U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:19 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,623,129 times

Advertisements

The mid seventies it was a relatively "live and let live" era. Not dominated by hate and ego and greed, relative to now. IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 01:42 AM

767 posts, read 1,151,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
The mid seventies it was a relatively "live and let live" era. Not dominated by hate and ego and greed, relative to now. IMHO.
There also wasn't such a HUGE divide between Americans due to all the hatred spewed by both parties

Old 07-05-2009, 08:14 AM

4,800 posts, read 10,612,488 times
Inflation was a real problem in the seventies. I remember going to the store with my mom and every couple of weeks the price on just about everything had gone up. They were always busy putting new price stickers on merchandise.
In 1975 I remember coming home from school and watching each day as the nightly news would show a new region of South Vietnam had been conquered by the communists until that final humiliating day when our helicopters evacuated the last Americans (and Vietnamese we could cram in) from our embassy. Very depressing.
I remember crime seemed totally out of control and nobody seem to know what to do about it. Almost every crime stat was going through the roof and capital punishment was nonexistent through most of that time because the Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional.

That crime problem did make for some good crime movies. Also, believe it or not, movies in the 70s weren't shy about showing more nudity than today. Even "raunchy" teen movies today can't hold a candle to some nude scenes in a lot of 70s movies. Hollywood is actually more prudish today in that regard.
Oh one more thing, black musicians actually made music I liked listening to, instead of the menacing, angry rants that passes for music today.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:05 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,863,796 times
I've lived through both. Anybody who thinks the mid-70s are better than today should have his or her head examined.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:27 PM

475 posts, read 1,098,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I've lived through both. Anybody who thinks the mid-70s are better than today should have his or her head examined.
I agree that the 70's weren't idyllic, but at least the unemployment rate was lower and college graduates weren't having as hard a time getting and keeping a job. Outsourcing was unheard of.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,642,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
I agree that the 70's weren't idyllic, but at least the unemployment rate was lower and college graduates weren't having as hard a time getting and keeping a job. Outsourcing was unheard of.
You got that right. I graduated with my undergraduate degree in the mid-seventies and jobs were plentiful. Four letter words like outsourcing didn't exist. Job security was much better and many more workers were covered with real pension plans.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:33 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,863,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
Actually, the unemployment rate was higher. And inflation was in the double digits to boot. And the tax rates were higher.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 AM

475 posts, read 1,098,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, the unemployment rate was higher. And inflation was in the double digits to boot. And the tax rates were higher.
I agree about the inflation part, but I don't remember as many people losing their jobs back then. My husband did have a difficult time as an attorney in LA in the late 70's, as it seems that there was keen competition in his field, but I'd still say in general that the employment situation was better back then.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:30 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,300,692 times
I had hundreds of matchbox cars, my plastic skateboard was skinny with huge wheels and my bike seat was shaped like a banana. I think my bike was red, white and blue and had a picture of Evel Keneval on it. Oh, and we had no idea who Darth Vader was yet.

Today, I have one matchbox car on a shelf, I recently tried skating on the neighbors kids' ramp and almost killed myself, and my bike has thorn resistant tires and shock absorbers. Oh, and now I know who Darth Vader is and how he became an evil villain.

Those are the main differences for me between 1975 and today.

Last edited by treedonkey; 07-07-2009 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.