U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North or South Carolina?
North Carolina 18 50.00%
South Carolina 18 50.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,088,891 times

Advertisements

hey I love NC!! how is one of my fav persons in the world tonight?? i saw pics of the mountains of NC and I havent been there since I was a kid fishing in the streams of cherokee and the National park. It is amazing. I am convincing my yankee wife that we can be near the mountains in 5 hrs from Charleston SC and so we can move away from Vermont where we do our recreation now.

I fly fish, mountain bike, kayak, hike and camp and the smokies are sooo lovely

can you tell me of some great places to look up??

my sister just visited and tells me she goes to Maggie Valley, is that great ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 09:07 PM

and if they have bluegrass music i am sold

Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 PM

21,636 posts, read 30,244,343 times
Oh yes they have bluegrass and I love it! If you like to take easy hikes, go on Hwy 441 between Cherokee and Gatlinburg they have what they call quite walks and they are easy and beautiful, and most are by the creek. And I'm sure you've been on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Looking Glass Falls is on Hwy 276 (I think) you can see it from the road, Brevard has lots of waterfalls. Oh Maggie Valley is just too beautiful to describe. It's close to everything we love. If I could be only 5 hours from the mountains I'd be in "hog heaven"

Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 PM

i am about 4 hrs north of the Shenandoah Mtns of Va, now. I love it there but i cant wait to go back home and have the ocean 2 blocks away and the mountains 5 hours and the great lakes--marion and moultrie 1 hour away.

I have a time share in Gatlinburg so i can spend lots of time there

Old 04-18-2007, 11:11 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,704,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Oh yes they have bluegrass and I love it!

If I could be only 5 hours from the mountains I'd be in "hog heaven"
I LOVE bluegrass music too!

I'd also like to be within 5 hours of the southern Appalachians.

Even high up in them because there are very few places that come close to as cold as Toronto. Many places near 5000 ft have January afternoons averaging around 40 F while we our January averages 24 F in the day.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 04-18-2007 at 11:34 PM..

Old 04-18-2007, 11:32 PM

2,372 posts, read 7,761,282 times
I really like the SC lowcountry places like Georgetown, Edisto Island, Isle of Palm, Mt Pleasant and of course old town Charleston. One of my fav coastal regions in the US, very unique instead of cookie cutter sterile like some other coastal areas (like most of the overdeveloped coastal areas of the south and gulf coasts).

Old 04-18-2007, 11:35 PM

610 posts, read 2,980,459 times
I am a fan of North Carolina. Been quite a while since I've been there but there was no comparison with South Carolina. I enjoyed the people more, the prices much more, the countryside and coast even more.
Even 30 years ago, South Carolina was expensive for no discernible reason.
If I want "The South", I can hit the Georgia coast and head on down into Florida (not a Gulf state fan). North Carolina hints at being in the south, hints at being in the north. Still have Appalachia, still have the Smokeys, still have the Ocean.
Not once during the 70's when the Taylor brothers (James and Livingston) were singing songs about "Carolina" did I even consider that they might be referring to South Caroliner.
BTW, my maternal family landed and lived at Albermarle, SC. until after the Rev. war.
Peace

Old 04-19-2007, 04:08 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,383,253 times
I love both states. But I chose NC because there's more to do overall, a little more variety geographically, and a little stronger economically. But you really can't go wrong with either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or