U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:57 AM

4,249 posts, read 9,730,111 times

Advertisements

Civil engineering is a little hard to break into because many of the employers are small firms that want you to get experience (and perhaps a P.E. license) somewhere else. They're also not too likely to pay relocation expenses. The land development design sector is the most likely to be hiring right out of school during the up times, or in the up places.

One good possibility to get started (worked for me coming out of Syracuse two recessions ago, with paid relocation) might be the federal government. Check out USAJOBS - Search Jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 11:06 AM

15 posts, read 18,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Civil engineering is a little hard to break into because many of the employers are small firms that want you to get experience (and perhaps a P.E. license) somewhere else. They're also not too likely to pay relocation expenses. The land development design sector is the most likely to be hiring right out of school during the up times, or in the up places.

One good possibility to get started (worked for me coming out of Syracuse two recessions ago, with paid relocation) might be the federal government. Check out USAJOBS - Search Jobs

I hope it'll help that I had one last summer, and I currently have an internship this summer with PennDOT, and will next summer too; so I'm gaining experience in that retrospect. I realized not exactly what some employers exactly want, but definitely SUPER better than nothing. Thank you for that search engine. It's neat. Are all the jobs ofered on there for federal gov. positions?

Last edited by aman20; 06-30-2009 at 11:15 AM..

Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,287,653 times
Top Universities for Civil Engineering:

1. University of California, Berkeley CA
2. University of Illinois, Urbana IL
3. MIT, Cambridge MA
3. Stanford University, Stanford CA
3. University of Texas, Austin TX
6. Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta GA
7. Purdue University, West Lafayette IL
7. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI
7. Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA
10. Cornell University, Ithaca NY

Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 PM

i'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not looking for universities. I'm looking for places to live AFTER I have already graduated. I'm going to Pitt. Not the BEST engineering school, but one of the tops in the nation for at least undergrad.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Actually many many engineers did their time in the summer in school working as an inspector or on a survey crew. I'd consider that very important perspective. I had three summers with the NYS DOT.

Yes, the U.S. OPM site lists federal government jobs. The job series 0810 is "Civil Engineer." You might also consider 0819 Environmental Engineer.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Actually many many engineers did their time in the summer in school working as an inspector or on a survey crew. I'd consider that very important perspective. I had three summers with the NYS DOT.

Yes, the U.S. OPM site lists federal government jobs. The job series 0810 is "Civil Engineer." You might also consider 0819 Environmental Engineer.

just curious. You don't have to say though. Where did you go after that, assuming you found success there.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 PM

I was only working for the DOT in college and summer after I graduated. No one in my area of NY state was hiring so I moved out to Iowa to work for the feds. After moving to Harrisburg PA area with the feds, with about 8 years in (and a P.E.) I left to work for private consultants. I'm still not sure if I worked too long, or not long enough, for the feds.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I was only working for the DOT in college and summer after I graduated. No one in my area of NY state was hiring so I moved out to Iowa to work for the feds. After moving to Harrisburg PA area with the feds, with about 8 years in (and a P.E.) I left to work for private consultants. I'm still not sure if I worked too long, or not long enough, for the feds.

haha. well thanks for the input. Did you like Harrisburg? haha. sad to say, but I've never actually been there. drove through plenty of times, but have never stopped.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman20 View Post
Did you like Harrisburg? haha. sad to say, but I've never actually been there. drove through plenty of times, but have never stopped.
I've been to and in a lot worse places. I'm not a big city person, but visiting larger cities from here is pretty convenient (the truckers have figured that out too). There's woods around we can get out to. The economy is better than most places, even now someone posted info about being in the top 20 economically of the 100 largest metros (I was a little surprised to learn this is one of the 100 largest metros but they may have combined it with Lancaster and York as the Nielsen market is, #46 I think). I hear it's gotten better for young people for entertainment, though coming from Pittsburgh it's probably pretty laughable in that respect. There's plenty of Western PA transplants hereabouts. You can even get a Master's degree night school at the local Penn State campus (I did that too). So far after 11 years here I haven't had trouble staying employed. Between local land development stuff, and being near PENNDOT and DEP central per capita employment for civil engineers must be higher here than average.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,580,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman20 View Post
Thank you kazoopilot. In addition, which of the mentioned are, hmm.. say, a younger population. I don't ask this to reference partying or bar hopping, etc. I just mean it towards, just making it easier for me to meet people my age perhaps. I would be around 22-23 when I would be moving.
All of the towns I mentioned have young populations, and Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids are pretty big college towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.