Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,472,749 times

Advertisements

Why not look into Charlotte or Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 09:43 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,760,188 times
You probably should look more into:
San Jose, California
Portland, Oregon
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Kansas City
Omaha, Nebraska
Des Moines, Iowa

Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Chicago's western suburbs sound perfect for you. Here, take a photo tour Ive put together over the years:http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...6k-beware.html

Old 07-03-2009, 08:01 AM

13 posts, read 15,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
While the summer heat might rule them out, I'm currently in Houston and lived in Dallas for a year and a half. My wife and I (she's a New Yorker, I'm from Southern California) love both cities. Both have vibrant art and culture scenes, relatively decent economies and have a surprisingly high level of political tranquility between liberals and conservatives. This is not the xenophobic liberalism of the PNW or SF Bay Area, but it's not the culture-deficient small town conservatism you find in much of the south. I have a crunchy-conservative streak in me (we exercise, like the outdoors, healthy eating, etc.) but we also are traditional family values types. The two big Texas cities are definitely to our liking. I also visited Denver on business last month, and while I don't really know the city well, I was very impressed by what I saw.
I've spent a lot of time in Houston and have always been impressed by what I've seen.

I think Denver is probably going to be the best fit. It's a lot like the PNW without the outspoken liberalism.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:09 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,779,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMover View Post
I think Denver is probably going to be the best fit. It's a lot like the PNW without the outspoken liberalism.
Hahahahahahahaha!

Sure, without the trees/lakes/green, and just as long as you stay out of the city/county of Denver and Boulder.

Hmmmm..... anybody remember where the last DNC was? Better yet, at which football stadium did Obama give has acceptance speech?........

Old 07-03-2009, 12:24 PM

720 posts, read 2,658,882 times
Denver seems like the right fit.

David, remember where the GOP convention was held?
I wouldn't exactly call the Twin Cities conservative.
Definitely not more so than Denver.

Last edited by lndigo; 07-03-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 12:34 PM

321 posts, read 1,094,782 times
Come to Sweden, we've got Ikea everywhere!
Now seriously speaking I think that Seattle or somewhere in Colorado would be a great match.
But then like I've said before I don't have the same experience of the American cities since I haven't lived anywhere in the US.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:56 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,760,188 times
Denver is a nice city, though due to OPs preference in weather etc... I didn't mention Denver. I also didn't think OP would like Denvers nightlife.

You probably should look more into:
San Jose, California
Portland, Oregon
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Kansas City
Omaha, Nebraska
Des Moines, Iowa

Old 07-03-2009, 05:05 PM

13 posts, read 15,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Hahahahahahahaha!

Sure, without the trees/lakes/green, and just as long as you stay out of the city/county of Denver and Boulder.

Hmmmm..... anybody remember where the last DNC was? Better yet, at which football stadium did Obama give has acceptance speech?........
I don't think an acceptance speech determines the political makeup of America. Remember why the DNC chose Denver...

...to make inroads in a mostly conservative part of the country. To pick up voters who have previously been disinclined to vote for Democrats.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:41 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,779,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMover View Post
I don't think an acceptance speech determines the political makeup of America. Remember why the DNC chose Denver....

...to make inroads in a mostly conservative part of the country. To pick up voters who have previously been disinclined to vote for Democrats.
That was just one of many campaign speeches he gave in Denver. There was one at Magness Arena, very early on in the campaign that was very over attended, not to mention the huge speech that took over Civic Center Park not too long before the election.

As a previous resident of metro Denver, I think you may have its political stance a little misjudged. Metro Denver isn't exactly a "mostly conservative part of the country",

Metro Denver votes per candidate 2008, and 2004: (Denver, Adams, Arapahoe, Jefferson, Douglas and Broomfield counties)

Obama - 636,842
McCain - 438,147

Kerry - 522,673
Bush - 488,792

That was quite the inroad they made in an area they already were winning.

If you want conservative and Colorado, there is no better place to be than Colorado Springs. I just reread your requirements, and if you can bend on a few of them, you will be in hog heaven.

Indigo, the Dems held the 2004 DNC in Boston, not exactly a place they'd need to make inroads in either, but you are right concerning Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.