which I won't give away to skew responses. Of course I'm wondering if I've missed anything, hence my question. Based upon the following criteria, can anyone recommend some good places to live? Thanks for any and all recommendations.

1. Condominium or home (not a mobile home or shack) priced under $35,000. I'm not expecting more than a modest 2 bedroom 1 bath, in a mid-range area.

2. Touristy town (three season minimum) with a vibrant downtown area as well as a good presence of Bed and Breakfast Inns. I'm planning to open a small business.

3. East of the Mississippi River, EXCLUDING Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee. No offense to residents of those states, I just know they're not for me.

4. A town/city with a non-urban/rap/ghetto youth identity. I'm currently living in a city that's thick with that (and other cities prior) and want to avoid it in the next move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 07:31 PM

any ideas???

Old 06-27-2009, 08:19 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,047,857 times
Give Kentucky a second look, particularly Louisville. They have some of the cheapest housing in the nation + three seasons + a decent tourism industry around Louisville (Derby season is a pretty big deal).

I notice that your list doesn't exclude Lousiana...that may be worth a look. I'm sure you could find a cheap (probably Katrina-affected) starter home and fix it up for within your price range. And NO is pretty vibrant. No four seasons though.

Aside from that, it's hard to say. Not many vibrant areas have decent (or any) housing for $35k....

Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 PM

1,246 posts, read 2,986,088 times
You should consider the Finger Lakes wine country in New York. Rochester area. For smaller cities, consider Ithaca, Elmira, Geneva, Auburn or Canandaigua. This is an area of the country that is on the cusp of being discovered as the Napa Valley of the East.

This area has nothing to do with the NYC metro area (it's 4 hours away) so the housing prices are fairly decent.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:22 PM

681 posts, read 2,771,319 times
Honestly, your request seems impossible. A town with a thriving, touristy downtown AND housing under $35,000? Those things don't go together. They're polar opposites.

Maybe you could get hooked up with housing that low in Detroit, Youngstown or Cairo, IL...but that's about it.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Honestly, your request seems impossible. A town with a thriving, touristy downtown AND housing under $35,000? Those things don't go together. They're polar opposites.

Maybe you could get hooked up with housing that low in Detroit, Youngstown or Cairo, IL...but that's about it.
Ok, since it sounds ridiculous, and in fact isn't the case...I'll spill the beans regarding the two choices I have so far.

Saugatuck, Michigan and Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC.

Housing I've priced is just outside of the resort towns of Saugatuck/Douglas
(a few miles), and actually within Greensboro, Winston Salem and the third city in the metro...High Point.

I discovered both areas through recent visits and feel since they're not exactly hidden, or the odd exception, there must be more options that I haven't uncovered.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:55 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,776,853 times
...given your criteria, I think maybe you should be only INCLUDING Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee...well, maybe not Florida.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
...given your criteria, I think maybe you should be only INCLUDING Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee...well, maybe not Florida.
Read above....two separate cities/towns, two separate states (Michigan and North Carolina), neither in areas I wanted to exclude. What exactly would discourage me from continuing to look in areas I want to focus on?

Old 06-29-2009, 05:47 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
Well the NC towns are pleasant enough places to live but I wouldn't call them tourist areas.

What you'll find for $35K will be a modest house that needs updating, most likely in a predominately AA neighborhood that due to white flight and black flight and industrial (job) flight can be had for a bargain. No reason you shouldn't relocate if you are self employed, but you'll have to travel up to the Blue Ridge Parkway to serve the tourist trade.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:14 AM

4,948 posts, read 7,875,344 times
I don't think you're going to be able to separate the urban/rap/hip-hop thing from the areas that have houses for $35,0000 or less. Especially east of the Mississippi. Trust me, I've looked.

I have heard there are some cheap houses in some areas of Upstate New York. Unfortunately, I think the high property taxes there cancels out the affordability of the houses.

Why are you ruling out mobile homes? Finding one of those in a decent area might be more feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.